Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I liked this stew more than the Colombian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah that one rules

i really cant stand eating chicken legs in a stew (i know you can use whatever cuts you want). i only want to use a spoon to eat soup.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

angerbeet posted:

I see people say this but it seems to me like my 6-quart whatever gets up to a pretty good simmer in a few minutes?

Yeah, my 8-quart has no issues simmering liquids, and when I get it up to heat, I put it on the slow cooker function to just hold it there.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Bunk posted:

dont be scared to experiment with the colombian stew either. my last batch got a couple cloves of garlic, frozen coconut, a cinnamon stick, the last of a bunch of cilantro and some tamarind extract, and was delicious

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, my 8-quart has no issues simmering liquids, and when I get it up to heat, I put it on the slow cooker function to just hold it there.
it can preheat to maybe medium-high but the IP's sustained saute output is more like a sad medium that will never brown your meat if you crowd it, so yes it's probably a lot faster if you want to reduce something to do it on high on the stove

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

poverty goat posted:

dont be scared to experiment with the colombian stew either. my last batch got a couple cloves of garlic, frozen coconut, a cinnamon stick, the last of a bunch of cilantro and some tamarind extract, and was delicious

I've had bad luck adding raw garlic to that stew, but maybe the other stuff helps it out. When we did it, it was unpleasant. Not bad, just not as good and definitely less good than the original.
We've had success using a jar of salsa instead of the tomatoes however.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

toplitzin posted:

I've had bad luck adding raw garlic to that stew, but maybe the other stuff helps it out. When we did it, it was unpleasant. Not bad, just not as good and definitely less good than the original.
We've had success using a jar of salsa instead of the tomatoes however.

I.... uh...

You’re obviously welcome to put whatever in whatever you want, but garlic being unpleasant and salsa being good?!?! No bueno, IMO.

Try a couple of pasilla/bigger bell style peppers and two cloves of crushed garlic.

We have different taste buds/palates, but I’d rather put some of the components of a salsa sans sugar and tomato in the stew instead of a can of salsa

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

McStephenson posted:

I.... uh...

You’re obviously welcome to put whatever in whatever you want, but garlic being unpleasant and salsa being good?!?! No bueno, IMO.

Try a couple of pasilla/bigger bell style peppers and two cloves of crushed garlic.

We have different taste buds/palates, but I’d rather put some of the components of a salsa sans sugar and tomato in the stew instead of a can of salsa

Canned salsa? What? No. Dear god no. Just, what?

http://imgur.com/a/AAgPsOQ

I mean it's mostly the same ingredients anyway. Tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt.

I just added some whole cloves of fresh garlic and felt it wasn't an improvement. Sometimes pressure cooking fresh garlic does weird flavors imho.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
We cannot escape salsa chicken. It has infected this place too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dino. posted:

We cannot escape salsa chicken. It has infected this place too.

Hot take: salsa is just mirepoix with tomato and jalapeños

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

The Bunk posted:

gently caress serious eats. Why does that photo have a basil leaf in the soup bowl still? You don't serve anything in the bowl that you can't/wouldn't eat.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Trastion posted:

gently caress serious eats. Why does that photo have a basil leaf in the soup bowl still? You don't serve anything in the bowl that you can't/wouldn't eat.

1) That’s a bay leaf, not a basil leaf.
2) Removing the bay leaf or not is a cultural thing, some places it’s left in and getting it in your bowl is considered a sign of good luck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Trastion posted:

lol

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Trastion posted:

If you don't leave the bay leaf in, how do you know who has to do the dishes?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hot take: salsa is just mirepoix with tomato and jalapeños

No, that has a name and it's escaping me right now.

Fake E: sofrito.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I made instant pot corned beef, cabbage and potatoes and holy poo poo it was great. Using beef broth instead of water as the liquid turned the cabbage from good to amazing.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 19, 2019

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like the idea or corned beef but I don't think I've ever had it. Maybe as lunch meat? Do you have a recipe?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I didn't want to write it up so googling came up with drat near the same thing I did.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage/
I used 4 cups of beef broth but I don't think it matters that much. It calls for pre-packaged corned beef brisket. I've never made one from scratch.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

I didn't want to write it up so googling came up with drat near the same thing I did.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage/
I used 4 cups of beef broth but I don't think it matters that much. It calls for pre-packaged corned beef brisket. I've never made one from scratch.

It's pretty easy and highly recommended if you Costco - they have USDA Prime briskets for $3.something / lb . I usually quarter it, use the flat pieces for corned beef, and smoke the the flat/point.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Bunk posted:

It's pretty easy and highly recommended if you Costco - they have USDA Prime briskets for $3.something / lb . I usually quarter it, use the flat pieces for corned beef, and smoke the the flat/point.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

I did this last year- bought a whole brisket, made the flat into corned beef for st patrick's day, and smauxed the point. The corned beef was good but nowhere near the kind of breakthrough you might expect for all the effort, so I just bought one at the store this year and cooked it on the stovetop for 3 hours as usual, but goddamn the point was some of the best brisket I've ever eaten and I should do it again sometime

None of this involves a PC, though, sadly

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Made this: https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/

Was good. Needed to get my browning game on better, took a long time to do 3 lbs of beef in chunks. Gravy wasn't thick enough, so I made a quick roux with butter + flour and added it, did wonders and thickened up quickly to a good consistency. Flavors are good, bacon is probably overkill but hey whatever it's bacon so keep it. Mushrooms really help with substance, I liked the idea of cooking them in butter+garlic and adding during the reduction at the end rather than letting them get terribly mushy in the pressure cook. I think I used the wrong wine (pinot noir instead of burgundy/chianti/merlot/whatever else) but still tastes pretty good. My second IP cook, my buddy from work lent me his and told me to experiment and tell him "all the good poo poo".

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I tried to cook a pound of chickpeas per some recipe and they turned into complete unusable mush, mostly just bits of chickpeas but the intact ones had no texture left either. I soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 10 minutes (some recipes recommend 20), and let them cool for 15 minutes before I popped the seal. The seal definitely wasn't ready to be popped, and boiled up and sprayed out of the tap. Did the flash boiling at the end just blast them apart, or did I gently caress up some other way?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Make a boatload of hummus with the remains

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

poverty goat posted:

I tried to cook a pound of chickpeas per some recipe and they turned into complete unusable mush, mostly just bits of chickpeas but the intact ones had no texture left either. I soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 10 minutes (some recipes recommend 20), and let them cool for 15 minutes before I popped the seal. The seal definitely wasn't ready to be popped, and boiled up and sprayed out of the tap. Did the flash boiling at the end just blast them apart, or did I gently caress up some other way?

I pressure cooked a pound of dried chickpeas about 3 weeks ago, overnight soak, 20 min under pressure, 15 min release, and they were perfect. Maybe you had bad beans?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Do you have a stovetop cooker, or an electric one? I'm assuming the former. In my presto with chickpeas I usually aim for ~8.5 minutes and natural release (their table says 7-10). Were they split chickpeas or whole? If even the whole ones had no texture they were probably over-cooked, I wouldn't imagine even a more gentle release helping it. Oh, and after the cooking time did you remove the cooker from the heat? It should be taken off the burner and placed on a cool one to get the cooking right.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Do you have a stovetop cooker, or an electric one? I'm assuming the former. In my presto with chickpeas I usually aim for ~8.5 minutes and natural release (their table says 7-10). Were they split chickpeas or whole? If even the whole ones had no texture they were probably over-cooked, I wouldn't imagine even a more gentle release helping it. Oh, and after the cooking time did you remove the cooker from the heat? It should be taken off the burner and placed on a cool one to get the cooking right.

Instant pot. They were definitely whole chickpeas, but store brand from food lion. Is it possible they were parcooked or something? Is that a thing? I know that fast pressure release can cause weirdness- theres a split pea soup recipe somewhere that actually prescribes quick-release right away after cooking to effectively puree them.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

poverty goat posted:

Instant pot. They were definitely whole chickpeas, but store brand from food lion. Is it possible they were parcooked or something? Is that a thing? I know that fast pressure release can cause weirdness- theres a split pea soup recipe somewhere that actually prescribes quick-release right away after cooking to effectively puree them.

I've had a similar issue quick releasing lentils and having them become pure mush

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Found the split pea recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/30-minute-pressure-cooker-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

quote:

Rapidly releasing the pressure causes the contents of the pressure cooker to vigorously boil, turning the soup creamy with no need for a blender.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Did the recipe call for soaking? Those cook and stand times sound way long for already-hydrated chickpeas.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TheCog posted:

I've had a similar issue quick releasing lentils and having them become pure mush

This is a very convenient time saver for making dal. Just add a tarka and rice and you've got most of a meal. Achar and/or kachumber and you're there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone have any good recipes that use ground beef? I’ve been using a lot of chicken breast and I’m kinda over it and want to switch to ground beef if that’s even possible?

The lower calorie the better.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poverty goat posted:

It must just be that then, I've never released the pressure early on my pressure cooker so I may be wrong. The cooking chart on the instant pot site indicates 10-15 minutes for soaked chickpeas so if you had some fresh, smaller chickpeas then they may have just been nice and soft at the 10 minute mark.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Did the recipe call for soaking? Those cook and stand times sound way long for already-hydrated chickpeas.

Chickpeas usually take a bit longer than other beans, maybe 50%. I'd guess those times are about right, but may overcook black beans or pintos.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made a beef stew, 1 lb browned chuck chunked, one medium butternut squash diced, 1 leek, a pile of chopped shiitake, 1 chopped large onion, sliced large carrot, sliced rib of celery, a quarter size piece of fermented hot pepper mash, bay leaf, salt, pepper, 1 can of crushed tomatoes, 1 TB soy sauce. No additional moisture. Hit the stew button and about 40 minutes later delicious, thick, beef stew. I added about 1/2 cup of homemade concentrated beef stock to cool it down and boost the beefy flavor. I really like the squash in the stew.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone have any opinions on this line of IP bakeware? I've got a mini and most of what I've found are for the 6 and 8 quart models.

Side question: are there any Instant Pot Mini cookbooks worth a drat? Going by the reviews it seems like most of them are lazy cash-ins. I know there's tons of recipes online but I like having a book I can keep in the kitchen.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What's the benefit of baking in a pressure cooker instead of an oven?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Couldn't tell you; I'm still new at this and there's tons of baking recipes online for ips so I figured there was some advantage.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Never done it but imagine it would be similar to using a steam oven and benefit of not having to turn an oven on and heat up the kitchen as much etc.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It's basically no effort to make sure your cheesecake won't crack, if you care about cracked cheesecake.

Also uses much less energy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on this line of IP bakeware? I've got a mini and most of what I've found are for the 6 and 8 quart models.

Side question: are there any Instant Pot Mini cookbooks worth a drat? Going by the reviews it seems like most of them are lazy cash-ins. I know there's tons of recipes online but I like having a book I can keep in the kitchen.

Fat Daddio is a decent brand, go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

effika posted:

It's basically no effort to make sure your cheesecake won't crack, if you care about cracked cheesecake.

My one and only pervasive fear :ohno: