Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Bunk posted:

Whoops, link fixed. There was no sauteing involved (though after eating it I'll probably brown the skin next time). Wondering if it might have been that there's no liquid in the recipe, and after essentially slow-cooking for a few minutes the tomatoes released enough to pressurize the next time I tried.

You need at least 1 cup of liquid in the pot to come up to pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I bought my sister and her husband a pressure cooker for Christmas and then decided to buy my own and have yet to break it in.

I typically enjoy making stews with cheap-cut chunks of beef, the kind that needs at least 3 hours to be edible. Roughly how much cooking time under pressure would it need to be as tender?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

I bought my sister and her husband a pressure cooker for Christmas and then decided to buy my own and have yet to break it in.

I typically enjoy making stews with cheap-cut chunks of beef, the kind that needs at least 3 hours to be edible. Roughly how much cooking time under pressure would it need to be as tender?

Depends on the cut of meat, 20 to 40 minutes under pressure will usually take care of 3 or 4 pounds of beef or chicken.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Perfect, thanks

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I did a 3lb cottage roll in the Instant Pot last night. 30 minutes at high pressure. Served it atop a bed of garlic mashed potatoes with a nice green salad on the side to add colour. The resulting liquid from the pork (and onions that I threw in as well) made an incredible gravy that I should have thickened up, but whatever.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Going to cook some great northern beans tonight. I've got a frozen ham bone from our Thanksgiving ham to put in there. What else should I toss in for delicious beans?

Also, about how long should they cook under pressure?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So yeah. Best beans Ive had in a while and they were super low effort. Soaked the beans overnight. Drained and rinsed. Sweated/sauteed some shallots I had laying around with some garlic. Added 8 cups of chicken broth (made with Better than bullion because I'm lazy af and it's decent), the beans, and my leftover ham bone. Cooked under pressure for 26 minutes, then let them release naturally for 20ish more. Took the bone out, removed the meat on it, diced the meat up very fine and returned it. Blended the beans a little to thicken.

Typing it out makes it seem more complicated than it was. So drat easy for Sunday night meal prep. Now I just need a slab of onion and some Louisiana hot sauce (somehow I am missing all my vinegar based sauces...).

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ok so last night I got my first pressure cooker, an electric bosch autocook pro and it's pretty overwhelming. I'm thinking of starting off easy with some dried chickpeas and sausage in tomato sauce. Can I cook it all in one pot or would it be better if I made them separately? I'm kinda worried that 40mins in high pressure (apparent internet consensus on dry chickpeas cooking method) will gently caress up the sausage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

So yeah. Best beans Ive had in a while and they were super low effort. Soaked the beans overnight. Drained and rinsed. Sweated/sauteed some shallots I had laying around with some garlic. Added 8 cups of chicken broth (made with Better than bullion because I'm lazy af and it's decent), the beans, and my leftover ham bone. Cooked under pressure for 26 minutes, then let them release naturally for 20ish more. Took the bone out, removed the meat on it, diced the meat up very fine and returned it. Blended the beans a little to thicken.

Typing it out makes it seem more complicated than it was. So drat easy for Sunday night meal prep. Now I just need a slab of onion and some Louisiana hot sauce (somehow I am missing all my vinegar based sauces...).

What kind of beans were they? 26 minutes at pressure for beans that have been soaked seems like an awful long time to me, not to mention the 20 minute natural release. What was the consistency like when they were done?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Great northern. They were pretty old, I think. They were soft, but not much. Well, the ones I didn't blend, anyway.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Pooper Trooper posted:

Ok so last night I got my first pressure cooker, an electric bosch autocook pro and it's pretty overwhelming. I'm thinking of starting off easy with some dried chickpeas and sausage in tomato sauce. Can I cook it all in one pot or would it be better if I made them separately? I'm kinda worried that 40mins in high pressure (apparent internet consensus on dry chickpeas cooking method) will gently caress up the sausage.

Yeah, you'll end up with dissolved sausage, I imagine. They'd still taste good, but wouldn't have very appealing texture.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pooper Trooper posted:

I would cook the chickpeas with some of the spices for 20-30 minutes. Then open it up and add the more fragile ingredients, like the sausage. Then boil for 5-10 minutes.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I just got an Instant Pot Mini.

My apartment's cabinets are cheap, and I'm afraid that the steam from the pressure release will damage them. They live above the counter, where the Instant Pot lives. I also have a very small counter, as it's a very small apartment.

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters? Alternatively, can I just use NPR for nearly everything I cook, or will that turn some things into mush? I've heard conflicting reports about putting a washcloth over the valve when releasing the pressure. (I always let it sit for a few minutes before I release it with the valve anyways.)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Qu Appelle posted:

My apartment's cabinets are cheap, and I'm afraid that the steam from the pressure release will damage them. They live above the counter, where the Instant Pot lives. I also have a very small counter, as it's a very small apartment.

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters? Alternatively, can I just use NPR for nearly everything I cook, or will that turn some things into mush? I've heard conflicting reports about putting a washcloth over the valve when releasing the pressure. (I always let it sit for a few minutes before I release it with the valve anyways.)

When I use the quick release I always put a folded up kitchen towel over the top. It keeps the steam and water from going everywhere. It won't stop all the steam but it absorbs most of it. I don't know what danger there would be in putting a towel over it unless you used a wet one and the water went down into the electronics but the little water from the steam will just get soaked up by most any towel.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Qu Appelle posted:

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters?

I've started just using the cabinet door to hold a sheet of foil in place, folding and angling it to direct the steam away.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Anyone have a killer recipe for instant-pot pork shoulder?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Extortionist posted:

I've started just using the cabinet door to hold a sheet of foil in place, folding and angling it to direct the steam away.

This is brilliant, and I'm stealing this idea. Thanks!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Has anyone done osso bucco in a pressure cooker? Thinking about trying that this week.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VERTiG0 posted:

Has anyone done osso bucco in a pressure cooker? Thinking about trying that this week.

I haven't, but Emeril and the NYT have:

http://emerils.com/127951/quick-osso-buco
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018854-pressure-cooker-osso-buco

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Anyone have a killer recipe for instant-pot pork shoulder?

I made this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html

I subbed 1/3 cup brown sugar for the raisins and OJ, and used 1/2 of the chicken stock. I had to reduce it for a few minutes after cooking, but it came out with a great consistency. It's basically delicious pork chili taco stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made some delicious bean soup tonight in my Instant Pot.

1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight.
4 medium onions.
2 celery stalks.
1 green bell pepper.
1 lb chorizo.
6 oz sundried tomatoes w/oil
3 TB butter
2 TB cocktail sauce
32 oz beef stock
24-30 oz of onion broth (estimated, excess liquid from pressure cooking 5 lbs of onions to make French onion soup)
25 minutes on high

I was afraid it would be too onion-y but it wasn't, it was delicious.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Cross posted from the smoked meats thread:

Hey all, quick semi-niche question. Got a gift for the holidays I'm thrilled about, it's a combination pressure cooker/smoker.

http://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10063

My question is I was also gifted some superfine wood chips (bought separately), rather than the regular size chips the unit recommends. My understanding of the difference between the size of chips is the burn time, that they'd need to be replaced quicker because they burn faster. However, because this is pressure cooking, that smoke wouldn't dissipate as it's an enclosed system. Because of this, could I use the superfine chips instead of the regular size chips?

If so, is there a conversion ratio (IE 1 regular chip is 1 tablespoon of super fine, etc)? I'm pumped to use this, as I live in a small New York apartment with no outdoor space, so the prospect of getting smoked meat here is pretty awesome.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I feel like this thread won't have as many smoker experts as the smoked meats or bbq threads. I have a pressure cooker but never a smoker. Good luck though and now I'm interested if these multi function smokers are decent?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ordered an 8 quart instant pot for friends for Christmas.

I have one of the huge stovetop Kuhn Rikon stovetop jobs, and it’s awesome but I will be curious how the instant pot compares. Wondering if it might make a good second gizmo for when I don’t want to make stock from two whole turkeys at once.

I did use mine to do three full loads of tamales today, and about an hour with natural release worked great. Won’t ever do stovetop for 2-3 hours in the giant tamale put again. I can do more in the same time with my pressure cooker. The last round it didn’t want to get started (wouldn’t start pressurizing to lock) but we muscled it on eventually.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like my instant pot isn't cooking as quickly as it should. I cooked a chuck toast for 50 minutes on high, added quartered baby potatoes and went 10 more minutes. The potatoes weren't done and the roast was still a little tough. 10 more minutes fixed both but the potatoes were overcooked.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Extortionist posted:

I'm doing this now, and it's working beautifully.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I just got a 3 qt Instant Pot for Christmas (whee) and I made a basic 'chicken and rice' recipe tonight, and holy poo poo it was easy, tasty, and gave us a crapton of leftovers. I see a lot of recipes are for bigger pots, but it's just my husband and I so I don't need a huge pot - the cup and a half of brown rice that the recipe called for has left us with two rounds of meals in leftovers alone.

How much does cook time change when you, say, half a recipe? Like I have a pound-and-change of boneless country ribs I'd like to cook but a lot of recipes are using two and three pound pieces of meat. Is it just half the time, or should I be shooting for cook time per pound?

Also if anyone has any good clearing-house type websites or cookbooks for Instant Pot cookery I'd love to know more. I'm in school and anything that's easy and fast would be great, particularly easy so the husband can learn to cook with it too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What was the chicken and rice recipe?

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Mu Zeta posted:

What was the chicken and rice recipe?

https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-southwestern-chicken-and-rice/

It was nothing Earth shattering, but it was good and filling, easy to do, and a nice test of my pot.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ordered an 8 quart instant pot for friends for Christmas.

I have one of the huge stovetop Kuhn Rikon stovetop jobs, and it’s awesome but I will be curious how the instant pot compares. Wondering if it might make a good second gizmo for when I don’t want to make stock from two whole turkeys at once.

I did use mine to do three full loads of tamales today, and about an hour with natural release worked great. Won’t ever do stovetop for 2-3 hours in the giant tamale put again. I can do more in the same time with my pressure cooker. The last round it didn’t want to get started (wouldn’t start pressurizing to lock) but we muscled it on eventually.

I made tamales for the first time this past weekend and a lot of them came out soft, like the dough was undercooked. I cooked them for over an hour, like every recipe said, but I should have done two? God damnit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've found that a lot of pressure cooker recipes have wrong times even when they are using the exact same cooker. So I look at as many recipes as I can find.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I didn’t use a pressure cooker at all I mean and still only cooked them an hour. Steamed em

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jay Carney posted:

I didn’t use a pressure cooker at all I mean and still only cooked them an hour. Steamed em

You way under cooked them. They should set up and pull away cleanly from the husk. I took three goes at pressure the first time to get them set and not mushy. Ended up doing them for an hour and slow release by the third batch and that was okay, the slow release helped them set.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sehkmet posted:

I just got a 3 qt Instant Pot for Christmas (whee) and I made a basic 'chicken and rice' recipe tonight, and holy poo poo it was easy, tasty, and gave us a crapton of leftovers. I see a lot of recipes are for bigger pots, but it's just my husband and I so I don't need a huge pot - the cup and a half of brown rice that the recipe called for has left us with two rounds of meals in leftovers alone.

How much does cook time change when you, say, half a recipe? Like I have a pound-and-change of boneless country ribs I'd like to cook but a lot of recipes are using two and three pound pieces of meat. Is it just half the time, or should I be shooting for cook time per pound?

Also if anyone has any good clearing-house type websites or cookbooks for Instant Pot cookery I'd love to know more. I'm in school and anything that's easy and fast would be great, particularly easy so the husband can learn to cook with it too.

You wouldn't halve the time, some things take a certain time no matter the amount, eg brown rice takes 17min whether 1 cup or 2. Dried beans are the same +/- 3 min, certain cuts of meat take a specific time too and weight doesn't matter so much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 20, 2017

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

You way under cooked them. They should set up and pull away cleanly from the husk. I took three goes at pressure the first time to get them set and not mushy. Ended up doing them for an hour and slow release by the third batch and that was okay, the slow release helped them set.

God drat. This explains everything. Thanks so much. Even the Bayless recipe said 1.25 hours and my mother said “when they are ready you’ll know” like I’m in Coco and my Mexican ancestors will float out of the pot telling me they are set.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Only if you bought your pot from Needful Things.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I made this baked beans recipe from Serious Eats three nights ago and would heartily recommend it. I didn't have any leftover smoked meat, so instead I chopped up and cooked some bacon in the pressure cooker on saute to start the process. I used dried pasilla chilies, since that was what I could find at the store. The only thing I would change going back is that I forgot to salt the whole thing when I started it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jay Carney posted:

God drat. This explains everything. Thanks so much. Even the Bayless recipe said 1.25 hours and my mother said “when they are ready you’ll know” like I’m in Coco and my Mexican ancestors will float out of the pot telling me they are set.

Tamale Sense takes a long time to develop. I’m maybe 5-7 years in and I can kind of tell when the smell is right. I figure 20 years to master total, doing them only at Christmas time. The sauce and meat are the same thing, takes time and wondering and figuring it out.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Little late but I did read of people using PVC pipe elbow to fit over the steam release valve and redirect the steam. I'm actually looking into doing this myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make a tent from a damp washcloth to soak up most of the steam.