Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Also, how viable is it to put frozen meat directly into the pressure cooker? Setting aside the worries of searing and all that for now. Will it cook fully?

Add an extra minute or two per pound. I've done it with chicken and ground beef and it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

The Bunk posted:

Guess I should have done the test run they suggested, because something is hosed with my new Duo (or more likely me). The float valve never comes up even though it starts the countdown. Trying to make http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html. Seems to be warming fine, but never locks. The valve isn’t stuck or anything - if I remove the top and press it back down the valve comes up but won’t let me rotate it since the lock is out. Am I just not sealing it right? gently caress.

Edit: Ok seems like I got it sealed and float valve just popped up. Dinner late but not ruined.

The link is broken, but if you sauté in your instant pot make sure there isn’t anything scorched and stuck to the bottom of the pot, it can make it act funny coming up to temperature.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

I bought my sister and her husband a pressure cooker for Christmas and then decided to buy my own and have yet to break it in.

I typically enjoy making stews with cheap-cut chunks of beef, the kind that needs at least 3 hours to be edible. Roughly how much cooking time under pressure would it need to be as tender?

Depends on the cut of meat, 20 to 40 minutes under pressure will usually take care of 3 or 4 pounds of beef or chicken.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kudaros posted:

We get a CSA box every week and sometimes (everytime) we get behind on cooking. Does anyone have any recommendations for generic vegetable stew recipes we can use to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and get it done?

We have a lot of root vegetables and their associated greens at moment. I'm about to just go with some vegetable stew recipe that calls for similar ingredients and substitute them out, but I'm not familiar with things like water balance for additional vegetables, how long to cook greens vs. kohlrabi, etc. I'm assuming I can just saute some stuff then mix it all in and go.

You can always just make a basic veggie stock and freeze it for use later. Sauté your aromatics and then throw everything else in with water and cook it for an hour. If you get gas from broccoli and similar veggies then try to avoid putting them in your stock, unless you want to be able to peel the paint off your walls with your rear end.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Get the 8 qt. The extra space is much better than extra buttons. I don’t know about everybody else, but I basically only use two buttons, sauté and manual.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Unbelievably White posted:

How do you make one serving of oatmeal in an 8 quart Instant Pot? Do I need to get a metal or silicon bowl or something?

You could do it in a larger ramekin or bowl, probably would want to use the stand, mix your oat meal with water and just dump a cup of water in the bottom to steam with.

Honestly sounds like a lot of work though, I would just cook up 3 or 4 days worth and toss the leftovers in the refrigerator.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Anything you want to not be mushy needs to be done at the end.

I would take the advice above and sauté them for a couple minutes and add them after you release pressure. Basically bring the soup back to a boil and then throw them in for 5 minutes. Same as if you were adding noodles.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arcsech posted:

Hell yeah, get you some chuck or short rib and make the hell out of some stew.

Buy a chicken, roast it, eat from that & strip the rest of the meat, then put the bones in your pressure cooker with some veggies to make the best stock you've ever had and make chicken noodle soup with the meat.

Buy a pork shoulder and make more pulled pork than you can eat in <2 hours.

Then buy Indian Instant Pot and make some delicious vegetarian Indian food because holy poo poo that was a lot of meat

To add to soup chat, you can just put a 3-4 lb. raw chicken in with some veggies and water and have soup in about an hour and a half.

We do a lot of chicken tortilla soup as well, and it's so yummy, I want some now.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

wallaka posted:

Maybe just use less liquid?

My biggest hurdle has been figuring out how much water to use in recipes.
I made apple butter a few weeks back and ended up with apple soup, despite using qlmost no water, and I still haven't been able to get a green chili with any body to it. Still an awesome piece of kitchen gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you done this in the instant pot? From what I understand it needs to have a minimum of a cup of liquid or it won't work. It should be fine on a stove top pressure cooker.

There might be enough liquid in the tomatoes and chicken to seal it up, but I would probably add a cup of something to get it to seal.