Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hi angerbot! :D

Huh. Looks like English kedgeree is literally nothing like its originator kichidi. Like, nothing at all. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Broccoli doesn't need pressure cooking unless you're taking it to mushy overdone.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
We cannot escape salsa chicken. It has infected this place too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I thought everyone did the multiple things in a pressure cooker thing, but guess I was wrong. Here’s a lady whose recipes are solid who explains the process.

https://youtu.be/U7_9iznfXDM

It’s like a really common thing in south India, because most home cooks only have 2 burners, no oven, and gigantic pressure cookers for a family of 4 - 6. Most don’t have a gas line coming into the home, so they just refill the tank.

The burner that the lady is using is a fancy one, because the space between the two burners is generous. So what they’ll have is pretty decent sized counter space, a good deep sink, and those two dinky little burners.

Edit: just got back from VA where I was visiting family, and I never felt so validated before. Both sister in law and her best friend bought an instant pot, and both hate it violently, except to make potatoes. Apparently both have relegated them to potato making devices, because both (like me) own more than one pressure cooker in more than one size. So there’s the 2 L size for making daal, the 4 L size for making rice really fast, the giant one for doing multiple things cooking. I guess when you’re used to the stove top version, and the speed and control it gives you, the “BURNING” warning gets old after once or twice, especially when you’re using pressure cookers because you are crap at planning ahead, and you/your kids won’t do leftovers, so you cook exactly what’s needed for one meal. I thought I was being a picky bitch for disliking the instant pot, because to hear tell, it’s the second coming and nirvana all rolled into one.

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 31, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone had good experiences with PC biryani? Followed the twosleevers recipe and the first time I ended up with the water coming nowhere near covering the rice so I ended up with hard undercooked but somehow still sludgy rice, the second time I added a little more water and am currently chowing down on tasty biryani flavored congee.

OK, so couple of notes to consider with biriyani:

- Even if the recipe doesn't specify, try to find what's called "white sella" or parboiled basmati rice. Reason is that raw rice is too delicate to be handled enough for the spices and other junk to combine with the rice, and will either be undercooked and hard in the middle, or porridge. Avoid what's called "golden sella" basmati. You don't want them to have parboiled it so long that the grains turn golden in colour, but you also don't want to use raw rice.

- Soak the rice. Seriously. Even if you only have time to soak it for like 15 minutes, it'll help the results tremendously.

- Pasta method. You want extremely separate grains that are still cooked through, but not at all clumpy or sticky. Again, remember that bit about needing to work it so that it combines with all the stuff? Also, you don't want to cook the rice all the way through. You want it juuuuuuuuust this side of al dente, because it's meant to complete cooking in the oven with all the other stuff you add. You also don't want to just throw rice and other ingredients together, and try to cook the rice in the gravy (can't think of another word for the surrounding flavouring).

- IDK how it would work in a pressure cooker, but the reason that Indians use it for biriyani is because most Indian homes don't have an oven, and you're trying to replicate that indirect heat that slowly finishes the rice to perfection while giving it enough time to absorb the flavours of the spices and junk. If you do have access to an oven, by all means use it! Layer the cooked rice with the other ingredients in alternating layers. Cover tightly with foil. Traditionally, it'd be made in a clay pot with coals and such, but you can use a dutch oven or a casserole dish. and it'll come out perfectly fine. The key is to make sure it's tightly covered.

- Heave that sucker in the oven for like 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how long the recipe calls for it. and then let it sit and steam for like 10 minutes out of the oven before you serve.

-