Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rime posted:

So I have this steel pressure cooker from, like, the 1940's or 50's that my grandmother used for canning. Hasn't been put to the test in about 15 years at this point however.

On a scale of 1 to Dead, how likely do you think it is to explode?

I'm not an expert, but you will almost certainly need to at least replace the sealing ring. Beyond that, I would think that if it isn't rusting or otherwise structurally compromised, it will likely be fine, if lacking modern safety features and thus possibly requiring you to be a bit more careful to follow proper safety procedures yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Croatoan posted:

What setting do I use to fry things in my instant pot? Just put in a 220V outlet?

You use the "unplugged and put away in a cabinet" setting, because you should not try to fry things in your instant pot.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

we got an instant pot for christmas despite me saying it was a bad idea, the thing just steams constantly extremely loudly even with the steam vent in sealing. Did we break it some how already?

1) Make sure the valve is all the way closed
2) Check the silicone sealing ring on the lid. There’s a metal ring it fits around, if the silicone ring gets dislodged from the metal one it can lead to what you’re describing

It should vent some steam while coming to pressure, but once the pressure indicator pops up it should be silent until you release the valve.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Well, I took out the sealing ring and cleaned off the few drops of water that were there, then put it back in, and then after firmly pushing down on the lid it finally sealed. I guess I gotta keep this thing more spotless than I thought!

This doesn’t sound right to me, I never have to push on the lid to get it to seal. You may have a faulty unit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

So I've read a little bit about the Instant Pot's silicone ring absorbing flavours, is it really noticeable in the stuff you cook?

I ask because this morning when I opened it up, I could very readily smell the vegetable stock I made a few days prior. Nothing noticeable in the taste of the oatmeal, but if it is common for the ring to bleed flavours I'd rather not find out in my morning no-effort breakfast.

I’ve never had a problem with the flavors transferring via the silicone ring. I did have one time where I had to pull the ring out and wash it when I put too much stuff and it overflowed, but that was really obvious with food stuck to it and stuff.

You should replace the ring every so often anyway (1-3 times a year, I think?) which should help as well.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Picked up an instant pot when they were on sale recently and it kind of owns. It's getting cold here and soup/stew season seems like it's going to be fun. :)

Hell yeah, get you some chuck or short rib and make the hell out of some stew.

Buy a chicken, roast it, eat from that & strip the rest of the meat, then put the bones in your pressure cooker with some veggies to make the best stock you've ever had and make chicken noodle soup with the meat.

Buy a pork shoulder and make more pulled pork than you can eat in <2 hours.

Then buy Indian Instant Pot and make some delicious vegetarian Indian food because holy poo poo that was a lot of meat

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Am I being dumb? Is there some computerized wizardry happening?

Any Instant Pot recipe should work in a stovetop pressure cooker, with a few notes:
1) As long as the IP recipe uses manual mode, and not one of the fancy auto-settings. Even then you could probably make it work, those auto-settings don’t work all that great in my experience.
2) Stovetop pressure cookers get to a slightly higher pressure than electric ones, so you might need to reduce the cooking time (I think up to ~20%? YMMV)
3) Some of the trickier recipes may rely on how the IP gets up to temperature- I’m thinking particularly of the ones that rely on cooking enough moisture out of some vegetables instead of added water. I’m sure you could recreate this with some trial and error though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

Oh, yeah, you can go the other way too. For the liquid thing, I was thinking that a stovetop pressure cooker heated with a proper burner has a different temperature curve than an electric one with a lovely little built-in element. So the stovetop one might get hotter faster and change how much liquid you extract or something.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Trastion posted:

gently caress serious eats. Why does that photo have a basil leaf in the soup bowl still? You don't serve anything in the bowl that you can't/wouldn't eat.

1) That’s a bay leaf, not a basil leaf.
2) Removing the bay leaf or not is a cultural thing, some places it’s left in and getting it in your bowl is considered a sign of good luck.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Also: Don't fill it above the max fill line (it's marked on the pot), and if you cook rice in it make sure to rinse it first or it'll boil over (not dangerous but it'll trigger the safety release and gently caress up the cooking).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I see in that Wirecutter article that some of them have some kind of altitude adjustment. How important is that if I'm living up in the CO mountains at 8-9000 feet?

I live at about 6,000 feet and get pretty good results multiplying all cook times about about 1.25. I think I determined that based on a rough guide somewhere, but I don’t recall where.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

barkbell posted:

how much better is a stovetop kuhn rikon than an instantpot

What aspects do you most care about? I’d argue that the instant pot is significantly better unless you want to do something very specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

barkbell posted:

dont the stovetop ones achieve much higher pressure

They get somewhat higher pressure, but I don’t know of anything that enables you to do that you can’t do with an electric, and the electric requires zero babysitting. So yeah, stovetop ones cook like 20% or so faster, but that’s about it as far as I know.

Unless you’re talking about pressure canners, which is a whole other thing.