Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

Oh, yeah, you can go the other way too. For the liquid thing, I was thinking that a stovetop pressure cooker heated with a proper burner has a different temperature curve than an electric one with a lovely little built-in element. So the stovetop one might get hotter faster and change how much liquid you extract or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Anyone made this in an instant pot?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other people’s experience is.

It's a great recipe (all kenji's are)

Don't add extra liquid!

Never do that, it fucks up the food and you'll spend forever thickening it back down again. I don't know where the whole 'needs 1 cup of liquid' thing comes from, but as long as there's enough liquid in the ingredients to release, boil and build the pressure you're fine.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

nwin posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Just wondering if they have any tips or if I need to add any liquid to it based on what other people’s experience is.

I've made it a bunch kind of a go to for need to use some chicken and it freezes well. It's great as written and reducing to the thickness you like.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
From what I've experienced, if you've got mostly dry stuff in the IP you will need 1/2 cup of liquid to get it to seal. Any less and it won't work, but 1/2 cup seems to be that magic spot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nwin posted:

I made it going strictly by the directions and it loving RULES. I was celebrated as a great chef.

Also I might need to upgrade my pressure cooker- mine can’t be set for exact times, just chicken, soup, rice, etc. and it’s annoying. What’s the conventional wisdom these days on best large size instant pot? Have people warmed up to the new fancy high pressure model?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pim01 posted:

It's a great recipe (all kenji's are)

Don't add extra liquid!

Never do that, it fucks up the food and you'll spend forever thickening it back down again. I don't know where the whole 'needs 1 cup of liquid' thing comes from, but as long as there's enough liquid in the ingredients to release, boil and build the pressure you're fine.

It comes from my own experience with the 6 quart instant pot. It doesn't come up to pressure without added liquid. It also says in the manual.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I've got the same model and it's always fine - given that your ingredients contain enough liquid of course.

What sort of recipes for pressure cooking are you following where there's only dry ingredients, I'm quite curious now - in that kenji recipe up above, there's more than enough liquid between the tomatillos and the chicken, for instance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have the 8 qt model and while I'm still getting used to it, I've definitely noticed it needs water and a little more than most recipes do because they design for the 6 qt.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a stovetop and it can come to pressure more easily with just the liquid from tomatoes. With my IP I have to add a cup of water at least.

You may want to exchange it for another or try changing the seal, mine has no trouble at all.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What makes them spicy?

Oops, 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Also forgot that I added garlic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yesterday I made the beef and onion soup from The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric. I used up some onion that I had chopped, frozen, thawed, and froze again, so they were a bit tough. The broth was delicious but it's a bit labor intensive. Previously I made a french onion soup that partially uses the pressure cooker (maybe from French Guy Alex) that was better.

Today hardboiled eggs in the IP and I would definitely do them that way again. Easy as pouring in a cup of water, add eggs, pressure cook for 5 minutes (3 for soft boiled), natural release, dunk in cold water, and peel. They peeled easily too. I found various recommendations on time. Not really a time savings over the stove but low effort.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thinking about giving this chicken soup a try tonight or tomorrow night as a test to see if it'd be viable as a meal prep type thing, but I'm a bit confused about step 3 of the Instant Pot instructions, namely: why would I need to turn the heat off when the goal is to finish cooking the chicken through? Couldn't I just switch it over to warm (or hell, even leave it on sautee and watch the chicken so the outside doesn't burn)?

I'm deathly afraid of undercooking chicken in this thing, since all I've done so far as been beef.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Plenty of pressure cooker recipes will ask you to let it depressurize naturally over 10-20 minutes rather than tilting the valve cap and letting all the steam out quickly. In this case the recipe has you cook the chicken through and shred it (if it shreds easily, it’s definitely dead) before you even put the lid on, so it’s pretty impossible to undercook.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It's written like that because its a fudge based on the crock pot recipe.

Boneless breasts or thighs cooked below liquid (rather than steamed over) in an instant pot are done in about 3 minutes at pressure if you then leave them until the pressure releases without venting.
Hell I reckon frozen breast/thighs are done in, or maybe even less then, 10 minutes at pressure.

Pre-shredded chicken is going to cook as soon as the thing hits pressure, if not before. Thought I cant really ever imagine pre-shredding anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think you can even shred chicken without overcooking it first

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drone posted:

Thinking about giving this chicken soup a try tonight or tomorrow night as a test to...

Looks terrible. Here is a good blog for the IP.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-recipe-index/

Another
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-noodle-soup/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of liquid, tonight I made orange glazed chicken, the only liquid being a few TB of balsamic and scoop of marmalade, and of course the chicken. Went right to temp, sealed, and there was about 1/2 cup or more of liquid when done. Absolutely delicious. Also I cooked the thighs for 15 min and it was enough, although I did brown them first so they had a jump start.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

wormil posted:

Speaking of liquid, tonight I made orange glazed chicken, the only liquid being a few TB of balsamic and scoop of marmalade, and of course the chicken. Went right to temp, sealed, and there was about 1/2 cup or more of liquid when done. Absolutely delicious. Also I cooked the thighs for 15 min and it was enough, although I did brown them first so they had a jump start.

Boneless or skin on,bone-in?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Kinda weird how so many Instant Pot soup recipes revolve around dumping a box full of broth in there. The whole point of a pressure cooker is being able to speed up cooking processes that normally take a while. Take any classic Jewish chicken soup recipe that starts with a whole bird and do it much more quickly in an Instant Pot, instead. No boxes of broth required.

Edit: For example, this looks like a good, standard chicken soup recipe where the author does both stovetop and Instant Pot variations. You could even replicate the traditional simmer/scum-skim step with the Instant Pot's saute function before covering the pot and bringing it up to pressure. Not really necessary, though.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 18, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This kind of stuff would be good to have in the op. I keep digging through the thread for things like that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

EVG posted:

Boneless or skin on,bone-in?

I think half the recipes I've made in the IP are some variation of chicken or turkey, thighs or legs, + sauce. They've all been good but this one was awesome. It was from the Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes, very slightly modified.

3# boneless chicken thighs, salt, pepper + browned
[Here I varied from the recipe book and deglazed with about 1/4 cup white wine. Once the wine was almost evaporated I added the chicken back to the pot along with the sauce.]
1/3 cup orange marmalade + 1.5TB balsamic, mixed in a large bowl, add browned chicken and toss
4" sprig of rosemary
15 minutes, quick release.
Served over white rice and topped with diced green onions

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Kinda weird how so many Instant Pot soup recipes revolve around dumping a box full of broth in there. The whole point of a pressure cooker is being able to speed up cooking processes that normally take a while. Take any classic Jewish chicken soup recipe that starts with a whole bird and do it much more quickly in an Instant Pot, instead. No boxes of broth required.

Edit: For example, this looks like a good, standard chicken soup recipe where the author does both stovetop and Instant Pot variations. You could even replicate the traditional simmer/scum-skim step with the Instant Pot's saute function before covering the pot and bringing it up to pressure. Not really necessary, though.

Wow, that is one full pot!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tonight I made that Indian butter chicken recipe that's been floating around and it was delicious, though I definitely succumbed to the urge to put the butter and cream into the sauce too quickly without letting it cool/thicken sufficiently. It wasn't SUPER watery, but it was just enough on the watery side of things to make that a detraction from the overall meal.

Tasted great though on a bed of zucchini pasta, definitely going to come back again and try to thicken that sauce up a bit first. It's missing a certain something but I really can't put my finger on it... spice-wise it's on-point, but it could maybe use some more salt or something? Not sure, will have to experiment the next time I make it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Snowy posted:

I made it going strictly by the directions and it loving RULES. I was celebrated as a great chef.

Also I might need to upgrade my pressure cooker- mine can’t be set for exact times, just chicken, soup, rice, etc. and it’s annoying. What’s the conventional wisdom these days on best large size instant pot? Have people warmed up to the new fancy high pressure model?

So I made the green chili chicken per the instructions and it turned out amazing! I was worried when I added the fish sauce and started blending it because it smelled like nothing but fish sauce. After I added the chicken back in though that smell dispersed and it was great.

It wasn’t the “chili” I was really thinking it would be. We had corn tortillas with it and some potatoes from the other day warmed up on the side, but what do you all usually make it with? Maybe like Mexican rice or something?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If I remember correctly it's pork right? You would want white rice and maybe black beans as a side dish.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If I remember correctly it's pork right? You would want white rice and maybe black beans as a side dish.

You can do pork, but I used chicken thighs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone given this recipe for Hainan chicken rice a try? I just got back from Singapore so I'm kinda fiending but my attempts at making it at home have always been disappointing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone given this recipe for Hainan chicken rice a try? I just got back from Singapore so I'm kinda fiending but my attempts at making it at home have always been disappointing.

This is the recipe I use, it's super basic but it works pretty well: http://goonswithspoons.com/Khao_Man_Gai

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Instant pot ultra 8qt just went down to $119 on Amazon, seems like the lowest it’s been

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made an interesting and delicious stew from cow feet. Cow feet have no meat, it's all marrow and cartilage. I pressure cooked 3 cow feet on high for 45 minutes with 4 cups of water + 2 chopped onions + 1 chopped celery stalk + 1 can diced tomatoes + a silver dollar sized chunk of fermented pepper mash, natural release. Decided it wasn't long enough and did another 45 minutes. Perfect.
tldr; 1.5 hours at high pressure

Removed the bones. Added 2 chopped carrots, 1 cubed sweet potato, 1 cup of dried split peas, 2 cloves garlic, 1TB soy sauce, 2 tsp dried thyme, 1 TB smoked paprika, pressure cook on high 20 minutes, natural release. Ate over white rice. The stew is thick with a silky texture and rich flavor, spicier than I intended (good for me, bad for my wife). It also smells like a cow but not entirely unpleasant. No one else mentioned it. I noticed earlier but there was nothing I could do about it. Online I found some blurbs about washing the cow feet in vinegar and water, I presume to reduce the musky cow smell? I will definitely make it again except I would try washing the cow feet first then browning them, everything else the same. Sorry no pics but it looks kind of like thick vegetable stew. I definitely recommend trying it or at least adding some feet next time you make stock because the texture and flavor are out of this world.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Favorite set-and-forget recipes?

