Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Instant pot. They were definitely whole chickpeas, but store brand from food lion. Is it possible they were parcooked or something? Is that a thing? I know that fast pressure release can cause weirdness- theres a split pea soup recipe somewhere that actually prescribes quick-release right away after cooking to effectively puree them.

Did the recipe call for soaking? Those cook and stand times sound way long for already-hydrated chickpeas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Donkey posted:

I was able to get the smell out of my sealing ring by leaving it in the sun for a while, so baking it does seem like it might work.

Baking should work, at the cost of releasing those same smells into your home.

Once a year or so I get fed up with my silicone ice molds and bake them and am treated to a house full of concentrated freezer smell as a reminder of why I don't deodorize them in the oven. But a house full of curry aromas would probably be pretty appealing, tbh.

Maybe don't use it for a fishy ring.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Anyone else have issues with the Milk Street pressure cooker recipes? They always look reasonable from the numbers and consistency, but any given recipe is a 50/50 for me on triggering burn warnings (sometimes more than once). Which is kinda odd since I'm using an Instant Pot Duo, i.e. the exact appliance they were developed with. There's nothing stuck to the pot before starting the cook cycle, I'm measuring as exactly as possible, and I'm having absolutely no issue with recipes for similar dishes from any other source. Am I missing any other common fixes beyond "blindly add more liquid"?

My boyfriend picked up a Breville Fast Slow Pro at Goodwill (because he correctly believed you can never have too many pressure cookers, especially for $7), and the same recipes work in that and its ceramic pot without the machine complaining. I hate its stupid finicky rotary lid, but it's a good machine otherwise.