Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i dont do print but I guess this is cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

i dont do print but I guess this is cool?

really?

you're the one that's all about proper timing, style, and presentation.

that's obnoxious bullshit that completely overwhelms the content. it can only serve to distract the reader from what they picked up the paper for in the first place. that is what people are mad about when they say they hate ads

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ehh, i dont really "read"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but those transformers riding dinosaurs ripping out of the sides make me a little more interested in reading, almost enough to cross the :effort: threshold

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
pagancow: the shaggar of media?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in that he'll uinironically defend objectively awful poo poo to make a point no one cares about?

yes

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm okay with brands in movies

especially if it's done like blade runner

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this on the other hand is shameful as gently caress

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is steve jorbs a brand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theadder posted:

is steve jorbs a brand

the way you refer to him? yes

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im not so sure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about steve jobs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oval office

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

the way you refer to him? yes

Brand is the way you feel about the implicit idea an object, word, picture, or idea creates.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

Brand is the way you feel about the implicit idea an object, word, picture, or idea creates.

yes, which is the context in which theadder references jobs

not as a person but as a collection of emotional responses to the idea of jobs and his cult of personality, i.e. the brand of jobs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you want to gently caress jobs?

interesting, interesting
~furiously scribbles in notebook~

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the reality distortion field :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was but one manifestation of steve's brand

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

and yet not that it appeared distorted but was in fact distorted

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

theadder posted:

the reality distortion field :)

RDF is what people who are unaware of brand or are like "lol brand is meaningless rofl" call it when it works

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bhodi posted:

How many vectors are there to make money in theater Smythe?

none

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It sounds like you need to hire pagancow to fix that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant afford to hire ANYONE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
clicking on a pagancow thread gives you all the thrilling excitement of being stuck in an applebee's with a dude who is 3 years and 60 grand deep in DigiPen and really is starting to worry about what he's gonna do once he drops off mom's health insurance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

clicking on a pagancow thread gives you all the thrilling excitement of being stuck in an applebee's with a dude who is 3 years and 60 grand deep in DigiPen and really is starting to worry about what he's gonna do once he drops off mom's health insurance

pay $270/mo for a plan with a $4000 deductible?

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:eyepop:

that's hosed up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if people seeing a thin in a movie makes them subconsciously want to buy it then it's morally wrong even if it wasn't intended as a brand placement

much like if you watch a Michael Moore doco and it makes you angry at George bush that's immoral

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

adbusters is a brand with which i can engage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

if people seeing a thin in a movie makes them subconsciously want to buy it then it's morally wrong even if it wasn't intended as a brand placement

much like if you watch a Michael Moore doco and it makes you angry at George bush that's immoral

michael moore documentaries primarily make me angry at michael moore. i assume that's okay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

adbusters is a brand with which i can engage

the ultimate irony really.

or not really, just fairly vanilla counter-culture marketing

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

but, do you know how many like, corporations own stuff?
~free ur mind from pagancow~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was this really good article a while back about how adbusters is this crew of true believers who honestly thinks they're culture jamming the dominant paradigm and stuff it was a worthy read

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you find it post it

i would read that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I should have guessed it was in the jacobin
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2013/10/adbusted/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awesome. thanks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if you find it post it

i would read that

http://web.archive.org/web/20051124150900/http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/9/adbusters.htm I think?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

I should have guessed it was in the jacobin
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2013/10/adbusted/

wow that's the second time this author has come up today in yospos threads

is he anyone special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC