Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

Oh, yeah, you can go the other way too. For the liquid thing, I was thinking that a stovetop pressure cooker heated with a proper burner has a different temperature curve than an electric one with a lovely little built-in element. So the stovetop one might get hotter faster and change how much liquid you extract or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Anyone made this in an instant pot?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...rde-recipe.html

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other people’s experience is.

It's a great recipe (all kenji's are)

Don't add extra liquid!

Never do that, it fucks up the food and you'll spend forever thickening it back down again. I don't know where the whole 'needs 1 cup of liquid' thing comes from, but as long as there's enough liquid in the ingredients to release, boil and build the pressure you're fine.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of !

nwin posted:

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other peopleís experience is.

I've made it a bunch kind of a go to for need to use some chicken and it freezes well. It's great as written and reducing to the thickness you like.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

From what I've experienced, if you've got mostly dry stuff in the IP you will need 1/2 cup of liquid to get it to seal. Any less and it won't work, but 1/2 cup seems to be that magic spot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other peopleís experience is.

I made it going strictly by the directions and it loving RULES. I was celebrated as a great chef.

Also I might need to upgrade my pressure cooker- mine canít be set for exact times, just chicken, soup, rice, etc. and itís annoying. Whatís the conventional wisdom these days on best large size instant pot? Have people warmed up to the new fancy high pressure model?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

pim01 posted:

It's a great recipe (all kenji's are)

Don't add extra liquid!

Never do that, it fucks up the food and you'll spend forever thickening it back down again. I don't know where the whole 'needs 1 cup of liquid' thing comes from, but as long as there's enough liquid in the ingredients to release, boil and build the pressure you're fine.

It comes from my own experience with the 6 quart instant pot. It doesn't come up to pressure without added liquid. It also says in the manual.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I've got the same model and it's always fine - given that your ingredients contain enough liquid of course.

What sort of recipes for pressure cooking are you following where there's only dry ingredients, I'm quite curious now - in that kenji recipe up above, there's more than enough liquid between the tomatillos and the chicken, for instance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

I have the 8 qt model and while I'm still getting used to it, I've definitely noticed it needs water and a little more than most recipes do because they design for the 6 qt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a stovetop and it can come to pressure more easily with just the liquid from tomatoes. With my IP I have to add a cup of water at least.

You may want to exchange it for another or try changing the seal, mine has no trouble at all.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What makes them spicy?

Oops, 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Also forgot that I added garlic.

«21 »