Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There definitely is, because as you say if you just hold things at pressure and don’t heat your cooker so much that it’s venting all the time, you’re losing basically no liquid to evaporation while you cook. With (dry, unsoaked) beans, they’ll be absorbing liquid, though, so you don’t want to do the “just a cup of liquid for pressure” thing that you can do with like salsa verde, because they’ll scorch.

The basic guidance I’ve seen to convert pressure cooker recipes from stovetop recipes is to use 1/3 the time and 2/3 the liquid of stovetop. That will vary obviously by the wetness of the non-liquid ingredients in the recipe (and the dryness of your particular beans), but it’s a starting point.

You could always soak your beans beforehand and measure how much water they absorb, then use just a couple of cups over that amount next time you pressure cook. Or cook, then strain off the liquid afterwards, pour it back so that it just covers the beans, then measure the leftover and subtract that amount next time (and reduce the leftovers a bunch before adding it back).

Edit: you had the same ideas while I was posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Grand Fromage posted:

So back to my actual question, there's really no need to reduce initial liquid in a pressure cooker recipe even though nothing boils off?

The answer to that question is no. Having surplus liquid at the end will not make your beans bland, you can drain it. Undercooking, lack of seasoning, or low quality beans, can result in bland beans. And you're right that stovetop recipes will have more liquid than is needed for a pressure cooker. The amount of water you need is going to vary based on whether you soak the beans, and the type of beans. I think it's safe to err on the side of caution and use plenty of liquid and drain off what you don't want.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I agree that undercooking/lack of seasoning/low quality beans are more common causes of bland beans, but excessive liquid can definitely cause lack of flavor as well. The liquid you’re theoretically pouring off is effectively bean stock—imagine making chicken stock with 2x the water you need, then just pouring out half of it at the end and calling it a day. You are going to have a way shittier, less flavorful stock than if you used the right amount of water in the first place.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Scythe posted:

I agree that undercooking/lack of seasoning/low quality beans are more common causes of bland beans, but excessive liquid can definitely cause lack of flavor as well. The liquid you’re theoretically pouring off is effectively bean stock—imagine making chicken stock with 2x the water you need, then just pouring out half of it at the end and calling it a day. You are going to have a way shittier, less flavorful stock than if you used the right amount of water in the first place.

I guess it would be easy to test by tasting the liquid when done. I keep the excess liquid and use the beans to thicken it so I've never tried pouring it off. Since the beans are hard little sponges, I suspect you are losing very little flavor. Also I think if it mattered bean recipes would be fussier about the bean/water ratio.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scythe posted:

I intentionally pressure cook all my beans in lots of excess water, up to first fill line, just for the bean stock it provides. It's awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Being able to test a bean recipe in 40 minutes instead of hours is pretty neat. Half liquid was much better, though the top layer don't seem to have been submerged so I'll up it a little next time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Midniter posted:

I intentionally pressure cook all my beans in lots of excess water, up to first fill line, just for the bean stock it provides. It's awesome.

What do you do with the extra water? Make it part of the soup or drain it for some other purpose?
;edited for clarity

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 5, 2018

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Just standard frijoles de la olla. https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/mexican-beans-recipe/

I used pinto beans, which might have been part of it too. I didn't have access to pinto beans in Asia so I always used kidneys when I did this one the stovetop. Was always great despite only having a few ingredients. This time was bland city.

I checked my notes from last time and following a similar recipe I added a can of hard cider. No chicken stock. Just water and the cider. After cooking I used a hand blender to thicken the beans by blending into the liquid while it reduced. This was also pinto beans

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

What do you do with the extra water? Make it part of the soup or drain it for some other purpose?
;edited for clarity

I store it in the fridge or freezer for use with soups, deglazing, and anything savory that needs added liquid. The bean flavor is mild but still helps to add a layer of complexity to whatever I'm cooking.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Someone posted that putting your silicone seal in the oven at a low temperature would remove odors. I tried it and it made my kitchen smell like the embedded odors but the ring still smells. I baked it for half an hour at 205F.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wormil posted:

Someone posted that putting your silicone seal in the oven at a low temperature would remove odors. I tried it and it made my kitchen smell like the embedded odors but the ring still smells. I baked it for half an hour at 205F.
Well if your whole kitchen smells like those odors, you'll get acclimated to them real easy, and then it will be like they aren't there!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is a smelly ring even a problem for anything except yogurt, which you can do without the ring in?

