Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Slow cookers are a common recommendation to people in YLLS who want to do :effort: cooking, but last year I bought an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, and soon after started recommending those instead. I don't know what the differences are to serious cooks, but as a cooking layman it seems like they're basically slow cookers that aren't slow, and blow up if you're really dumb with them.

I've been using it for pretty simple things, like chili, beans, and simple "filler" protein like pulled pork/chicken. Lazy, functional stuff. I'm curious to see what people do with these things that is more creative than salsa chicken and the like. What are some cool things I can do with my pressure cooker that will make me want to spend all my time using it instead of working out and playing War Thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'll give the eggs a try now. My cooker doesn't have a low pressure setting (the Duo line does, but mine's the regular) so hopefully the high pressure doesn't crack them.

The soup dealie sounds like it would own hard with sweet potatoes. I'll give that a go in the next day or so.

guppy posted:

I love the idea of pressure cookers, but every time I think about buying one I see a picture of someone's pressure cooker lid blown through the ceiling and I think "Maybe I won't do that." I have no idea if this fear is reasonable but it seems to come up a lot.

Like Bart said, get an electric one. The only way to screw it up is to do something that the manual warns you a hundred times not to do, like use it for frying or force it open when it's pressurized by pushing down the little locking nub with a chopstick while it's shooting hot steam into your fingers, which is a dumb idea anyway.

Even stovetop ones have redundant safety features that make it hard to explode your kitchen unless you are reaaaaallllly dumb.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I made caramelized carrot soup today and it was hella good! I'm gonna try it with sweet potatoes next time. Sweet potatoes are the poo poo.

EVG posted:

Sunday I made these short ribs, served over right with some baby bok choy on the side: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7539-pressure-cooker-asian-style-boneless-beef-short-ribs

That'll probably be next.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Bye Grandma

Good lord. :stare: