Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think Morrigan in some way sums up the mix of human arrogance and naivete in the setting. We know just enough and have just enough power to feel we're better than everyone else, but we're blind to how little we know or how weak we really are.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I assume they did this so you didn't have to have a cutscene with every character where you laid out what you just did :v: (We know it's actually because the game doesn't know who you are going to take on any given mission but I like my answer better)

e: Now that I think about it, Sera's dialogue is a bit different depending on whether you take her to the Fade or not - if you didn't she says "well I heard that was all hosed up" and if you did she sort of attacks you and says "how do I know you're you after the poo poo I just saw?"

Similarly, if you take Bull to the final fight, afterwards he talks about the people who weren't there for the boss dealing with something different. And I remember Dorian has slightly different comments for things based on whether or not he was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Odds...and ends

We finally get to the Well of Sorrows and run into Samson. Thanks to Dagna (and the fact that we're silly overleveled) it's no big deal, but if you're at the suggested level it can get kinda hairy because all his major attacks do knockdown. The worst is getting caught with whirlwind and then not being able to get back up. He has infinite stamina so he'll just spam those two over and over. Once he's dealt with then it's time to decide who gets to drink.

The first time you do this I think a lot of people go "oh gently caress no, I'm not giving Morrigan that kind of power" and it's a sensible argument. However, we decide that since a whole bunch of stuff we thought just myth and legend suddenly seem to be very possible (if not exactly as we've been told) we pass and have her drink. Then I run around Skyhold and talk to everyone one last time. Like any other mission there's no timer on the final one, but we have done every other conceivable thing there is to do so all that's left is to wrap it up. If you have any unfinished companion quests make sure you do them before starting Doom Upon All the World. The last mission is nice enough to give you a big red warning that it's the last one. Only companion quests are cut off, you can do DLC or side areas after the game ends.

And we find out about Morrigan's home life. Sure does explain why she's a bit of a weirdo. Flemeth is voiced by Kate "Janeway" Mulgrew and has been in every DA game. She's delightfully crazy. Except she's also an ancient elven goddess, whoops. And now Morrigan is bound to her will for all time. This is why you don't drink from strange wells, kids! Since Morrigan is a shapeshifter, she'll be taking on Corypheus's dragon. If we had drunk from the well, then we would have to fight a dragon and once you beat it up enough it submits and would be our dragon buddy. Just for that fight though, sadly. How awesome would it have been if we could call up every dragon we've fought instead of killing them and use them as the equivalent of a bombing run?

Also since we allied with the Sentinels instead of stabbing them you can now find them around Skyhold hanging out and having rather amusing conversations with people. It's a neat touch.

Golly guys, we're actually at the end of the game! Trespasser will take a few updates, because there's a lot to see. Once we do DUATW then the thread will open up to spoiler chat about the main game. Trespasser will still be off limits since it can go different ways depending on the poo poo we did during the main run but as we come to each branch I'll tell what I know about the alternatives. Buckle in, there's still some major poo poo coming! Also now that we're pretty much done I'll update the reserved post with a bunch of links to things we didn't see, like the romances.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 4, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Oh Morigan.

I still say Flemeth is one of the best characters in the series. The more we learn about her the more badass she appears.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I do hope those rather amusing conversations might be shown off?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

- There is always a catch. Life is a catch! I suggest you catch it while you can.

- No, you shut the gently caress up MOM!

A much shorter description of the last update.

YOTC posted:

Oh Morigan.

I still say Flemeth is one of the best characters in the series. The more we learn about her the more badass she appears.

I honestly liked her more while she was a dirty but mysterious peasant woman. I think that by revealing her boobs background she suffers as a character. VA is still awesome, tho.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 4, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ouch.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thesaya posted:

I do hope those rather amusing conversations might be shown off?
The Sentinel ones? Like any other NPC convos they're random and so I'd have to run back in forth in Skyhold for untold hours until I got them to trigger. Basically if they're talking to an elf it goes along the line of "you doofuses got it all wrong" and with humans it's "nope, elven gods totally real not allegory at all." With varying reactions of displeasure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Corypheus needs to upgrade those hoverjets. That was slow.

Also that armour looks horrible on all the male characters.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The Flemeth scene was a fair bit different when Morrigan has a kid. Wonder if there's ever going to be a payoff for that, or if it's going to keep getting kicked down the line until the series is cancelled because it was an optional choice in DA1.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

Corypheus needs to upgrade those hoverjets. That was slow.

Also that armour looks horrible on all the male characters.
Seriously. Old lady Justinia was turbo compared to him. Maybe his intakes are clogged with red lyrium

The integument looks loving hilarious on Varric. "I'm a little man in a little dress."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Seriously. Old lady Justinia was turbo compared to him. Maybe his intakes are clogged with red lyrium

The integument looks loving hilarious on Varric. "I'm a little man in a little dress."

The Skin armors give everyone, everyone skinny little right arms. Solas or an a male Elf Inquisitor? Okay, that might work. Any other male party member or Inquisitor race it looks ridiculous.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Schwartzcough posted:

The Flemeth scene was a fair bit different when Morrigan has a kid. Wonder if there's ever going to be a payoff for that, or if it's going to keep getting kicked down the line until the series is cancelled because it was an optional choice in DA1.

Maybe. If the next game gets another decade plus time skip (which it likely will t account for all the changes to status quo this game had).

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Anybody else watch that scene with Morrigan reading and going all "Ah I understand now! Hahaha" and imagine she was holding a Magic Eye picture book?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Geostomp posted:

Maybe. If the next game gets another decade plus time skip (which it likely will t account for all the changes to status quo this game had).

Doesn't seem like it, since whatever Morrigan's plan was involved the Old God's soul, which isn't around anymore in that other version.

Alternatively, If you don't do the ritual, but do "romance" Morrigan in the first game then she still has a kid (whoops) but it was an accident and dark ages birth control failed again. Luckily there isn't an Old God kicking around in him at least, and Morrigan still winds up trying to be a better mother than Flemeth.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I must confess, I've never chosen Leliana as Divine. Cassandra is perfect for this job, with the right character to being a religious and moral leader. Vivienne doesn't even know the world "morals", it's all about power for her. Which is why I once chose her as Divine, to see how badly she can gently caress up. Leliana may be a good spymaster, but that's not exactly something that recommends her for being the next Divine. Also, she's probably too radical, I have a hard time believing that the old chantry hierarchy will just accept the changes she has in mind.

I kind of wish they would just make the god baby canon, it seems too important to the setting to have so little consequences.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
But even Justinia sometimes needed to do shady poo poo. That's why Leliana was her left hand. And you can soften her to prevent the halls of the chantry running red with the blood of rebels against her reforms.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Montegoraon posted:

But even Justinia sometimes needed to do shady poo poo. That's why Leliana was her left hand. And you can soften her to prevent the halls of the chantry running red with the blood of rebels against her reforms.

Murderpope Leliana is the best because her position is literally "Love and equality are the Maker's greatest gifts. Love one another and all shall be well. If you don't agree I will personally slit your throat."

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah..... I put Lelianna in control because I wanted Cassandra to focus on remaking a better Seekers. That and Lelianna just hamstrings every effort opposed to her. I softened her even and she STILL takes out every rebellion opposed to her in one fell swoop. Meanwhile I wouldn't put Vivienne in charge of a WALMART much less the chantry. If there was a way to get her killed I'd take it because I actually DON'T want her in any position of power. The only member of my party that I don't feel like makes the world a better place somehow is her.

Bull in the chargers or ben hassrath is a good guy who does what he can to make the world better and enjoy himself. Varric is my bro and puts up with Kirkwall and my characters, this automatically means he is a good patient person. Cole is the nicest fade spirit you'll ever not remember meeting. Sera....I don't like much honestly but she does what she can to right wrongs where she sees them. Blackwall has been trying to atone for himself for years and continues to do so if you keep him from being killed. Cassandra is just great, I really like what they did with her compared to her scenes in DA2. Dorian is the nicest most sane Tevinter mage you'll ever meet unless the next game is in Tevinter and actively tries to make his country a better place for everyone. And Solas is constantly trying to make the world a better place and more understanding of spirits though he doesn't always succeed..... The only good point Vivienne has is that she IS trying to make the world better for mages.....but she largely feels like she is doing that for her own personal political gains and to have a more extravagant life to look down on the plebs from(And her ending where she's divine is just a POWDER KEG that will explode the moment she dies...or perhaps just after the most recent dlc. I don't know yet because I've not had a chance to play it and am not looking up the endings until I've at least seen it gone through once.).

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Chaeden posted:

I don't know yet because I've not had a chance to play it and am not looking up the endings until I've at least seen it gone through once.).