Yogurt update: My yogurt culture that I started from a tub of storebought yogurt kind of petered out after 3 rounds, so I bought some freeze dried bulgarian yogurt starter from amazon (which is cheaper per pack than a new tub of plain yogurt, it turns out) and the result is firmer but creamier and less sour with flavor more like a mild cheese than a mouthful of lactic acid

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
Yeah, the article I linked to says they think it works because silicone absorbs scent molecules very easily, so heating the ring essentially makes all the scent molecules evaporate and that creates the smell coming from your oven.

The advice they give for very smelly items is to keep it in the oven and check every ten minutes until it doesn't smell.

A comment on that article says you might be able to do the same thing by leaving items in direct sunlight, thought that probably takes longer.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Is a smelly ring even a problem for anything except yogurt, which you can do without the ring in?

I don't think so. I do curries and white rice a lot and the rice has never had an off flavor.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
You can get replacements for all the gaskets etc for fairly cheep if smell is a huge worry, keep a clean one for anything delicate and one for curries etc.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poverty goat posted:

Is a smelly ring even a problem

:eyepop:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Warm oven didn't remove odors from the ring so next time I'll try baking soda. Works in the fridge right?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Any good cheesecake recipes? I've seen recipes (for a 7" pan) that vary from a cook time of 20m to 45m.

New York style plain or chocolate recipes are what I'm looking for.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

good deals on chicken skeletons & feet at the asian grocery store

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/0FBKuqA.mp4

this is the first time I wished I'd held out for the 8qt, but then again I made two pots of stock after dinner

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 13, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

this is the first time I wished I'd held out for the 8qt, but then again I made two pots of stock after dinner

Good stock is the best thing ever.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

That's beautiful. Chicken feet are the secret weapon for a super gelatinous stock.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Out of curiosity how long is everyone pressure cooking your chicken bones for stock? I've been doing 3 hours and have no complaints. Sometimes I roast the bones and sometimes not. The bones crumble between my fingers after. A previous roommate says she cracks the bones open to get at the marrow but I've never done that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

wormil posted:

Out of curiosity how long is everyone pressure cooking your chicken bones for stock? I've been doing 3 hours and have no complaints.

90 minutes here which seems fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

That's beautiful. Chicken feet are the secret weapon for a super gelatinous stock.

My white people market never has chicken feet, but wing tips are just as good in my experience. Buy whole wings, fabricate them for eating and save the tips in the freezer. Gives stock that jiggles just like that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My white people market ...

My black people market doesn't sell them either but my yellow people market does.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wormil posted:

Out of curiosity how long is everyone pressure cooking your chicken bones for stock? I've been doing 3 hours and have no complaints. Sometimes I roast the bones and sometimes not. The bones crumble between my fingers after. A previous roommate says she cracks the bones open to get at the marrow but I've never done that.

I just did 45 minutes, per serious eats. I weighed everything and found it to be a bit much to fit into 6 quarts, even cleavering the bones and really packing it in. This was all feet, spines and wings, and everything was mostly still holding together a bit at the joints at 45 mins so it definitely could have gone longer and yielded more gelatin.

In related news, it made a really good chilli tonight

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 15, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After 3 hours mine is not quite jello when cool but close. My CIA book says 8 hours on the stove so I figured 3 hours in a pressure cooker might be equivalent. I guess there's no downside to going long. 4 lbs of bones made about 9 cups of stock.

I didn't add any veg this last time, just bones. Think I will do the veg separate. I'm thinking 45 min for veg?

Edit, that chili looks good.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 15, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

My black people market doesn't sell them either but my yellow people market does.

My brown markets don't carry them, and only one of the yellow people markets do. Oh, the ultra white market has them sometimes, but you have to preorder and hope someone wants their whole bird sans-feet. Very annoying.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Nobody had any favorite cheesecake recipes, but I do now!

Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #17 by Amy & Jackie

I used a food processor to mix everything, and made enough crust to come up the sides some. I also used their boiling water trick to get the Instant Pot up to pressure quickly.

It tastes delicious and has a lovely creamy texture. It's not dried-out supermarket cheesecake dense, but it is dense enough to still be a hefty dessert. Made a quick berry compote to go with it; will probably do chocolate shavings next time too.

A++ will make again for Christmas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate that site so much. Why is every recipe preceded by a 10,000 word essay.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

More words is higher on google rankings, and more time on page scrolling relates to higher audience retention in google analytics, because it's a loving hell world and marketers and data analytics ruined fun not just for us but all future generations too

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

They have the instructions there multiple times, too, it's kind of silly. But the instructions are thorough so I'll put up with the opening romance.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Whats everyone best/favorite beef stew recipe? I have just winged it the last few times I have made it so I am curious what I might change to make it better if there is a common thing in peoples favorites.

I am going to make some for a potluck this week so what better time to experiment!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm curious too, because I've got a couple that I keep meaning to try:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-beef-stew/

That said, it's hard to imagine any of JKL-Alt's recipes won't be good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the beef in the kenji chili came out perfectly fall apart tender and juicy about as I'd expect from the normal kenji dutch oven beef stew. this actually makes me a bit skepical of his beef stew pressure cooker adaptation because it calls for you to bring it back up to pressure for an extra 15 mins and it seems like it'd turn my chili into bbq

Mu Zeta posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/recipe-filter/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=en

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poverty goat posted:

the beef in the kenji chili came out perfectly fall apart tender and juicy about as I'd expect from the normal kenji dutch oven beef stew. this actually makes me a bit skepical of his beef stew pressure cooker adaptation because it calls for you to bring it back up to pressure for an extra 15 mins and it seems like it'd turn my chili into bbq

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/recipe-filter/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=en

I’ve done his pressure cooker beef stew, but I read the comments before hand. Too many people said that 15 minutes is too much and will turn the potatoes to mush. I’ve gone with 7 minutes both times I’ve made it and the potatoes and beef turn out great.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

nwin posted:

I’ve done his pressure cooker beef stew, but I read the comments before hand. Too many people said that 15 minutes is too much and will turn the potatoes to mush. I’ve gone with 7 minutes both times I’ve made it and the potatoes and beef turn out great.

I tried this yesterday and the meat/vegetables still came out a bit overdone (the meat was tender and delicious but a minute or two away from disintegrating into bbq). I'm not sure the second round of pressure cooking is wise or even much of a time saver in the end on a recipe like this versus just bringing it back to a simmer for 20 minutes with an open top so you can keep an eye on things

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2018

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I don't know if it's my instant pot specifically, but I've never had much luck opening the pot and then bringing it up to pressure for a second time, with anything saucey/stewy. Especially if there's lentil or similar in there.
It reckons it's come to pressure, starts counting down but it hasn't, and I end up with a burnt bottom. Unless I go way over the top with extra liquid almost turning it in to a soup.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just made collard greens in the IP, adapting this. I reduced the stock by 1/3 and pressure cooked the hocks for an hour and a half with onions, garlic, and a serrano pepper. They weren't quite falling off the bone yet, so I left them in there as I added collards, diced country ham and some salt and pressure cooked for another 20. Best collards of my life and it didn't smell like collards till I released the steam (this makes them taste better, I think).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MeKeV posted:

I don't know if it's my instant pot specifically, but I've never had much luck opening the pot and then bringing it up to pressure for a second time, with anything saucey/stewy. Especially if there's lentil or similar in there.
It reckons it's come to pressure, starts counting down but it hasn't, and I end up with a burnt bottom. Unless I go way over the top with extra liquid almost turning it in to a soup.

Yeah it needs to be soupy to get to pressure again. You need a lot of water if you have one of the larger instant pots.