Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Malek posted:

Does anyone have any opinions between the LUX, DUO or SMART?

I know I won't be making Yogurt with it (so I guess LUX is out, leaving DUO and SMART) but that SMART option really appeals to me... but I don't know if it appeals to me to the point of raising the price from $150 to $240. Thoughts?

Get the 8qt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
In a pressure cooker, 33% more space will be way more useful than the other functions of the others. 99% of the time you're just going to press manual and set a time anyway. The 8qt model is only available in the base line, so you have to make your choice between more buttons and more day-to-day functionality.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Honestly, braised pork ribs sound pretty good to me. Pressure cookers don't boil until you release pressure, except for old school jiggle top cookers which lose more steam - there's a little agitation inside the chamber in those ones.

e: but yeah you definitely have to cover the ribs to braise them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Also my steamed pork buns!

Pressure cookers don't technically boil, but only because the pressure makes the boiling point so much higher. It's still gonna be submerged in water and over 212°, which sounds like a good recipe to make the flavor go into the water and out of the meat.

When you say braise = completely cover with water, is that just for the pressure cooker? Can I ask why? It's not the case for a normal braise.

Well, I'm assuming that nobody would be foolish enough to cook meat in water. As far as cooking it in the pressure cooker, I've tried both uncovered and fully submerged with about the same sauce (not pork ribs, but other meat) and it turned out dry and weird when it wasn't fully covered. I really don't know why, to be honest. Other places on the internet say that you don't have to cover the meat, but it hasn't worked out well for me in the past so I'm hesitant to try again.

Hip Pressure Cooking made this video, which I haven't watched yet because I'm at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UehZMxSs0

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Kenji has a pretty great gyro recipe that I've made several times. It's basically the same thing as shawarma. I can't post a link because I'm phone posting, but basically you salt ground meat overnight, puree it, form it into a freestanding loaf, and bake it. Let cool, slice pieces off, and crisp up in a pan. The texture is just right.

I'm not attacking you, but what did you make in the pressure cooker? I can't imagine anything I'd call shawarma coming out of one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Gyro isn't shwarma, get outta here.

The texture is basically the same though, right?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've had all three (or at least food that was sold as all three) and they seemed like they were basically the same thing but with different flavorings :shrug:

If there's some fundamental difference between doner kebab, shawarma, and gyro, I'd love to know what it is.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Don't forget to use the celery leaves, too. Sometimes I put mine in salad, other times it goes into the mirepoix, other times it goes into the soup after the liquid is added.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

eonwe posted:

Are there actually any decent sites for recipes for this? Most of what I find are articles filled with ads, paragraphs of how their family loves it, and gigantic pictures.

I think you might want a cookbook.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Grem posted:

Gonna use my instantpot for the first time to make my meals for next week. What's simple, doesn't use fish (office policy, kinda), and has like a 0% failure rate?

this is all of those things and more

One tip: bring some nice bread to serve with it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Malek posted:

Okay so... this brings up a good point. This looks delicious but don't these dishes require 3 cups of water usually or something?

Usually, but that's the key to this dish's flavor. The article explains this, but basically there's enough moisture in the ingredients that they cook in their own juices, and there's so little steam lost to evaporation in a pressure cooker that there's plenty in the end. The starch from the broken down potato edges gives it a thick, stewy texture (but not too thick). Super delicious to sop up with bread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Booyah- posted:

I don't have any of these, are there particular ones I should get in case the cheapest are bad quality?

Go to thrift stores and buy some. They're less than a dollar apiece, and you can stock up on a bunch of different sizes. They're useful for prep in general - mirepoix in one bowl, meat in another, potatoes in another, squash in another. Also good for things like mixing batter or dough, fermenting yeast dough, defrosting things quickly (cold running tap water, frozen thing in ziploc in bowl), all sorts of stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Snowy posted:

Is this the one that stirs and does sous vide or am I confusing everything? I might be needing another instant pot, should I wait? And what's the name of this magical new pot, anyone know?

It doesn't exactly stir, but it can release small, controlled bursts of steam, which agitates the ingredients just as much as suddenly boiling them would, because you're suddenly boiling them. The Instant Pot Max is what it's called, price will be $180-200 IIRC, and I want one when they come out this summer.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

As a general rule, I stay away from Indian food recipes that call for curry powder. Whole or freshly ground spices only, and if it's written in broken English that's a good sign. Murgh makhani doesn't generally need a pressure cooker since the chicken usually goes in cooked, but I've gotten lazy and just cut up my marinated chicken, briefly cooked it on the stove, and put the chicken in to simmer before, adding water as necessary to keep it from drying out. Here's an upgrade from that recipe, and it isn't too fussy - http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/

That's a dish that I don't make often, though. I'd rather cut up some veggies and make a sabji or something. Lauki al yakhni is dinner tonight, and I can't wait.

I'm a huge fan of bottle gourd. Lauki, opo, doodhi, calabash. Here's a good pressure cooker recipe. You can use Punjabi wadiyan instead of soya, but I usually have soya wadi on hand so that's what I tend to use. http://www.indiankhana.net/2011/03/lauki-soya-sabji-bottlegourd-and-soya.html?m=1

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Regarding kidney beans and pressure cookers, do you still have to soak them before cooking to get rid of the bad?

Yes, the toxin doesn't cook out. You can speed soak by getting water steaming but not boiling, dumping in your beans, and waiting 90 minutes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

ulmont posted:

You have a source - all I saw said pressure cooking from dry was fine?

I take it back, the FDA claims that 10 minutes at 100C is enough to denature phytohaemagglutinin. Basically, it's not a concern unless you're using a slow cooker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

bengy81 posted:

My biggest hurdle has been figuring out how much water to use in recipes.
I made apple butter a few weeks back and ended up with apple soup, despite using qlmost no water, and I still haven't been able to get a green chili with any body to it. Still an awesome piece of kitchen gear.

One thing that might help is to go all the way to no added liquid at all. Kenji has a fantastic chicken stew with no liquid added at all, and the consistency is perfect every time. Try that recipe to get some confidence.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you done this in the instant pot? From what I understand it needs to have a minimum of a cup of liquid or it won't work. It should be fine on a stove top pressure cooker.

No, but a few people in the comments are reporting success.

Luchadeer2:34 AM on 10/5/2017recipe rating:This is a neat, simple, homey stew. Made this in a 6qt instant pot, with 3/4 ingredients because it wouldn’t all fit otherwise. I’m fairly new to the pressure cooking game. Scorching and overfilling were not an issue despite the instant pot manual warnings. Definitely have salt and pepper and maybe a favored hot sauce at the table, as it’s fairly bland. A good crusty bread and maybe a salad would also be good to accompany this stew. The strength of this dish is its cheap ingredients, dead simple preparation and hearty results. This’ll be fun to mess with next time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That makes me curious. I've been told that you need at least 2 cups of liquid in the Instant Pot to maintain pressure, but I found a recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid. If Kenji's stew works, then it doesn't need liquid as long as there's enough stuff in it, right?

The ingredients produce the liquid in the recipe I linked.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

It takes ten dozen gallons of water to produce one gallon of steam. That's why pressure cookers are so important, they preserve the planet's steam reserves.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Is there any reason a stovetop jiggletop pressure cooker wouldn't work with the same exact recipes that an Instant Pot works with? The IP just has a pressure sensor, right? Like, if my 15PSI stovetop Presto wouldn't come to pressure, the IP won't, and if mine will, wouldn't the Instant Pot?

Am I being dumb? Is there some computerized wizardry happening?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Any Instant Pot recipe should work in a stovetop pressure cooker, with a few notes:
1) As long as the IP recipe uses manual mode, and not one of the fancy auto-settings. Even then you could probably make it work, those auto-settings don’t work all that great in my experience.
2) Stovetop pressure cookers get to a slightly higher pressure than electric ones, so you might need to reduce the cooking time (I think up to ~20%? YMMV)
3) Some of the trickier recipes may rely on how the IP gets up to temperature- I’m thinking particularly of the ones that rely on cooking enough moisture out of some vegetables instead of added water. I’m sure you could recreate this with some trial and error though.

The other way is what I'm more curious about. People keep asking if a stovetop recipe works in an IP. Why wouldn't it? The pressure difference just means that you need to add a little bit of extra cook time. Some recipes, like those that rely on the pH of the ingredients (caramelized carrot soup for instance) might need a more basic pH, but you can still get there. Those are edge cases, anyway. Why would a recipe without added liquid work in a stovetop model but not an electronic one?

As far as I'm aware, an instant pot comes to pressure the same way as any other pressure cooker: apply heat, make steam, trap steam. What do you mean exactly?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 14, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chana masala is a great place to start, and benefits from a pressure cooker in a big way (other dishes like gobi matar don't really, since the cook time is only 30 minutes anyway). Cook the chana with some tea in the water, it'll make them taste better, look better, and gives them a great texture that's creamy all the way through.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

poverty goat posted:

The Instant Pot Authorized indian cookbook I got for christmas says you get more paneer out of it if you PC, but I'm skeptical. I was surprised they didn't just tell you to boil the milk in yogurt mode and do it the normal way

you absolutely don't need pressure for paneer, and it doesn't help at all. properly made paneer curdles all of the solids out of the whey anyway, or at least a significant enough portion that the remainder is just a slightly yellow liquid.

dino. posted:

Hi angerbot! :D

Huh. Looks like English kedgeree is literally nothing like its originator kichidi. Like, nothing at all. Wow.

yeah I dunno what's going on with kedgeree. just make khichdi instead, it's better. and it's a great side for main courses like gobi matar! in fact, khichdi completes just about any main dish, as long as you serve it with achar and maybe kachumber

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 6, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

other excellent indian food websites

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

https://bhavnaskitchen.com/

http://showmethecurry.com/

https://www.vahrehvah.com/ (this one is almost like indian allrecipes, tons of content but not 100% reliable. That said, no single website is 100% reliable, except maybe Manjula)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

TheCog posted:

I've had a similar issue quick releasing lentils and having them become pure mush

This is a very convenient time saver for making dal. Just add a tarka and rice and you've got most of a meal. Achar and/or kachumber and you're there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spicy takeout-style vindaloo recipe?

I've never had the sort of Indian food that I think you're thinking of in my life, but I think this is what you're looking for: https://wearenotfoodies.com/the-secret-to-making-restaurant-style-curry-at-home/

edit: sorry, that's the wrong link and honestly I have no idea where my takeout style recipe cheat sheet link went. I swear to god I thought it was right there

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 16, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Definitely make beans with broth. I started using garlic better than bouillon for making my beans and I won't look back, adds a good amount of flavor and salt that gets soaked up while they cook.

Good beans have enough flavor that the resulting broth, made of nothing more than beans, salt, and maybe a bay leaf or some Mexican oregano, is a great ingredient by itself. Onions very optional. I will always advocate for bougie beans.

For supermarket beans, I agree with you. You need to add flavor to those things.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I stand corrected. Whoever suggested Ranco Gordo beans earlier, I want to thank you.. I'm hooked on them. I took to making a pot every week on the stove. No more pressure cooking but it's part of a nice ritual to soak and wake up early to get a pot started

You are very welcome. You can even cook them from dried in a reasonable amount of time (2 hours or so), and if you sprout them they cook in literally 20 minutes.

What kinds did you get? I'm a fan of Rio Zape and Royal Corona in particular. Yellow Indian Woman are really tasty too.

Did you happen to get oregano indio or other herbs as well? I like to throw in a bottle with my orders. It's tasty stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Carillon posted:

Yeah I've never had success with 25-30 minutes, even when I tried those fancy rancho gordo beans straight from them being shipped, to get them creamy I needed closer to 45.

Idk, I've cooked some rancho Gordo beans from dry on the stovetop in 45 minutes and they were almost falling apart.

Worth remembering is that you should actually cook them a little softer than you think. They firm up in the fridge.