Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Veritek83 posted:

IIRC one of the first pieces at Milk Street was about how you shouldn't sear meat for stew or soup because the Maillard reaction is overrated, so, yeah, he's still bad.

This was the stupidest loving thing I had ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Have you other Instant Pot owners seen https://foodnservice.com/instant-pot-wine/ I promise I'm not trolling - this is definitely hilarious. Not sure if I'd drink the resulting wine but definitely an interesting use of the "yogurt" function.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Johnny Truant posted:

Y'all are really tempting me to buy that Indian cookbook. I love the butter chicken, and that curry sounds :swoon:

I'm interested in this as well, as my partner is veggie so I am veggie by proxie(about 80% of the time).

I'm pretty sure all of the recipes are alrady on her website https://twosleevers.com/

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KyloWinter posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the recipes are alrady on her website https://twosleevers.com/

Thanks for that. Looks like a bunch of good recipes and some for the Air Fryer too...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made this Dae Ji Bulgogi recipe last night but with Beef Sirloin and it was great. I substituted Honey for the Splenda it calls for and I think next time I will increase the amount a little as I like it a little more sweet than it was.

If you make this make sure you do the part of finishing it in a searing hot pan to crisp the meat and reduce the sauce down. The sauce is still pretty runny/watery when it comes out of the IP. After reducing it made it nice and sticky on the meat.

Not the best picture but it was good. I tried to make Lettuce Wraps with it but I bought the wrong kind of Lettuce and it didn't work well. After eating one that way I switched to flour tortilla shells warmed over the open flame of the stove.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Bulgogi is understood to be made with beef; the dae (sic) ji in dae ji bulgogi means pig. You coulda just said you made bulgogi. :eng101:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The dae ji version is generally spicier with more peppers and gochujang. Regular bulgogi is just brown and sweet. So it's kind of a mix of styles and meat.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

AnonSpore posted:

Bulgogi is understood to be made with beef; the dae (sic) ji in dae ji bulgogi means pig. You coulda just said you made bulgogi. :eng101:

I didn't name it, that is the name they gave with the recipe and I substituted beef for the pork in the recipe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making the Butter Chicken from that Indian recipe book and it's pretty alright. Needs more onions and I think it would benefit from cooking the chicken separately to get some nice crust on it; I also had to season it a good bit more than the book says to do. Big fan of the biryani though, that poo poo is amazing.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't think butter chicken has onions? You may prefer this https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html

That's one of my super lazy meals I always have on hand and tastes better the next day for leftovers

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't think butter chicken has onions?

Yeah in her whole blog post on it she explicitly says no onions. I have probably two pounds of that butter chicken in my freezer: getin:

Gotta think of something else to make for meal prep this week...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm, maybe I'll put my own spin on it!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
My instant pot has been my kitchen powerhouse for preparing dinners for a week. I enjoy alternating weekly between bastardized chicken pho (it's bastardized because I eat it with tofu instead of rice noodles) and bastardized chili (it's bastardized because it's turkey instead of beef.) I like how I can toss everything into the instant pot and come back to piping-hot meals, and I wish I had this during college.

10/10 would recommend buying one to a friend.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Casull posted:

and I wish I had this during college.

Seriously, this thing would've been a godsend in college. Still amazing now, but drat, I would've not had to eat ramen and hot dogs and egg sandwiches all the time if I had one of these.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, how about that new InstantPot coming that can do canning and higher PSI?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

meh

I'll use mine until it dies. I'm never making yogurt or canning.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Casull posted:

My instant pot has been my kitchen powerhouse for preparing dinners for a week. I enjoy alternating weekly between bastardized chicken pho (it's bastardized because I eat it with tofu instead of rice noodles) and bastardized chili (it's bastardized because it's turkey instead of beef.) I like how I can toss everything into the instant pot and come back to piping-hot meals, and I wish I had this during college.

10/10 would recommend buying one to a friend.

got a recipe for that chili?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Booyah- posted:

got a recipe for that chili?