You should probably do that soon. I can guarantee that you will re-evaluate a few characters based on how you choose to conclude it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

Murderpope Leliana is the best because her position is literally "Love and equality are the Maker's greatest gifts. Love one another and all shall be well. If you don't agree I will personally slit your throat."
"And introduce you personally to the Maker :kheldragar:"

So yeah, let's talk about the Divine thing since the game spoiled poo poo I was gonna bring up after we finished. Once you get back from Halamshiral you get the "Cassandra and Leliana need to totes get to Val Royeaux because one of them is going to be the next Popette." Viv is never mentioned. Except then you go talk to her and she's all "hey I know who would make a great Divine *wink wink*" and you can actually support her for this. However this conversation doesn't always come up, I believe it's tied to approval and while we pissed Viv off in freeing the mages we're still in really good with her. Some people didn't know Viv can end up as Divine and got royally pissed off when she did. My first time through the game I got her, to my great surprise since I didn't know she was an option.

What Divine you end up with isn't necessarily the one you support, FYI. It has to do with things you did during the game and I've been steering us towards a certain outcome, that part I won't reveal yet. Watch something have gotten hosed up and we end up with someone completely different :v:

Basically we've got one more video and then this turns into a spoiler free-for-all, so sit tight with your questions, speculation, and reveals. Depending on how my evening goes may be able to have it up tomorrow.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Make Sera the Divine. Her head would probably explode.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sera's or Viv's? Actually on some fronts Sera would be a great Divine. She cares about the downtrodden and poor, and as Varric would say, doesn't give 2 tin shits about tradition. So like Cass says, spend money on the poor instead of cathedrals and fancy gowns. Would also take giant shits all over the nobles. On every other matter she'd be an unmitigated disaster but hey, nobody's perfect!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Would also take giant shits all over the nobles.
Literal or figurative? Honestly, probably one than the other.

I *SO* want to look at the other endings right now, but I'll force myself to wait until you're done playing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I see Leliana making the most sense as new pope. Her entire character from Origins has revolved around her relationship with the Chantry, she was the closest person to Justinia, had the most similar backstory to hers, and this game makes a point about you trying to soften her back to her old ways (or push her even harder into the stabbing lifestyle). Cassandra will definitely do well in the job, but she seems far more comfortable hitting things than dealing with politics and we've already gone over Vivienne's issues.

Plus it means that the Warden can end up openly sleeping with the new fem-Pope which is kind of hilarious, especially for a mage or non-human.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Plus it means that the Warden can end up openly sleeping with the new fem-Pope which is kind of hilarious, especially for a mage or non-human.

Also Isabela has the honor of banging the Hero/Queen of Fereldan, King of Fereldan, Divine Justinia, and the Champion of Kikrwall (some of them at the same time).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Geostomp posted:

I see Leliana making the most sense as new pope. Her entire character from Origins has revolved around her relationship with the Chantry, she was the closest person to Justinia, had the most similar backstory to hers, and this game makes a point about you trying to soften her back to her old ways (or push her even harder into the stabbing lifestyle). Cassandra will definitely do well in the job, but she seems far more comfortable hitting things than dealing with politics and we've already gone over Vivienne's issues.

A fun thing: If you played a lady warden in DAO who romanced Leliana but still married Alistair to be queen, Leliana's intro at Halamshiral includes "mistress of the Queen of Ferelden."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A fun thing: If you played a lady warden in DAO who romanced Leliana but still married Alistair to be queen, Leliana's intro at Halamshiral includes "mistress of the Queen of Ferelden."

It's the same for a male Cousland Warden king, but I never bothered with that after I realized just how boring sword and shield warriors were in Origins and signed on to my "Mage all day, every day" policy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Guys. Guys. Our last episode of the main game is rendering :dance: Should be up tonight.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Guys. Guys. Our last episode of the main game is rendering :dance: Should be up tonight.

All aboard the hype train

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
choo choo

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:toot:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:bandwagon:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Coryphyshit

The final confrontation. And boy, do we kick the poo poo outta that guy. It always goes this way unless you only did story missions, I guess. A lot of people are disappointed by how easy the last fight is. I get that, and it would have been cool to have a multi-stage thing like Origins where you switched between groups of companions fighting off the demonic hordes. In some ways though, it's nice to just be like "gently caress you, I'm the Inquisitor, spent all game kicking rear end cya bye." Also there's no ambiguity or the possibility of a different ending like the debacle of ME3. Dead, done, over. We return to Skyhold a big fuckin' hero and get a nice party out of the deal.

