Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Has anyone done the pepper stout beef recipe in the pressure cooker?

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2848-Pepper-Stout-Beef

I'm tapped to bring something for a work retirement lunch so I was going to do this, but I definitely don't have time to smoke it. If you've pressure-cooked this, how much liquid did you add? Also, I have liquid smoke but I've never used it, how much would you use (if any)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Use like three drops of liquid smoke.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Phanatic posted:

I'm tapped to bring something for a work retirement lunch so I was going to do this, but I definitely don't have time to smoke it. If you've pressure-cooked this, how much liquid did you add? Also, I have liquid smoke but I've never used it, how much would you use (if any)?

I did, kind of. I smoked some but then when it came to the oven point in the recipe I used the IP to finish because I was behind on time and needed to leave for the place I was taking it to. I basically just made it exactly as it said but put it into the IP instead and then at the end I used a strainer scoop to get most of the meat and veggies out. Then I hit the saute function to reduce the juices/beer down by about half and added back to the meat and veggies. I want to say i did 45 min under high pressure but cant remember exactly.

You won't get the little crispiness that you get from the last half hour in the oven but you could put the meat and veggies on a sheet pan under the broiler while doing the saute step at the end.

I didn't use liquid smoke since I smoked it in the smoker first anyways but be careful and only use a few drops. it can be potent stuff and can ruin a meal pretty easily.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Phanatic posted:

I did something this for the brexit challenge in the cspam cooking thread but never posted it. I should do that. It was a Guinness stout irish pub stew and it was fuckin delicious, even without smoking the meat.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a spicy takeout-style vindaloo recipe?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Lazyhound posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spicy takeout-style vindaloo recipe?

I've never had the sort of Indian food that I think you're thinking of in my life, but I think this is what you're looking for: https://wearenotfoodies.com/the-secret-to-making-restaurant-style-curry-at-home/

edit: sorry, that's the wrong link and honestly I have no idea where my takeout style recipe cheat sheet link went. I swear to god I thought it was right there

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 16, 2019

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

If you're looking for a UK takeout style vindaloo, there's a bunch of recipes out there to recreate that 'stupid spicy but not much else' flavour. I like the more proper Goan version though, where the vinegary sour of the Portugese influence dominates.

Rick Stein has a nice version from his India book, but i really liked this one when i made it: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/08/how-to-cook-the-perfect-vindaloo-recipe

Adjusts for pressure cooker the normal way (i use just the meat/stew button on the ip for cubed pork like this, simmer a bit after on saute mode to reduce the sauce down)

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Do you usually parboil bones and remove the scum before placing them in the pressure cooker for stock?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can but no

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

horchata posted:

Do you usually parboil bones and remove the scum before placing them in the pressure cooker for stock?

i only bother with this when the stock has uncooked chicken going in it

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I don't even do it for chicken, but will do so with anything pork (as that gets very scummy indeed)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I only do it for bones/meats that get unusually scummy. Like sheepsheads.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So Oxyclean does a fantastic job of removing odors from the silicone rings. A ~4 hour soak removed about 99% of all odors. There is just a faint whiff of chicken stock left. Soaking overnight would probably get rid of that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I made my first ever risotto in my pressure cooker and it came out fantastic. Will definitely be doing that again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

I made my first ever risotto in my pressure cooker and it came out fantastic. Will definitely be doing that again.

I had to stop doing this on a weekly basis because my pants stopped fitting. It’s that good. And infinite variety.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had to stop doing this on a weekly basis because my pants stopped fitting. It’s that good. And infinite variety.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I put a shitload of veggies in there, but I need to work out some way to make it healthier.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any specific risotto recipe y'all are using? I wanna jump on this train..

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://youtu.be/14WsztUsIPA

I mostly followed that recipe, but the video is painful to watch, so just read it in the description.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

wormil posted:

So Oxyclean does a fantastic job of removing odors from the silicone rings. A ~4 hour soak removed about 99% of all odors. There is just a faint whiff of chicken stock left. Soaking overnight would probably get rid of that.

I've had my IP for 3 years now and it's still on the original ring. I tell my wife each time before I cook with it that it smells absolutely incredible. I will never soak this ring.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Any specific risotto recipe y'all are using? I wanna jump on this train..

Serious eats has a few variations on the theme. Start with the mushroom.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, I know the feeling. I put a shitload of veggies in there, but I need to work out some way to make it healthier.

The rice and the ungodly amounts of fat work against you.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Okay, I finally decided to order an Instant Pot since they were super on sale on Amazon. It arrived today just before I left for work, but apparently the delivery person just tossed the whole package over the gate (I live in a courtyard style building), onto concrete. I haven't opened it yet as I'm at work, but I'm kind of dreading opening it tonight and finding it smashed to pieces or DOA. Amazon's delivery standards are pretty poo poo, I guess. Should I be nervous about future problems with the electronics inside from it being tossed around?

Anyway, assuming it works, does anyone have some tips/pointers for cooking straight-up grains (rice/millet/wheatberries/etc) and/or beans in this thing?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Amazon’s delivery may be a bit poo poo sometimes but their returns are pretty drat good if it is bashed up definitely return it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah they'd rather just give you a new one rather than try to fix delivery service. I've been complaining about my deliveries for as long as I can remember :shrug:

That's impressive though, IPs are not heavy, but they're also not incredibly light.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Keret posted:

Should I be nervous about future problems with the electronics inside from it being tossed around?

The electronics will probably be perfectly fine. I'd be more worried about a potentially dented pressurized vessel.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed, I got one with a badly dented exterior. The interior pot didn't look dented but I exchanged it anyway. You really don't want to gently caress with flaws in a pressurized vessel

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The exterior of mine somehow dented inward during a cook at some point. It's been fine, just cosmetic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bottle cap challenge with an instant pot gone wrong

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Keret posted:

... assuming it works, does anyone have some tips/pointers...

Most internet IP recipes are adapted slow cooker recipes and use way too much water.

When it comes to dried beans, soaking isn't necessary but I prefer the texture.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Keret posted:

Okay, I finally decided to order an Instant Pot since they were super on sale on Amazon. It arrived today just before I left for work, but apparently the delivery person just tossed the whole package over the gate (I live in a courtyard style building), onto concrete. I haven't opened it yet as I'm at work, but I'm kind of dreading opening it tonight and finding it smashed to pieces or DOA. Amazon's delivery standards are pretty poo poo, I guess. Should I be nervous about future problems with the electronics inside from it being tossed around?

Anyway, assuming it works, does anyone have some tips/pointers for cooking straight-up grains (rice/millet/wheatberries/etc) and/or beans in this thing?

So did it make it? Are you dead?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

So did it make it? Are you dead?

Still alive! It was in fine condition, somehow. :shrug: I don't know how, but I suppose they managed to set it down gently enough.

Anyway, I cooked up a pound of black-eyed peas from dry in about an hour start to finish this morning using manual settings, which was glorious. They're a bit al dente, so I'll need to tinker with the time settings, but a good start nonetheless. BBQ baked black-eyed peas, here I come. And then maybe on to risotto and polenta... :science:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Keret posted:

Still alive! It was in fine condition, somehow. :shrug: I don't know how, but I suppose they managed to set it down gently enough.

Anyway, I cooked up a pound of black-eyed peas from dry in about an hour start to finish this morning using manual settings, which was glorious. They're a bit al dente, so I'll need to tinker with the time settings, but a good start nonetheless. BBQ baked black-eyed peas, here I come. And then maybe on to risotto and polenta... :science:

I find the times listed online for beans to be on the low end, mine almost always come out al dente if I just follow the time listed (depending on where you get your recipes). I've had the most success at the 55 minute mark, few if any blowouts and they're all creamy. You'll find lower than that but it hasn't worked for me.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Really depends on how fresh the beans are too. Supermercado or hippy store beans? Almost overcooked at the low end of most suggested times. Grocery store beans? I gotta add 10-15 minutes sometimes.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How do you guys do your dried beans anyway? That long period of time under pressure, and a quick release? Or do you give it a natural release for some time?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VERTiG0 posted:

How do you guys do your dried beans anyway? That long period of time under pressure, and a quick release? Or do you give it a natural release for some time?

I prefer to soak them as I find the texture better, but that's not always possible. Otherwise about 50 minutes underpressure for non-thin-skinned varieties, and then taking it off the heat to naturally release. I prefer onion, garlic, celery as a base, with one or two dried herbs. I find them come out smooth and silky and delicious, making sure to add acid after the beans are cooked.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Thank you. Is this generally a good guide for most dried beans?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pre-soak, lots of onions, beans, stock, 30 minutes.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
30 minute soak prior to pressure cooking? Why not just add 5-10 minutes to the cook time under pressure?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sorry, those are different steps. Longer version, this my base bean soup:
1, Pre-soak 1lb beans, 1 hr in hot water or overnight in cold water
2, chop 3 large onions, add butter, and soften in IP
3, add chicken or vegetable stock and beans
4, cook under pressure for 30 minutes
5, I like to mash some beans with a potato masher to release more starch and thicken the soup.

As said a few posts up, soaking isn't necessary but I prefer the texture.

I make bean soup 3-4x month so I've experimented a lot. My favorite meat to add is pork roast cut into 1 inch cubes, the kind used for carnitas. I also often add 8oz of crushed tomatoes and a few dashes of soy sauce or fish sauce. I've made many other variations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I never soak my beans because I bought an instant pot to get around soaking beans. I don't mind the texture difference. If beans make you toot you should definitely see if soaking the beans helps any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Adding some baking soda can help with the softening the texture.