Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i love some wet poo poo in a cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just avoid aluminum pressure cookers, poo poo sucks to clean.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i want to make this SE miso risotto recipe soon:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

what can i sub for the sake? no alcohol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i mean the recipe has 4c of stock in it already so the sake is just for deglazing and a bit of flavor different from the stock

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've got a chuck roast and a new instant pot, and i want pot roast. throw me your best recipe!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got beans what's a good recipe for some stew?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
God drat I gotta admit the rancho gordo beans are expensive (compared to bulk beans) but completely worth the premium price.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you still use oil or do you switch to broth?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
always keep peas in the freezer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah that one rules

i really cant stand eating chicken legs in a stew (i know you can use whatever cuts you want). i only want to use a spoon to eat soup.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Trastion posted:

gently caress serious eats. Why does that photo have a basil leaf in the soup bowl still? You don't serve anything in the bowl that you can't/wouldn't eat.

lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and it's worth remembering to always let it depressurize on its own when you do stock, it helps the clarity immensely

i did 90m last night and it was pretty jelly like this morning after it sat in the fridge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
grind the bones?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

huh, how about that

i remember reading part of that article when it came out and quit because it looked like it was gonna be too much work :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you talking about thin, deli ham for a sandwich? dont try that.

if you want to add ham chunks to beans, the ham should be added only late enough to warm it through. it's already cooked, dont cook it twice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah most likely. even if you added it at the end to warm it through it doesnt sound very appealing tbh.

maybe use some of it in omlettes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

horchata posted:

Do you usually parboil bones and remove the scum before placing them in the pressure cooker for stock?

i only bother with this when the stock has uncooked chicken going in it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i know its hard to make this stuff look good a lot of the time but that food just looks so wet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angerbeet posted:

To be fair, it's a wet cooking method. It's not like toast, or porridge, or a pear.

*uses instant pot to grill hotdogs*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm not sure a pressure cooker is going to save you any time on chicken noodle soup other than making really good stock really quickly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

couldcareless posted:

Stock is cooked bones, broth is raw bones :science:

you mean BONE BROTH

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
20-25 min should be long enough for most normal sized, unsoaked beans.

maybe the beans you have are old and very dry? that can definitely make them take extra long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so that butter chicken recipe...if i were to use chicken breasts, would the 10min cook time be too long? the recipe states the same cooking time for either thigh or breast.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
need a good shortrib recipe to be served with polenta

my only asks are no wine and not looking for a sweet sauce

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is so disturbing and bad that I fear YouTube is going to start pushing Jordan Peterson videos at me after having watched it. No seasoning, and why are you basically boiling ground beef when there's a sear function right there? Come on!

call mulder while i check out that grey alien mass that she cooked up

droll posted:

Should chicken skin be removed from legs and thighs before going into a pressure cooker?

depends on if you like the skin when it's not crispy. sometimes i'm not wild about it but other times its ok.

you can sear the chicken for a bit to render out the fat first, which can help with that flabby skin experience

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ there's so many disgusting videos of people making IP pot roast on YouTube

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lookin for a good beef pho recipe and a good chicken pho recipe too

lot of people complaining in the comments about kenji's PC chicken pho

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://twosleevers.com/faqs-all-your-butter-chicken-questions-answered/

11. Can I make this tofu/paneer/chickpeas/other vegetables?
a) Tofu: Add 1/4 c water to the sauce while pressure cooking. Add tofu after the sauce is cooked.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
use water, hth

put rice in a bowl, add water, rub with hands, and then drain off rinse water and add fresh water

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you dont need a strainer at all, just swish it around in a bowl and drain off as much water as you can

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can presoak them if you want but you dont have to, they'll take a bit longer under pressure to cook if you dont soak.

so for that recipe, cook the beans however you want and then drain, then make the chili recipe exactly the way you would with canned beans.

https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/#tab-id-3

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
post the recipe

sounds like insufficient water

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
twosleevers is another one that seems good for Indian food, I like their butter chicken recipe:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...instant-pot/amp

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the corn recipe loving owns but i dunno how good it would be without fresh corn. i should try it with frozen and see how it turns out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I was wanting to make a chili tomorrow with dried beans and chuck roast but I'm having trouble workshopping the timing on that because the beans take fantastically longer than the chuck roast and I'm not sure at what point I should stop cooking beans and drop in the seared beef and restart cooking, especially with the super long natural release. I technically have the necessary time to do it on the stove, but this seems lazier.

just make it in two steps, beans first and put them aside while you cook the meat. add them back in after the meat is done and let them simmer a little bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the corn risotto recipe on SE is great too

https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-corn-risotto

because you get to make these with the leftovers:

https://www.seriouseats.com/elote-corn-risotto-pancake-riselotes-recipe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
also you dont need an instant pot to steam anything, just use a normal chinese bamboo steam basket on a wok or any pot that it fits on top of

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
An hour or two at pressure will make great stock

However, you should let it depressurize naturally instead of using the vent, it will make skimming the fat easier

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe? But at least you can choose how much you want to skim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
try soaking them first, draining that water and adding fresh water. then only pressure cook for 8-10 min.

what kind of beans? some will take more or less depending on size and how old they are