Casull's Seriously-Bastardized Turkey Chili for Lazy Jerks (Makes five or seven servings)

Three pounds of ground turkey
1 box of Wick Fowler's 2-alarm chili kit (See, the chili is also bastardized because I use a chili kit)
4 jalapenos
1 large yellow onion
1-2 garlic bulbs depending on how you like your garlic
28 ounces of pinto beans (one 28-oz can or two 14-oz cans, you pick. I go low-sodium.)
14 ounces of diced canned tomatoes

Dice onion and garlic and toss into pot. Don't cut yourself dicing the onion like I did
Slice jalapenos into coin-sized slices about 1/4th inch thick per slice. Toss into pot. (I use the vegetable bags I carry them in as makeshift gloves so I don't burn my hands.)
Rinse beans, put into mixing bowl along with canned tomatoes and contents of chili kit. (Skip the flour; you can put that in afterwards if you want to thicken it.) Stir.
Hit saute on the pot and saute the vegetables a bit if you'd like. I don't because I'm lazy. (Add another point to "bastardized.")
Crumble the turkey into the pot, a pinch at a time, so that it doesn't end up a solid block of turkey after it's done cooking. Toss in bean/tomato/spice mixture.
Seal the pot and set it to pressure-cook for 20 minutes. Let it cook, then let it naturally release.
If you want to make the thing even thicker, mix the flour with 1/4th cup of water, pour the water in, and stir.

The beauty is that you don't have to add extra water to this at all before cooking; the liquid in every other ingredient is enough for your pressure cooker to cook the food.

Pictured is the result; I took some out and cooked it on the stove for a bit in a pot with tofu so it was extra-filling.

The result is nice and hot, although I'm thinking I'll need to up the heat next time because it's not very hot anymore to me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Casull posted:

Casull's Seriously-Bastardized Turkey Chili for Lazy Jerks (Makes five or seven servings)

Three pounds of ground turkey
1 box of Wick Fowler's 2-alarm chili kit (See, the chili is also bastardized because I use a chili kit)
4 jalapenos
1 large yellow onion
1-2 garlic bulbs depending on how you like your garlic
28 ounces of pinto beans (one 28-oz can or two 14-oz cans, you pick. I go low-sodium.)
14 ounces of diced canned tomatoes

Dice onion and garlic and toss into pot. Don't cut yourself dicing the onion like I did
Slice jalapenos into coin-sized slices about 1/4th inch thick per slice. Toss into pot. (I use the vegetable bags I carry them in as makeshift gloves so I don't burn my hands.)
Rinse beans, put into mixing bowl along with canned tomatoes and contents of chili kit. (Skip the flour; you can put that in afterwards if you want to thicken it.) Stir.
Hit saute on the pot and saute the vegetables a bit if you'd like. I don't because I'm lazy. (Add another point to "bastardized.")
Crumble the turkey into the pot, a pinch at a time, so that it doesn't end up a solid block of turkey after it's done cooking. Toss in bean/tomato/spice mixture.
Seal the pot and set it to pressure-cook for 20 minutes. Let it cook, then let it naturally release.
If you want to make the thing even thicker, mix the flour with 1/4th cup of water, pour the water in, and stir.

The beauty is that you don't have to add extra water to this at all before cooking; the liquid in every other ingredient is enough for your pressure cooker to cook the food.

Pictured is the result; I took some out and cooked it on the stove for a bit in a pot with tofu so it was extra-filling.

The result is nice and hot, although I'm thinking I'll need to up the heat next time because it's not very hot anymore to me.

Thanks! I give it a shot

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Casull posted:

Friendo, ditch the kits and see the light.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chili_Powder

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Canning would definitely be a cool addition, but I just got mine for Xmas so I'm not getting another anytime soon, unless this explodes its lid into my ceiling.

Mu Zeta posted:

meh

I'll use mine until it dies. I'm never making yogurt or canning.

If you eat yogurt, making it is absolutely worth it, and incredibly easy. Just keep turning gallons of milk into delicious, delicious Greek yogurt :getin:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Homemade chili powder is so worth the little effort it takes. It's like the difference between microwaved minute rice and a creamy risotto. But do not roast really hot peppers unless you have a skookum fan or you will have to evacuate the house. No joke. For some reason I keep doing it though and my wife gets angrier every time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ultimate Mango posted:

It'll finally be time to retire my old stovetop that I have to babysit more than a regular pot!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is this the one that stirs and does sous vide or am I confusing everything? I might be needing another instant pot, should I wait? And what's the name of this magical new pot, anyone know?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Snowy posted:

Is this the one that stirs and does sous vide or am I confusing everything? I might be needing another instant pot, should I wait? And what's the name of this magical new pot, anyone know?

It doesn't exactly stir, but it can release small, controlled bursts of steam, which agitates the ingredients just as much as suddenly boiling them would, because you're suddenly boiling them. The Instant Pot Max is what it's called, price will be $180-200 IIRC, and I want one when they come out this summer.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
my slow cooker wasn't all the way broken but it was really old and falling apart and I threw it away when my wife got an instant pot because its supposed to be a slow cooker, but it doesn't work as well. Even the highest setting seems like its maybe, maybe medium on my last slow cooker and the lowest setting is almost useless.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Yeah it doesn’t work as a slow cooker except for, like, soup or other things that only need to be heated from the bottom of the pot. A ceramic crock pot stays even when it cooks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just got my IP Duo. This thing is black magic. I just made my 5 hour chili in 20 minutes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Matt Zerella posted:

Just got my IP Duo. This thing is black magic. I just made my 5 hour chili in 20 minutes.

Yeah, stuff that takes all day in my crock pot is done in 20-30 minutes in my IP Duo. And it often turns out better.

The only downside I've found so far is that some vegetables basically disintegrate under high heat and pressure. Which is great for flavor, but it's weird to throw in a couple of chopped onions for a stew and have them essentially disappear.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Matt Zerella posted:

gently caress yes

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, stuff that takes all day in my crock pot is done in 20-30 minutes in my IP Duo. And it often turns out better.

The only downside I've found so far is that some vegetables basically disintegrate under high heat and pressure. Which is great for flavor, but it's weird to throw in a couple of chopped onions for a stew and have them essentially disappear.

Lol I just said that to my wife because I was worried it would be a chunky chili but nope, the onion and bell pepper and everything else disintegrated. Which is exactly what I want in chili. I have some frozen corn which I might add.

Her feedback:
"The beans are amazing and so much better"
"The meat tastes better, and the consistency is so much better than the crock pot"
"Make this all the time pls"
*I hit the pressure release* "oh my god that smells amazing"

E:

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress yes

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.

Doin it. Thanks!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress yes

I need to try this... thank you :) Have to do it next week but...yeah...its on the menu :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can also make polenta in the Instant Pot and it's pretty good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress yes

Where do you get the shanks though? I live in NYC so you'd think there'd be a place to get normal shanks -- they're selling the whole rest of the pig, right? -- but the only ones I can find are like Whole Foods–level expensive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

WhiteHowler posted:

That's not a downside, depending on the application.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Where do you get the shanks though? I live in NYC so you'd think there'd be a place to get normal shanks -- they're selling the whole rest of the pig, right? -- but the only ones I can find are like Whole Foods–level expensive.

Im assuming you've tried the Butcher Block? Or trekked up to stop and shop?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife bought smoked pork jowl for my last batch of bean soup. The flavor is phenomenal, like amped up bacon. I chopped it up and rendered half a cup of fat from the pound of jowl bacon before making the beans and it was still a little slimy/fatty textured when pressure cooked but no one seemed to mind, it almost melts in your mouth.

Also I've been playing around with soaking or not soaking the beans and there is definitely a texture difference. I prefer soaked as the beans are softer and creamier. Unsoaked beans are more firm and chewy. Both are good, just whatever you like.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I thought there was a difference with unsoaked vs soaked but that issue was solved with adding more time and with black beans I also use a stick blender to cream some beans. If I had pork jowl I would be making black bean chicken stew. By far my favorite pressure cooker meal. Serious eats has the recipe. It's incredible

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve mostly been using seriouseats recipes so far, especially the Food Lab.

Are there any other reliable treasure troves or pressure cooker recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I add 5 extra minutes to unsoaked beans. It's not soaking involves effort though.