Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

You'd like it more if it was the original 18" tactical barrel, or just the fact that you got it for games, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I feel like I'd like the 18" model better. Not sure if that's just grass is greener on the other side of the fence talking.

My 590A1 has an 18.5" barrel and I feel solid with that thing. Even though I only ever used it for 3-gun, I feel generally more confident with it. But this 21" barrel 1301 Comp?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I still really wanna fully aimpro up a 20" 590A1. My trench gun project kinda put it on the back burner. With that being shelved (due to parts availability and because I actually really like the gun in it's sporting config as a casual clays gun), I might go about getting one.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

According to Aimpro's website, they aren't accepting any new gunsmithing for a while

https://aimprotactical.com/

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I still really wanna fully aimpro up a 20" 590A1. My trench gun project kinda put it on the back burner. With that being shelved (due to parts availability and because I actually really like the gun in it's sporting config as a casual clays gun), I might go about getting one.

You could trench gun a 590A1

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Capn Beeb posted:

You could trench gun a 590A1

While not as old school cool as a model 10 trench, significantly more plausible to complete right now, as the guy who made the repro handguards for the 10 died right before getting to my order.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Because I have the house to myself for a couple of days, it's prime time to take apart a gun.

Can anyone recommend a good video for swapping a Mossberg 870 fore end/pump thing? Do I need any special tools?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Because I have the house to myself for a couple of days, it's prime time to take apart a gun.

Can anyone recommend a good video for swapping a Mossberg 870 fore end/pump thing? Do I need any special tools?

This is the only special tool I can think of. I have taken the forend off of my 590 without it, but it's a pain in the rear end.
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Universal-Shotgun-Forend/dp/B002TUSDZI

Here is a video that is pretty short and sweet about the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZxSwt-sOw

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Found some 20 gauge AA target loads! For $130 a flat

thr33n0r
Nov 18, 2006
www.theowla.com

Uncle Lizard posted:

This is the only special tool I can think of. I have taken the forend off of my 590 without it, but it's a pain in the rear end.

This is the only challenge I had with mine as well. You can use a claw hammer supposedly, but my fore end was far too tight for that trick and I had to buy a tool.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

I feel like I'd like the 18" model better. Not sure if that's just grass is greener on the other side of the fence talking.

My 590A1 has an 18.5" barrel and I feel solid with that thing. Even though I only ever used it for 3-gun, I feel generally more confident with it. But this 21" barrel 1301 Comp?
I'm honestly deeply torn by the 1301. In it's default state, it's a light, handy, reliable semi-auto, with good sights & entirely manageable recoil when using tactical buck/slugs... but it's a tactical shotgun limited to 5+1 with no good way to mount a light or side sling. If you spend hundreds on the aftermarket furniture, you can "fix" that at the cost of making the gun bulkier and far more front-heavy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I thought you could slap an extension on and be at 7+1? That's what my Mossberg is at.

But yeah it's ultimately a lot of investment for something of limited utility compared to an equivalent cost AR when it comes to defensive purposes.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm honestly deeply torn by the 1301. In it's default state, it's a light, handy, reliable semi-auto, with good sights & entirely manageable recoil when using tactical buck/slugs... but it's a tactical shotgun limited to 5+1 with no good way to mount a light or side sling. If you spend hundreds on the aftermarket furniture, you can "fix" that at the cost of making the gun bulkier and far more front-heavy.

Yeah, extending the mag tube is going to be pricy, but fixing the sling and light mount issues is <$50 usually.

E.g., https://nordiccomp.com/categories/beretta-1301-tactical-barrel-clamp-picatinny-rail/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Uncle Lizard posted:

Ordering that tool right now. I'll pay $10 to avoid having an anger stroke.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Toshokan posted:

Yeah, extending the mag tube is going to be pricy, but fixing the sling and light mount issues is <$50 usually.

E.g., https://nordiccomp.com/categories/beretta-1301-tactical-barrel-clamp-picatinny-rail/
That clamp is designed to work with the Nordic +2 extension and won't work on the factory magazine end cap, and... see below.

The Rat posted:

I thought you could slap an extension on and be at 7+1? That's what my Mossberg is at.

But yeah it's ultimately a lot of investment for something of limited utility compared to an equivalent cost AR when it comes to defensive purposes.
The issue is, because it's imported, it's unclear whether you can add just a +2 on without maybe violating 922(r). Your only options for US made compliance parts are the Aridus/Magpul accessories and aftermarket springs/followers (or a Briley trigger group that costs just as much), so if you want that extension, you have to do all the other upgrades first.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!

Grimey Drawer

I've been lurking the thread and haven't found this specific baby's-first-shotgun discussion yet, granted i only went back 10 pages. I'm going turkey hunting in a few months and would like to purchase my own shotgun to do so. I'd also like to be able to shoot clays with this shotgun. I'd like to stick to the low end of the cost spectrum. From my random googling I've found a 12 gauge is probably what i want.

I've been wanting to go hunting for quite some time and i finally "pulled the trigger" this year. I got some turkey tags. I went on a few unsuccessful bow hunting trips for white tail this winter and even though i didn't get anything, i had a blast. And i wanna ride that high.

Teach me your ways.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

A Mossberg 500 or older, pre Freedom Group Remington 870 is probably the best choice for an inexpensive do it all shotgun. Theyre cheap, reliable, well understood and have gobs of aftermarket parts available.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Turkeys are supposed to have really good eye sight, so you may wish to look for a gun with a camo pattern.
I'd guess that most will suggest you get a semi auto, as, while a pump is good for both clays and turkey hunting, a semi will allow you a quicker follow up poo poo if necessary. This is for both turkey hunting and clay games. Some clay games throw two targets at the same time. I've seen guys shoot double trap with a pump and rack the poo poo fast enough to break the second target, but its not as easy.

As far as brands are concerned, I don't have any experience with semis or pumps, but someone here would probably recommend a "B" gun. Beretta, Benelli, Browning.
There are other good brands but those are the first that come to mind.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Whatís your budget and where are you located? Low end on the cost spectrum is different depending on where you are.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I went through a similar thought process when I was looking for my shotgun and settled on a Beretta A300 after also considering the Mossberg 930, Stoeger M3000, and Weatherby SA-08. It was pretty recent so you probably saw it.

I wanted a do-everything (or at least a "try-everything") shotgun that was capable of handling everything from wingshooting to hogs (turkeys included) from a hunting perspective. Clays were a primary consideration, so I ruled out pumps, and I can't justify the price of a good O/U. Between gas and inertia, I felt like clay shooting made gas operation a better option for me.

I really wanted wood furniture, but right now a wood A300 commands a $300 premium, and the MSRP of the wood (when in stock) direct from Beretta is $200

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!

Grimey Drawer

Thanks everyone for the info, i've got my friend at the gun store keeping an eye out for all those models now.

JRay88 posted:

Whatís your budget and where are you located? Low end on the cost spectrum is different depending on where you are.

I'd like to spend under $600 and Southeast Wisconsin.

*edit: what does "wood furniture" mean?

Loose Ifer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 28, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It means the foreend and stock are made of oiled or laminate wood, rather than polymer. Polymer is generally considered lighter & more durable, but less aesthetic.

The Rat posted:

I think the calculation might also be a little different in a state like CA, where it isn't 7 rds of 12ga vs 30+ rounds of 5.56, but 7 rds of 12ga vs 10 rds of 5.56.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

I've been looking around and found an interesting blog.
Here's one the guy did about the differences between 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 shells.

Haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but i've learned a bunch of stuff so far.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/shotgun-gauges-10-vs-12-vs-16-vs-20-vs-28-vs-410/

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Loose Ifer posted:

I'd like to spend under $600 and Southeast Wisconsin.
The Beretta a300 is going to run around $700 for the base model in black with the plastic stock but itís worth the extra over a pump gun for sure. Keep in mind when youíre buying a gun youíre buying something that will last you for life with proper care so a little extra investment up front for something that youíll be more comfortable with over the long run is almost always worth it.

Semi autos make much better general purpose sporting guns. Semi autos have less felt recoil and faster follow up shots for hunting and clays. I have a 20 gauge pump that kicks more than the 12 gauge Beretta does.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!

Grimey Drawer

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The Beretta a300 is going to run around $700 for the base model in black with the plastic stock but itís worth the extra over a pump gun for sure. Keep in mind when youíre buying a gun youíre buying something that will last you for life with proper care so a little extra investment up front for something that youíll be more comfortable with over the long run is almost always worth it.

Semi autos make much better general purpose sporting guns. Semi autos have less felt recoil and faster follow up shots for hunting and clays. I have a 20 gauge pump that kicks more than the 12 gauge Beretta does.

Yeah everyone i've asked say i should spend the extra for the semi-auto and take good care of it. Gonna try and find something with the camo pattern so i can neck me a birdo.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Loose Ifer posted:

Yeah everyone i've asked say i should spend the extra for the semi-auto and take good care of it. Gonna try and find something with the camo pattern so i can neck me a birdo.