I know browning meat will give more flavor, but sometimes I just don't want to do it. Same with adding veggies midway through.

Any cuisine type and ethnicity welcome.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
No need to brown anything. The Maillard reaction happens in a pressure cooker without any extra work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

effika posted:

Favorite set-and-forget recipes?

I know browning meat will give more flavor, but sometimes I just don't want to do it. Same with adding veggies midway through.

Any cuisine type and ethnicity welcome.

Call me a basic bitch but my ultimate low-effort Instant Pot for lazy nights when I don't feel like doing poo poo is a simple chicken cacciatore. Sear some chicken breasts in some oil for a few minutes on each side (optional I guess, it's probably mainly for the optics so the chicken looks like it's been cooked traditionally), remove, then add a little more oil and saute some chopped onions and bell peppers. Once they're soft, add the chicken back in, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes, season that poo poo with some salt/pepper/oregano/paprika/a bay leaf, then pressure cook on high for 25 minutes with a natural release. Remove the bay leaf and serve over some brown rice and you're good.

Peasant food but whatever man, it's the lowest amount of effort, requires very few ingredients, and tastes good.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 8, 2018

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

All of Kenji's pressure cooker recipes fit this bill really

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/pressure-cooker-recipes

The very laziest one (also really tasty) is his 5 ingredient Colombian chicken stew

Kenji posted:

This one pot stew is about as simple as they come, combining just five ingredients: chicken, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, onion, and a bay leaf. No stock, no water, nothing except a bit of salt and pepper. Everything gets tossed raw into the pressure cooker, the lid gets snapped on, and then the lot gets cooked at high pressure for half an hour. What emerges is nothing short of miraculous.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

pim01 posted:

The very laziest one (also really tasty) is his 5 ingredient Colombian chicken stew

That green chili chicken recipe is so good. My goto lazy winter stew is pozole though, super easy and takes no time in a pressure cooker.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr. Krieger posted:

That green chili chicken recipe is so good. My goto lazy winter stew is pozole though, super easy and takes no time in a pressure cooker.

Uhh got a recipe for this? I fuckin love pozole.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Uhh got a recipe for this? I fuckin love pozole.

This looks pretty close to what I do, typically just wing it because it's pretty simple. Usually I'll brown the pork a bit, remove and then saute the onion + garlic before doing 45 mins at pressure but ingredients basically the same. I'll add a bay leaf and maybe a bit of cumin as well, usually use chicken stock instead of water too. I've never made it with chicken before but I'm sure that would work too, in fact I bet Turkey would be fantastic and with Thanksgiving coming up...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

pim01 posted:

I made the stew and it was, indeed, super simple. Pretty good, but it was so close to my mom's stew recipe that I wanted to be eating that. I made it, too, and it adapted very well!

My mom's recipe:

1 1-2lb package of chicken parts (bones/skin your preference)

28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes

1lb potatoes, diced

.5lb carrots, diced

4-5 stalks of celery, sliced

2 Bay leaves

.5 onion, frenched or diced depending on effort level

1/2 tsp salt if the tomatoes are low/no salt

Put everything in the pressure cooker, mix, cook on high for 25 minutes. Natural release for 10m then quick release. The next day it is even better as the potatoes have absorbed all the juices.

Sure beats letting the stew cook for 3hrs!

Thanks for the ideas, thread. I'll get to trying more soon!

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I made a simple chicken soup the other day.

almost 7 lb whole chicken (innards removed)
1/2 pound carrots, bite size chunks
3 ribs celery, bite size chunks
1 small to medium size onion, diced
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 Bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups of water

Threw all the veggies in the bottom. Stuffed bird on top. Added seasonings and water. Did 6 minutes per pound and natural released for 15 minutes.

The chicken was fall apart tender and very easy to pull. I added back about half of it to the soup and the rest I saved in the freezer for another meal. This was in a 6qt pot. You could probably get away with a bigger bird and a little more liquid in an 8qt.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Would I be missing out on much by buying this :siren:half price 8qt:siren: rather than one of the fancier models?

I liked the idea of the higher pressure of the newest one but maybe this is too good to pass up.

Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B1VC13K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pta-Bb86MYBMC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snowy posted:

Would I be missing out on much by buying this :siren:half price 8qt:siren: rather than one of the fancier models?

I liked the idea of the higher pressure of the newest one but maybe this is too good to pass up.

Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B1VC13K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pta-Bb86MYBMC

Nope, go for it. I have the 6qt version of that and it's :discourse: