Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«17 »
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ASK ME HOW TO CUT PINEAPPLE LIKE A BADASS

Timby posted:

This is needlessly complicated.

1) Dump milk in IP, hit Yogurt button on IP until it says boil, wait until it beeps
2) After beeping, remove the lid, hit the Yogurt button again for boiling but let it go for another five minutes
3) Remove inner pot, let it sit until it hits 115 (30 - 40 minutes or so)
4) Ladle ~1 cup of milk into a mixing bowl with two tablespoons of active yogurt, stir it up, scrape back into inner pot
5) Replace inner pot in IP, set on yogurt function for 8 hours
5)(b) If you prefer thicker yogurt, put in a strainer after cooking

I found it even simpler with a sous vide rig, although this is the wrong thread.

1) Put milk in container which can stand 180, sous vide to 180.
2) Cool milk to 110 or so (faster if you run water over the container).
3) Add 2T of yogurt to container.
4) Reset sous vide for 110 for 8-12 hours.
4)(b) Strain if desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004
Interested party

Mu Zeta posted:

You make it into a slurry by mixing it with 2 cups of chicken broth then add it to the main pot. The pot should already have 2 more cups of chicken stock, vegetables, and meats cooking. The main difference is that ATK recommends putting in the roux mixture near the end of cooking.

You can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4

It definitely doesn't look traditional. It's way thicker than the ones I've had at restaurants and they use about double the roux of most recipes.

It doesn't sound good.

E: Better make sure your thighs are boneless. Not too spice y'all, only 1/4 tsp black pepper.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at May 10, 2018 around 04:58

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

panties

If Chris Kimball was there he would skip the hot sauce

Use your own recipe for the rest of the ingredients but I think the dry roux in the oven works.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

It doesn't sound good.

E: Better make sure your thighs are boneless. Not too spice y'all, only 1/4 tsp black pepper.

The rest of the recipe is obviously not useful, but I am gonna give the flour technique a shot. I like my roux super dark, so the oil always starts to juuuusssst smoke at the end. I am hoping that toasting the flour before mixing into oil can get me the dark roux flavor, without the hint of acrid burned oil I always get.

If not, I'm only going to be making about a 1/2 gallon of that recipe, while simultaneously making 5 gallons of normal, so no big loss.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I made awesomely delicious turkey legs last night in the pressure cooker. Browned 3 legs in butter and a little oil then set aside. Tossed in 1 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 chopped apple, about 5 carrots, half a dozen quartered radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 or so bottle of red wine, fresh sage and basil. Once the pot was deglazed I put the legs back in and cooked on high for 30 minutes. Remove legs and reduce the sauce. Jeebus it was delicious.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

wormil posted:

I made awesomely delicious turkey legs last night in the pressure cooker. Browned 3 legs in butter and a little oil then set aside. Tossed in 1 chopped yellow onion and 1/2 chopped red onion, 1 chopped apple, about 5 carrots, half a dozen quartered radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 or so bottle of red wine, fresh sage and basil. Once the pot was deglazed I put the legs back in and cooked on high for 30 minutes. Remove legs and reduce the sauce. Jeebus it was delicious.

Do you serve them whole, or take the meat off the legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carillon posted:

Do you serve them whole, or take the meat off the legs?

I served them whole because it was just me and the kids but it would nicer off the bone. e; the meat was falling off the bone as it was but we were all starving and had no patience.

wormil fucked around with this message at May 11, 2018 around 03:08

«17 »