My friend and I spent a couple hours with some spraycans and did his turkey gun using ferns, pine needles and the like from his backyard for masking. It came out really well and was fun to do. I think we used OD green, tan and black. The only thing we covered up was the ejection port. It's some basic 12ga pump though, not a berretta It's an option though if you can't find one with factory camo.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Out of curiosity, what's the best least bad AR-format shotgun option?
I keep seeing ones pop up on gun.deals and I know they're hot garbage at those price points, but it's got me wondering if someone makes a "good" one.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

poeticoddity posted:

I keep seeing ones pop up on gun.deals and I know they're hot garbage at those price points, but it's got me wondering if someone makes a "good" one.

I thought these guys were the ones to get if you wanted 12ga, but I'm no scientist.

https://www.genesisarms.com/

I have seen some talk about being able to shoot .410 in the AR 15 platform, but I haven't seen any parts for sale. I would be interested in more info on AR platform shotguns as well.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Looking to buy my first shotgun, which is also my first gun purchase in general, so please reply to me as if I am an idiot child.

First, a bit of background: my girlfriend and I recently got into shooting sporting clays thanks to a very kind whiskey company that took us out with them (we operate restaurants) after they heard that we have competed in the world championships of Big Buck Hunter (yes, the bar arcade game) and we were all curious to see if any skills translate to real-world shooting (short answer: they do).

We followed up with a couple of one-hour lessons and were talked into competing in a just-for-fun tournament that had all levels of shooters and it was SO much fun. The guys in our group were really encouraging and instructive about the format of things, and we had some pretty experienced guys with us (one NCSA master class dude and another guy got 2nd place overall in this tourney) who were pretty generous with the pointers. We were all collectively surprised at how well the arcade game skills seemed to translate the more I figured out the nuances of a real shotgun. I ended up tying our instructor after only about 3 hours of actual shooting practice (66/100) who, in his defense, claims to be a good instructor and a bad shooter.

The competitive aspect of it really hooked us and then we heard about the fun-gun tournaments that our range runs about once a month. Basic rules are handicap points for sub-12-gauge and/or a side-by-side double barrel or a pump. We want to buy something that would let us compete in the fun-guns because we have been using the A400s that our range rents out but that's all they have.

We definitely want to get a pump for the fun factor of it (and how it ties into our Big Buck Hunter overlap). My girlfriend really want something a bit lighter, and is interested in sub-gauge to ease some of the recoil, but then I read things like this:

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Semi autos have less felt recoil and faster follow up shots for hunting and clays. I have a 20 gauge pump that kicks more than the 12 gauge Beretta does.
Sounds like maybe as a choice for less recoil this isn't necessarily the best solution? I assume low-recoil rounds are still readily available in 20 gauge (she felt much more comfy shooting low recoil stuff on the A400 whereas I didn't mind)? I'm also recovering from shoulder reconstruction surgery and my surgeon told me to only shoot sub-gauge/low-recoil until around June/July, so this is a concern for me in the short-term as well.

Based on what I can find, it sounds like we are in the market for a gun marketed to children, right? The plus to this is that it seems there are some great pink-camo options out there (a fun gun should look the part, right?) and that even brand new options are under $500.

Any recommendations? We are in California, in case that affects recommendations on how or where to purchase.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

crackhaed posted:

Looking to buy my first shotgun, which is also my first gun purchase in general, so please reply to me as if I am an idiot child.

First, a bit of background: my girlfriend and I recently got into shooting sporting clays thanks to a very kind whiskey company that took us out with them (we operate restaurants) after they heard that we have competed in the world championships of Big Buck Hunter (yes, the bar arcade game) and we were all curious to see if any skills translate to real-world shooting (short answer: they do).

We followed up with a couple of one-hour lessons and were talked into competing in a just-for-fun tournament that had all levels of shooters and it was SO much fun. The guys in our group were really encouraging and instructive about the format of things, and we had some pretty experienced guys with us (one NCSA master class dude and another guy got 2nd place overall in this tourney) who were pretty generous with the pointers. We were all collectively surprised at how well the arcade game skills seemed to translate the more I figured out the nuances of a real shotgun. I ended up tying our instructor after only about 3 hours of actual shooting practice (66/100) who, in his defense, claims to be a good instructor and a bad shooter.

The competitive aspect of it really hooked us and then we heard about the fun-gun tournaments that our range runs about once a month. Basic rules are handicap points for sub-12-gauge and/or a side-by-side double barrel or a pump. We want to buy something that would let us compete in the fun-guns because we have been using the A400s that our range rents out but that's all they have.

We definitely want to get a pump for the fun factor of it (and how it ties into our Big Buck Hunter overlap). My girlfriend really want something a bit lighter, and is interested in sub-gauge to ease some of the recoil, but then I read things like this:

Sounds like maybe as a choice for less recoil this isn't necessarily the best solution? I assume low-recoil rounds are still readily available in 20 gauge (she felt much more comfy shooting low recoil stuff on the A400 whereas I didn't mind)? I'm also recovering from shoulder reconstruction surgery and my surgeon told me to only shoot sub-gauge/low-recoil until around June/July, so this is a concern for me in the short-term as well.

Based on what I can find, it sounds like we are in the market for a gun marketed to children, right? The plus to this is that it seems there are some great pink-camo options out there (a fun gun should look the part, right?) and that even brand new options are under $500.

Any recommendations? We are in California, in case that affects recommendations on how or where to purchase.

One thing to be cautious of with youth guns is that they will generally have a shorter length of pull, that is, the stock will be shorter. How tall are you and your girlfriend? Also, it might end up being best to get a shotgun for each of you. As far as semi-autos go, I think the standard recommendation around here is the Beretta A300.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Beardless posted:

One thing to be cautious of with youth guns is that they will generally have a shorter length of pull, that is, the stock will be shorter. How tall are you and your girlfriend? Also, it might end up being best to get a shotgun for each of you. As far as semi-autos go, I think the standard recommendation around here is the Beretta A300.
5í10 and 5í8, so not too much of a height or wingspan difference. We will continue to have access to the A400s that our range has, and Iíd like to eventually invest in a nicer over-under 12 gauge but for now we are really looking for something to use in the fun-gun tournaments.

Iím aware of the shorter pull, but I suppose I actually need to feel it out in person to see how much of an issue it is ergonomically. For the purposes of a purely fun-gun tourney purchase, a gun that more closely mimics the size of the gun on the arcade cabinet (which is a literal toy) isnít necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

crackhaed posted:

a gun that more closely mimics the size of the gun on the arcade cabinet (which is a literal toy) isnít necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.

crackhaed posted:

please reply to me as if I am an idiot child.
I get your thought process, but a fuckaround gun should not be your first/only gun.

First and foremost, Big Buck Hunter doesn't kick 30-ish foot/lbs into your shoulder 100 times in a row.

Second, having a gun that fits you makes a huge difference in your ability to put shot on target. Shotgun nerds take this to huge extremes, but even getting it close makes a big difference. A gun that doesn't fit will feel awkward and you will always be moving it around trying to get it pointed in the right place. A gun that fits well will just sort of click in to your movements and remove a bunch of conscious thinking you've got to do.

Sounds like you and your wife are similar builds, which is good, so a 20ga semi-auto is probably a good start.

There's not much more punishment your can give yourself in shooting sports than taking 100 shots with a 12 ga pump action. I'm a hossy 6' 3" and have hosed around and shot an afternoon of sporting clays with my 12ga pump general purpose shotgun once. Then went back to a semi. My wife uses a 20ga Benelli semiauto and despite having less shot downrange, crushes me pretty much every time anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

poeticoddity posted:

Have you looked into the SKO? It's got pretty good reviews from gun magazines and I like the shotgun I have from Standard, but unfortunately can't have an SKO myself since I live in NY and MA and it has too many illegal features.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Trying to shoot skeet or trap with a pump will break your brain. Sure, it's good practice for learning how to manipulate your shotgun quickly. But it's not great for participating in the actual sport of it.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

stealie72 posted:

I get your thought process, but a fuckaround gun should not be your first/only gun.

First and foremost, Big Buck Hunter doesn't kick 30-ish foot/lbs into your shoulder 100 times in a row.

Second, having a gun that fits you makes a huge difference in your ability to put shot on target. Shotgun nerds take this to huge extremes, but even getting it close makes a big difference. A gun that doesn't fit will feel awkward and you will always be moving it around trying to get it pointed in the right place. A gun that fits well will just sort of click in to your movements and remove a bunch of conscious thinking you've got to do.

Sounds like you and your wife are similar builds, which is good, so a 20ga semi-auto is probably a good start.

