Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the America’s Test Kitchen books, shows and youtube channel, they have a lot of good tips and recipes! I hadn’t seen that one I should pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
anyone got a good veggie stock recipe?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

anyone got a good veggie stock recipe?
I rarely use recipes, but you can pressure cook this if you want.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

me either, I just can't seem to get my veggie stocks to carry the same punch as meat based ones. Bones and all is obviously the biggest but figured I'd ask. The kombu is definitely a good idea, thank you

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

THE MACHO MAN posted:

me either, I just can't seem to get my veggie stocks to carry the same punch as meat based ones. Bones and all is obviously the biggest but figured I'd ask. The kombu is definitely a good idea, thank you

Punch meaning velvety mouthfeel? That's bones, yup. Umami/actual flavor? That's tasty, tasty flesh. Veggie 'stock' seems like a weird concept. Do y'all add mushroom or something for flavor?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I feel like roasting/charring the hardier veg would add some flavour.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
When I make veggie stock it really is mushroom stock with friends.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

effika posted:

When I make veggie stock it really is mushroom stock with friends.

That makes sense. I hereby dub vegetable 'stock': Roo Ju

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

droll posted:

Punch meaning velvety mouthfeel? That's bones, yup. Umami/actual flavor? That's tasty, tasty flesh. Veggie 'stock' seems like a weird concept. Do y'all add mushroom or something for flavor?

If the final dish is going to have mushrooms I do. If not, I usually sear a shitload of onions

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Instant Pot congee was amazingly easy, and will now be a staple in my diet. Think I'm gonna try 5.5:1 instead of 6:1, see if there's a big difference.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I save veg scraps in gallon freezer bags, when I have 2 bags I make stock. Sometimes I have to pour hot water over them to thaw to get it all in the pot.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
There's probably no reason you cant use grains in a veggie stock to create mouthfeel.

if I were looking to create mouthfeel in a beer I would add flaked oats.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Vegetable broth is totally a thing and not remotely new.

For a thicker mouthfeel, can just straight-up add gelatin if you want, or agar/etc. if the goal is to make it vegan. Another option is using an immersion blender on the vegetables afterward -- not to add taste but it'll thicken it.

You can also just use Better than Bouillon in vegetable or in "no chicken"

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 20, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think pressure cooking the kombu in that recipe would be a bad idea, though -- i've only ever used it for dashi and in that context people specifically don't boil it. e.g., from the seriouseats post on dashi

quote:

The one fundamental rule of infusing kombu for dashi is that the water should never be brought to a boil. Cooking the combination at or above boiling temperatures immediately results in a bitter flavor—one that's almost impossible to mask, even in something as assertive as a ramen broth.

you could just pressure cook the base stock and then chuck a couple pieces in at the end and let it sit for a half hour though

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 20, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I made a ramen broth that asked for kombu and katsobuhsi in the cooker and it worked, but next time I will make dashi first and add that to the cooker to see if it changes the flavour as there was some vaguely bitterish hint in it that may have been the kombu. Not bad but could be improved I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eke you can get powerd dashi to add which probably would not go bitter or soak then remove before doing the actual cook.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I want to try a dashi-congee very soon, anybody got tips for that?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just made the best bean soup and since the bean thread is long dead I'm going to post it here since I made it in the IP.
1 lb white beans pre-soaked
4 chopped onions
1 TB turkey schmaltz
1 sprig rosemary
1 TB dry oregano
1/2 cup white wine
1 Qt homemade turkey stock
1 cup whey
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup water
splash of fish sauce

Saute onion in turkey schmaltz, add chopped rosemary, oregano, salt, wine. After the alcohol cooks off add rest of liquids. 40 minutes high pressure. Salt to taste. The liquid measurements are approximate, I didn't measure any of them except the stock.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Maybe the answer to this is too obvious but I can't find anyone mentioning it online--is it safe to just turn the keep warm function on my Instant Pot on, then just leave a small oven-safe glass bowl (with food inside, naturally) inside the inner pot? Do I need to put water in there?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I would put water in the bottom of it but if it’s Pyrex I don’t see it breaking.

Yo instant pot paella is great and takes a fraction of the time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Moot .1415926535 posted:

instant pot paella

Got a recipe link you like particularly for it? I'm keen!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hopper posted:

I just steamed some frozen pork buns and baos in the IP using my steaming baskets. Low pressure steam for 5 mins, natural pressure releases for 5 mins then rapid release. They came out perfect.

Just did this exact method and they came out perfect as well, thanks! :discourse:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Got a recipe link you like particularly for it? I'm keen!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

:golfclap:

Had to make it shrimp free due to allergy in the house so added more chicken and used breast.

Turned out excellently! Everyone had seconds.

The final few minutes of resting is essential to getting the rice right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The burnt socarrat is half the reason to make paella in the first place

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
These paella IP recipes use the saute feature at the end to get the socarrat, right?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I can’t eat a lot of shellfish and I don’t particularly like shrimp so with the leftovers I just IP’d some chicken breasts and used smoked sausage for the red meat portion.

In my experience the America’s Test Kitchen people do good work. That whole book is great.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Shellfish is a weirdly broad term people use for allergies: crustaceans/mollusks/bivalves are all very separate allergies, like how peanuts and tree nuts are different allergies, or bees vs. wasps - you don't have an ALL hymenoptera allergy (most likely.) Being allergic to peanuts doesn't mean you're allergic to hazelnuts, they're very different. A shrimp allergic person could reasonably eat scallops if they've been tested.

This is assuming that you, reading this with a shrimp allergy, have gotten tested for other shellfish allergies, because while not the same there are commonalities in the relationship of atopic disease between the families of proteins that cause allergies.

There is also scromboid poisoning which is like an allergic reaction but not actually an allergic reaction, rather a collection of histadine which is converted by your treacherous body into histamine. It's more of a problem with top-level predator fish but what happens to those top-level fish is the same as what happens to every other carcass - the bottom feeders get them and there is an ever increasing level of biomass for toxins.

Anyways this is all to say that shrimp allergic people could throw in some clams, or octopus while the pot is still hot but not under pressure. Or just cook them separate and pour them and the cooking liquor on top. Whatever.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’ve never been tested and don’t carry an epi pen or anything, but I’ve broken out in hives eating paella with clam juice and drinking Clamato. So I assume it’s bivalves and don’t like them that much anyway. Oysters/mussels are just kinda gross if you think about it like eating the filter of whatever water they were pulled out of.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mussels and beer is one of life's best combos. But yeah I could live without it if it made me sick.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I thought everyone did the multiple things in a pressure cooker thing, but guess I was wrong. Here’s a lady whose recipes are solid who explains the process.

https://youtu.be/U7_9iznfXDM

It’s like a really common thing in south India, because most home cooks only have 2 burners, no oven, and gigantic pressure cookers for a family of 4 - 6. Most don’t have a gas line coming into the home, so they just refill the tank.

The burner that the lady is using is a fancy one, because the space between the two burners is generous. So what they’ll have is pretty decent sized counter space, a good deep sink, and those two dinky little burners.

Edit: just got back from VA where I was visiting family, and I never felt so validated before. Both sister in law and her best friend bought an instant pot, and both hate it violently, except to make potatoes. Apparently both have relegated them to potato making devices, because both (like me) own more than one pressure cooker in more than one size. So there’s the 2 L size for making daal, the 4 L size for making rice really fast, the giant one for doing multiple things cooking. I guess when you’re used to the stove top version, and the speed and control it gives you, the “BURNING” warning gets old after once or twice, especially when you’re using pressure cookers because you are crap at planning ahead, and you/your kids won’t do leftovers, so you cook exactly what’s needed for one meal. I thought I was being a picky bitch for disliking the instant pot, because to hear tell, it’s the second coming and nirvana all rolled into one.