Softened Leliana is our Divine. If we hadn't softened her then she'd become what's affectionately referred to as Murderpope and instead of convincing everyone to work together she just :ese: anyone that starts poo poo. If Cass becomes Divine then she implements some reforms (not as many as Lel but a good start) and is generally liked. Viv is a complete loving disaster and ruthlessly quashes any dissent or rebellion. A lot has been speculated and written about how the Divine is selected, but the major factor is whether you allied with mages or templars and what you did with them. Free mages = Leliana, conscripted mages = Viv, and allied templars = Cass. If you choose to dissolve the templars it still leans towards Cass but then secondary factors like which adviser you use the most for war table missions comes in. All in all our game choices result in a pretty stable and happy Thedas. The poo poo goes down with the Wardens whether you banished them or not, and it makes no difference who survives the Fade.

Oh, and it turns out SOLAS IS MOTHERFUCKING FEN'HAREL JESUS CHRIST This explains a hell of a lot. Also some people speculate that FleMythal gives up her poo poo willingly but it doesn't read that way to me. She looks really surprised, and the way he says sorry just makes me think some bad poo poo went down. Things are far from settled and there's clearly more trouble brewing on the Horizon.

Fun facts about this LP:

Total playtime at post-credits save is just over 144 hours. If we say average video length is 30 minutes (which is erring on the high side) then there's around 108 hours of poo poo I cut. You're welcome.

I do not have a capture device. This has all been done with my PS4's onboard recording.. The PS4 has a recording limit of 15 minutes. And it's also why sometimes I've hosed up recordings because if you don't properly mash the button or save it afterwards it's gone forever - there's no way to find it on the hard drive. Rough editing is done on the console with Share Factory, which is a free program on the PS store. Final editing and rendering I do on my laptop, as well as record commentary.

I've never done an LP before. I may never do one again :v: Or at least if I do it will be on a game you can finish in 10 hours.

Only Trespasser is left and that shouldn't take too many updates. :siren:THREAD IS NOW OPEN TO ALL MAIN GAME SPOILERS:siren: Don't spoil anything from Trespasser.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Corypheus definitely had more oomph in his DA2 fight but at least he remembered a few of his old tricks for round 2.

Total playtime at post-credits save is just over 144 hours. If we say average video length is 30 minutes (which is erring on the high side) then there's around 108 hours of poo poo I cut. You're welcome.

:stare:

Fantastic work on the main game, I only regret that I have just one 5 to give.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, Solas is also an elven god and he just absorbed Flemeth. Who else is an elven god, am I one too?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

So, Solas is also an elven god and he just absorbed Flemeth. Who else is an elven god, am I one too?

Well, Flemeth is more of a fusion between a human woman and the tiny remains of a "dead" elf "goddess" (who seem less divine than absurdly advanced mages). Said tiny fragment was enough to make her more powerful than any known abomination so you can see what kind of power we're talking about here.

Solas is also one, but he lost almost all of his power because he was sleeping for so long.

Looking back, there have been a couple of hints that Flemeth had a connection to elves since the first book: both it and DAII showed the Dalish have reverent awe/fear of her while her only response was to ask if they really knew who she was. She also referred to them as just "the people" which is what "elvhan" is supposed to translate to.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 8, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Spectacular LP. :golfclap:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Disco Infiva posted:

Maybe, how do you feel about frolicking?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Maybe, how do you feel about frolicking?

It wholly depends on who I'm frolicking with and how many flowers are involved.

Geostomp posted:

Well, Flemeth is more of a fusion between a human woman and the tiny remains of a "dead" elf "goddess" (who seem less divine than absurdly advanced mages). Said tiny fragment was enough to make her more powerful than any known abomination so you can see what kind of power we're talking about here.

Solas is also one, but he lost almost all of his power because he was sleeping for so long.

Looking back, there have been a couple of hints that Flemeth had a connection to elves since the first book: both it and DAII showed the Dalish have reverent awe/fear of her while her only response was to ask if they really knew who she was. She also referred to them as just "the people" which is what "elvhan" is supposed to translate to.

I only played DA:O, never played DA:2 past the intro or read any DA books so it kinda came out of left field for me, since I'm still stuck in DA:O mindset concerning Flemeth. Thanks for the quick write-up tho, much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hey, we've already killed one would-be God today. Solas wants to start some poo poo? Try it motherfucker

• Locked thread