There's not much more punishment your can give yourself in shooting sports than taking 100 shots with a 12 ga pump action. I'm a hossy 6' 3" and have hosed around and shot an afternoon of sporting clays with my 12ga pump general purpose shotgun once. Then went back to a semi. My wife uses a 20ga Benelli semiauto and despite having less shot downrange, crushes me pretty much every time anyway.
I appreciate the idiot-child reply, but I think I was unclear about two points in my initial post:
We already have access to a 12-gauge semi auto (A400) that we can use whenever we want to, and this would continue to be our primarily used gun, so we are not looking to purchase something similar at this time.
We are specifically looking to get an inexpensive gun for use in a tournament format that does not allow semi-auto 12 gauges. A 20ga semi is allowable, as it is a sub-gauge, but it essentially meets the minimum requirements and we were hoping for something more in the spirit of the tournament (and that comes with more handicap points), those options being a pump or side-by-side. Handicaps are literally the point of these tournaments, so a certain degree of added hardship is part of the design. This is a gun that we would be using less than 20% of the time.
I do hear you about fit though. I could see a poor fit getting old pretty quickly...

Captain Log posted:

Trying to shoot skeet or trap with a pump will break your brain. Sure, it's good practice for learning how to manipulate your shotgun quickly. But it's not great for participating in the actual sport of it.
You guys seem awfully against the pump aspect of it, but about a quarter of the fun-gun tourney participants use a pump and they seem to be having a good time? A few of the friendlier guys at the range have let us try out different guns and ammo types of theirs, so maybe we can talk someone into letting us try out a pump for a few stations and see if I'm totally wrong about how much fun I think it would be.

Fake edit: I was looking up the handicaps and it looks like they DO allow 12 gauge semis in the fun gun tourneys now, just 0 handicap points of course. Maybe the best course of action is to keep using this with low recoil shells until my shoulder fully heals and see if I can borrow someone's pump to see if I hate it or not.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Don't get me wrong, it IS fun to work the action and trying to hit quick shots. But it's loving hard. I could see experienced people enjoying it for the challenge. But for your case, it's sorta like starting golf using a 2x4.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

crackhaed posted:

u guys seem awfully against the pump aspect of it, but about a quarter of the fun-gun tourney participants use a pump and they seem to be having a good time? A few of the friendlier guys at the range have let us try out different guns and ammo types of theirs, so maybe we can talk someone into letting us try out a pump for a few stations and see if I'm totally wrong about how much fun I think it would be.

For shooting clays the recoil with a pump really does beat you down towards the end of the day. The few times Ive taken one of my 500s out and shot 100+ shells by the time I left the range I was exhausted. My understanding is that a decent gas operated semi is going to have less recoil, which in turn is going to allow you to keep shooting longer and with less fatigues. Thats a pretty big deal.

With that said if you are absolutely sold on a pump action, why not? A decent used Mossberg 500 is still pretty cheap, and it retains value well enough that if you decide clays is something you really want to get into you wont lose much money selling it to help pay for an upgrade. This wont be all that expensive a lesson to learn the hard way.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Uncle Lizard posted:

I thought these guys were the ones to get if you wanted 12ga, but I'm no scientist.

https://www.genesisarms.com/

I have seen some talk about being able to shoot .410 in the AR 15 platform, but I haven't seen any parts for sale. I would be interested in more info on AR platform shotguns as well.

That Genesis looks pretty sweet, but $2230 is probably more than I'd be willing to pay for a range toy any time soon, unfortunately.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you looked into the SKO? It's got pretty good reviews from gun magazines and I like the shotgun I have from Standard, but unfortunately can't have an SKO myself since I live in NY and MA and it has too many illegal features.

...that actually looks like a decent range toy option. I'll have to do some more research.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

For shooting clays the recoil with a pump really does beat you down towards the end of the day. The few times Ive taken one of my 500s out and shot 100+ shells by the time I left the range I was exhausted. My understanding is that a decent gas operated semi is going to have less recoil, which in turn is going to allow you to keep shooting longer and with less fatigues. Thats a pretty big deal.

With that said if you are absolutely sold on a pump action, why not? A decent used Mossberg 500 is still pretty cheap, and it retains value well enough that if you decide clays is something you really want to get into you wont lose much money selling it to help pay for an upgrade. This wont be all that expensive a lesson to learn the hard way.

Make sure you invest in something with a GOOD recoil pad too. You'll still be tired but a thick pad will make a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone here own or have any experience with the Tavor shotgun?

Via Google, most of the published reviews have negative comments about the reliability, but recent posts on a few forums say they run fine. Is this a case of the first few to hit the market having issues that have since been fixed?