Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah by the time the pressure has built up the clams will already be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Trastion posted:

That person hasn't posted again because it wasn't such a good idea...

Just kidding, they didn't die. I think.

Nope, i didn't die and I did it again several times since then :P

and they were delicious each and every meal :)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have about a pound of frozen boneless chicken thighs, should I thaw them out before combining them with non-frozen chicken thighs to make butter chicken?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Only if they're all clumped together and you cant break them apart. (imo)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I wouldn't. I find that 3 frozen thighs thaw in a hot sink in about 30 minutes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Croatoan posted:

I wouldn't. I find that 3 frozen thighs thaw in a hot sink in about 30 minutes.

Yeah after I asked the question I was like well, thawing them isn't that hard, but I stuck with asking, haha.

Thanks for the responses, Croatoan and MeKeV!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Keep in mind for the future, though, that as long as pieces aren’t clumped together, realizing you are able to use frozen meat in a pressure cooker just fine is an obvious but :aaaaa: moment. Homemade chicken soup in an hour with no forethought? Heck yeah.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Can I chop up beets and cook them as a part of a roast, or is it necessary to pressure steam them whole like all the foodie blogs say?

For context, I want to make pork with beets and kale. I usually do this with beef, carrots, and potatoes by cooking the roast first and then adding the other stuff for an additional 10 minutes.

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 2, 2018

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Unbelievably White posted:

Can I chop up beets and cook them as a part of a roast, or is it necessary to pressure steam them whole like all the foodie blogs say?

For context, I want to make pork with beets and kale. I usually do this with beef, carrots, and potatoes by cooking the roast first and then adding the other stuff for an additional 10 minutes.

Beets roast for about the same time as potatoes, so I'd guess they have a close enough pressure cooking time as potatoes/carrots. Worst case you can just give them an extra 5 minutes, right?

Of course they'll make everything red.

Edit: Well beets may need a little more boiling than potatoes. Some borscht recipes (maybe a good thing to base off of) have beets cooked before potatoes. You could probably look for pressure cooker borscht recipes that cut up the beets in similar sizes to what you want to get an idea of the cooking time.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They probably say to pressure cook the beets separate because they turn everything reddish-purple. If you don't care about that, cook them together. I roast beets all the time. 20 min @ 400F and they have a little crunch left. 30 min @ 400 and they are just firm but no crunch. It varies a bit because of size.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just saw someone on Facebook asking for tips on making popcorn in an Instant Pot. :stonk:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Keep in mind for the future, though, that as long as pieces aren’t clumped together, realizing you are able to use frozen meat in a pressure cooker just fine is an obvious but :aaaaa: moment. Homemade chicken soup in an hour with no forethought? Heck yeah.

Agreed, once I realized that I could just throw frozen meat in that thing I was like holy shiiiit and have been doing all sorts of frozen pork roasts in there over the past few weeks. Just add a bit more time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Timby posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook asking for tips on making popcorn in an Instant Pot. :stonk:

Technically you could do it. Not under pressure but throw some oil in the pot then turn it on Saute. Use a glass lid, or no lid if your brave. Would be like doing stove top popcorn without needing the actual stove. Could be good for people in dorms or whatever that don't have a stovetop but have an IP.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I too bought that Instant Pot Indian Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre and have made the murgh makhani (butter chicken) twice now. It's really, really good and very easy. I'm currently making the simple beef curry recipe now.

Great book.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just ordered that book. Can't wait. :dance:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The beef curry was very good. There were no leftovers.

Tonight I made the kheema nariyal saag, and again, no leftovers.

I'm loving all of this stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The concept of indian beef curry sounds so wrong and so delicious.

I made this and it's super easy

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/polenta-cacio-e-pepe

1 cup polenta (not quick-cooking)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces Pecorino and/or Parmesan, finely grated, plus more

Just cook the polenta with 3-4 cups of water in the IP for 10 minutes. Release, and whisk in the butter, pepper, and whatever cheese before serving. It's also good if you top it with any leftover tomato sauce.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 9, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Mu Zeta posted:

The concept of indian beef curry sounds so wrong and so delicious.

It's magnificent!

2 tomatoes, quartered
1 small onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1lb beef/chicken/pork whatever cut into cubes

Blend tomatoes, onion, garlic and cilantro to a paste

Add cumin, coriander, garam masala, cayenne and salt, blend for a few seconds

Pour all that slurry into the pressure cooker and put the meat on top

Set cooker to manual and cook to (whatever time the meat needs, 8-20 mins)

Natural pressure release. Remove lid and stir. Taste and adjust. Serve with naan or rice or whatever you want.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This recipe looks amazing, and I want to try it with tofu.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried tofu in the IP with success? I tried making a soup with some soft tofu, and pressure cooking it for 5 minutes made it hard and rubbery. I used the extra soft 'soon' tofu used in Korean cooking.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Y'all are really tempting me to buy that Indian cookbook. I love the butter chicken, and that curry sounds :swoon:

Qu Appelle posted:

This recipe looks amazing, and I want to try it with tofu.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried tofu in the IP with success? I tried making a soup with some soft tofu, and pressure cooking it for 5 minutes made it hard and rubbery. I used the extra soft 'soon' tofu used in Korean cooking.

I'm interested in this as well, as my partner is veggie so I am veggie by proxie(about 80% of the time).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Word of warning to anyone who gets the book, it expects you to have:

- A coffee/spice grinder
- A food processor/countertop blender
- An immersion blender
- Small steel bowls and containers that fit in your IP

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Qu Appelle posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone tried tofu in the IP with success?

Like in saute mode but why would one need to use pressure to cook tofu?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Pollyanna posted:

- A coffee/spice grinder
- An immersion blender

1) I just buy the spices from the store, no big deal
2) If you're in this forum you have this
3) See 2
4) Come on

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ranter posted:

Like in saute mode but why would one need to use pressure to cook tofu?

Because it's the last ingredient added into a soup. I was trying to make Soondubu Jjigae, which is Korean Soft Tofu Soup. I decided to pressure cook it for a couple of minutes to also cook the veggies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've eaten tofu my whole life and I've never seen people pressure cook it before. I think the best bet is to just add the tofu at the end and warm it up before serving. It's really just there to add some texture and soak up the soup/sauce.

When my mom made Soondubu Jjigae on the stove it was really quick, like under 10 minutes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I don't have any of these, are there particular ones I should get in case the cheapest are bad quality?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Booyah- posted:

I don't have any of these, are there particular ones I should get in case the cheapest are bad quality?

Go to thrift stores and buy some. They're less than a dollar apiece, and you can stock up on a bunch of different sizes. They're useful for prep in general - mirepoix in one bowl, meat in another, potatoes in another, squash in another. Also good for things like mixing batter or dough, fermenting yeast dough, defrosting things quickly (cold running tap water, frozen thing in ziploc in bowl), all sorts of stuff.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I've eaten tofu my whole life and I've never seen people pressure cook it before. I think the best bet is to just add the tofu at the end and warm it up before serving. It's really just there to add some texture and soak up the soup/sauce.

When my mom made Soondubu Jjigae on the stove it was really quick, like under 10 minutes.

I did that the second time, and it worked really well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VERTiG0 posted:

1) I just buy the spices from the store, no big deal
2) If you're in this forum you have this
3) See 2
4) Come on

:saddowns:

I'll do some shopping...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Booyah- posted:

Find the restaurant supply in your area. They'll probably be a couple bucks each, will be adequate quality, and will stack.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The book just says the bowls have to be heatproof. They don't need to be steel.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-black-bean-chorizo-recipe.html

Made this and it's ridiculous how easy and flavorful and tasty it is. Also made from dry beans with no soaking required. Came out perfect. I also added some garlic, mushrooms, green peppers, and a tbsp of fish sauce and soy sauce and it came out heavenly. Sour cream mixed with a bit of cumin and cilantro on top really hits the spot.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did you do natural release? The beans are pretty drat hard if you don't, at least in my experience

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Same - NPR is required for beans in my experience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Qu Appelle posted:

I did that the second time, and it worked really well.

Post your recipe please. The ones I get at restaurants taste artificial somehow.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Did you do natural release? The beans are pretty drat hard if you don't, at least in my experience

Definitely natural release.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

pootiebigwang posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/quick-and-easy-pressure-cooker-black-bean-chorizo-recipe.html

Made this and it's ridiculous how easy and flavorful and tasty it is. Also made from dry beans with no soaking required. Came out perfect. I also added some garlic, mushrooms, green peppers, and a tbsp of fish sauce and soy sauce and it came out heavenly. Sour cream mixed with a bit of cumin and cilantro on top really hits the spot.

Please forgive my British bean ignorance, but not having a great deal of exposure to beans much beyond heinz and tinned kidney...........is this a meal as is or a side dish? :-S

Help, I want to get in on this bean thing.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

- A coffee/spice grinder
- An immersion blender
Just ordered the book and I have 1-3 but not 4 somehow so thanks actually

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MeKeV posted:

Please forgive my British bean ignorance, but not having a great deal of exposure to beans much beyond heinz and tinned kidney...........is this a meal as is or a side dish? :-S

Help, I want to get in on this bean thing.

I don't know how pootiebigwang chose to eat it, but when I make things like that it's the main dish of the meal. Occasionally we'll have bread or tortillas or something on the side, but yeah a bowl of beans will be the meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Was definitely a meal for me. The sausage and veggies with the beans made it a very hearty dish. Also I don't think you can substitute the black beans in this recipe. I'm not an expert but apparently there is a difference in the way some dry beans cook compared to others. Black beans were the first I encountered that didn't require a soaking period and could be cooked in the same pot as the rest of the ingredients.