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 31, 2020

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Thanks to whoever posted the “fish rice” recipe earlier. I went with an even lazier version (just rice, salmon, and seasoning) and it’s very tasty and easy. It’s a new go-to recipe for when I’m hungry and lazy.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Maybe slightly off topic, but 1/4 teaspoon of saffron would be like 20 dollars right? I know I see just a few strands in a vial in the seasoning area of the supermarket and it's always crazy expensive. I always wonder if I should just ask my middle eastern/asian coworkers to bring me back some when they visit family.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just get it at Costco around the holidays.
They have it for a very reasonable price/oz

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Maybe slightly off topic, but 1/4 teaspoon of saffron would be like 20 dollars right? I know I see just a few strands in a vial in the seasoning area of the supermarket and it's always crazy expensive. I always wonder if I should just ask my middle eastern/asian coworkers to bring me back some when they visit family.

you can get low quality saffron for about $5/gram on amazon, so like... a buck or so per 1/4tsp

it's certainly not incredible but it'll do the job in a dish where it isn't front and center. if i was making a dessert or entree that really depended on the saffron fragrance/flavor i'd spend more money, though

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I get mine from Penzey's but next year I'm just going to grow my own. Apparently they aren't difficult to grow, the price is because the harvesting is so painstaking.

Cheap saffron is mostly just to dye the food (and may be dyed itself)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Get certified saffron. DNV offers certification, prolly others too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know we probably already one in this thread but this is a good deal if you know of anyone that is in the market for one.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/535799

And if it breaks you have a two year walk in warranty to bestbuy.

I have the larger one and it’s been great and I use it once a week or more.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mentalcontempt posted:

Thanks to whoever posted the “fish rice” recipe earlier. I went with an even lazier version (just rice, salmon, and seasoning) and it’s very tasty and easy. It’s a new go-to recipe for when I’m hungry and lazy.

FISH RICE RULES

YOU ARE WELCOME

Actually I found a fun adjustment, if you soak the basmati in cool/cold water like 2 hours ahead of time, you only need to pressure cook for 2 minutes, the fish comes out much better/ less overcooked. But if you don't have that luxury of time, 3min is fine, the fish just gets to the 'canned' texture.

\/\/\/ Eagle eyed readers will note that my IP water/rice ratio waffles a bit between 3/4 to 1, to 1.25/1, but that depends on if you're using dried stuff that needs rehydrating. Just make sure you rinse it. Jasmine or Basmati, any long grain rice is fine. It's fish rice, not fine dining.

I also stopped using Atlantic salmon, I stick to wild caught pacific sockeye, you get HUGE 6-8oz vaccum sealed fillets at Costco for less then Whole Foods \/\/\/

angerbeet posted:

There is also scromboid poisoning which is like an allergic reaction but not actually an allergic reaction, rather a collection of histadine which is converted by your treacherous body into histamine. It's more of a problem with top-level predator fish but what happens to those top-level fish is the same as what happens to every other carcass - the bottom feeders get them and there is an ever increasing level of biomass for toxins.

It me, the flushing one. And I will NEVER stop eating delicious fish. Weirdly, sometimes beer and non-seafood stuff sets it off. I find it's best to stick to fresh-as-possible.

Once, my manager was helping me close out my drawer, and she had just been eating a shrimp cocktail ring like, 30 minutes before. I started turning really red and flushy on my neck. Her touching the bills, then me recounting them and touching my neck set it off.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Little less then a cup rinsed Jasmine rice
1.25 cups Water
Tablespoon Butter
2 frozen 4oz fish fillets (I use the Atlantic salmon from Whole Foods)
Salt
Dried mushrooms and/or sun-dried tomatoes (more water if using lots)
Chives (dried or fresh is fine)
Fresh spinach

Rinse Jasmine rice well and put in pot with water, butter, and chopped bite size dried stuff. Coat FROZEN fillets with a heavy pinch of salt and chopped chives. Place fillets skin down on top of rice. Set IP to HIGH, manual 3 minutes. Let manual release for 10 minutes. Plate hot rice over fresh spinach, let spinach wilt. Serves 2. Our favorite "gently caress it, I am tired, this is filling, somewhat healthy, and quick."

Quoting this to do later :toot: