Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do love the pseudo canned pressure cooker uses. Caramelizing onions, garlic confit... super easy but i hate oatmeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It also depends on whether your cooker vents or is completely sealed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MeKeV posted:

It's not essential, it just gives a deeper flavour.

You can make the same recipe with no browning at all, it will just be less tasty.

Get out if here Mr kimball

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You don't need to submerge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I guess I"m usually veggie heavy. I only fill about half way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Broth is seasoned.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wow that's dumb, no such thing as veggie broth or stock then.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

In fact I'm going to call google about it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranter posted:

There are people in this thread discussing recipes and methods for pressure cooked ragu alla bolognese though, which aligns with what fo3 is saying.

there are pressure cookers that are stainless. not everything is an isntapot

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trastion posted:

My Instapot has a stainless pot, don't they all?

some are ceramic and other brands use teflon

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

People use turkey friers a lot for the canners outside and it avoids making your house super hot in August (and October this year)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it boils.

makes a nice mcribwich texture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranter posted:

Are recipe books really better than googling a dish and spending 20 minutes reading 3 - 10 recipes and picking bits and pieces you like from each? I end up making a dish 2 - 5 times always tweaking before I'm 'satisfied' with it, even if its from a cookbook.
Generally the best web site recipes are :filez: of books.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

does browning the flour somehow stop it from being clumpy/gritty then?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You make it into a slurry by mixing it with 2 cups of chicken broth then add it to the main pot. The pot should already have 2 more cups of chicken stock, vegetables, and meats cooking. The main difference is that ATK recommends putting in the roux mixture near the end of cooking.

You can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4

It definitely doesn't look traditional. It's way thicker than the ones I've had at restaurants and they use about double the roux of most recipes.

That's how we in the midwest make gravy.

a gravy gumbo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

flour slurry into meat juice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The burn warning, if it's like other electrics, would be due to the bottom layer of squash or w/e reading as hotter than 250 or w/e when it's building pressure. In the same scenario a stovetop would result in a bit of char on the bottom. Stir before closing the lid and bring up to a simmer/boil before closing as well to help prevent this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

well boiling emulsifies and a fattier cut of meat may not be appropriate

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I really don't get why potatoes are recommended but tomatoes aren't. That recipe is a bit fast and loose which I like but does lead to potential failures. You're cooker really should not have started a timer without hitting pressure, that's concerning imho.
can't embed but here's a hopefully accurate water content of veggies:
http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server./INFO/BOOKS-PHDS/BOOKS/FOODFACTS/html/data/water/water-vegetables.gif

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can but no

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eke you can get powerd dashi to add which probably would not go bitter or soak then remove before doing the actual cook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you can also instantly depressurize a stovetop by taking it to the sink and running water over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not "do not brown food" milk street specific but brining to a simmer before clamping the lid helps with my not instant pot electric pressure machine.