Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

oxyrosis posted:

I made my own burrito bowl in 1.5hrs start to finish from dry beans. No soak required.

Not visible, stewed tomato for intense tomato flavor and Brown rice with a lemon twist.

Cost maaaaaaaaaybe 3bux a bowl (which were larger than Chipotlé portions by far).

Edit: grammar.

Looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

It doesn't seem to say but I bet this is an old school pressure cooker and not an Instant Pot or anything modern.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Made 3 types of Fruit Compote (Blackberry/Raspberry, Apple & Peach) tonight and am in the middle of making Greek Yogurt right now. Makes for great breakfasts throughout the week. Just layer some compote and Yogurt in a mason jar and top with some granola. Yum.

Going to make some Beef Bolognese tomorrow night for lunches too.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Here are some images from my weekend cooking.

Beef Bolognese - Is a little salty, next time I will cut the added salt a bit.

Greek Yogurt - Came out pretty thick and with a great tartness.

Peach Compote - Tastes great - Not sure what spices to add to it next time to enhance flavor a bit.

Apple Compote - Nice and chunky - Apples take 5 or more minutes to cook compared to 1 minute of the others. After 1 minute they were still very firm.

Apple parfait - Greek Yogurt, Apple Compote & Granola

Blackberry & Red Raspberry Parfait. Edit - I ate this one for breakfast this morning and OMG was it good.

Peach Parfait

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 22, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

harmless_fun posted:

Any recipes for the compotes? I'm thinking about apple and ginger and I have some cherries I need to use up.

I leave out salt most of the time pressure cooking especially if other ingredients already have salt in them. Pressure cooking seems to dial up the saltiness.

I used this one, her site has some good recipes, for one a few weeks ago and basically did the same thing again. https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-fresh-berry-compote/

Basically a couple pounds of fruit, 1/4c or so of sugar and let it sit for 20 minutes to break down. Then seal up and cook under pressure for 1 minute. Apples and harder fruit will take around 5 minutes. Add whatever other spices you want before cooking of course. I put Cinnamon and Nutmeg in my apple compote and it is great.

I found that you don't really need to add the lemon/orange juice. Each batch has been pretty juicy after, even too much so. I added it to the raspberry and blackberry one because they didn't get very juicy after sitting for 20 minutes but in the end I don't think I needed it and will not so it next time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

large hands posted:

made this bad boy in my instant pot

Looks nice, recipe?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Niemat posted:

Is there a good website or cookbook people would recommend for cooking with Instant Pots? I just got one, and I'd love to know how to use it to its full potential

I have done a few from This Old Gal. Her site is atrocious but the recipes have been good. I use her Greek Yogurt recipe a lot.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there are pressure cookers that are stainless. not everything is an isntapot

My Instapot has a stainless pot, don't they all?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MeKeV posted:

I cant decide whether the nonslip base on these mixing bowls that I've had for years will hold up inside my pressure cooker? https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls-Black/dp/B0098OJN2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Doesnt mention oven temps, but are dishwasher safe. Says it's silicone in the description, but no idea on the glue holding it together either.

Whats the worst that could happen?...

Run a test with no actual food in there. Put the bowl in with some water and then pressure cook it for an hour and see what happens.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Qu Appelle posted:

I just got an Instant Pot Mini.

My apartment's cabinets are cheap, and I'm afraid that the steam from the pressure release will damage them. They live above the counter, where the Instant Pot lives. I also have a very small counter, as it's a very small apartment.

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters? Alternatively, can I just use NPR for nearly everything I cook, or will that turn some things into mush? I've heard conflicting reports about putting a washcloth over the valve when releasing the pressure. (I always let it sit for a few minutes before I release it with the valve anyways.)

When I use the quick release I always put a folded up kitchen towel over the top. It keeps the steam and water from going everywhere. It won't stop all the steam but it absorbs most of it. I don't know what danger there would be in putting a towel over it unless you used a wet one and the water went down into the electronics but the little water from the steam will just get soaked up by most any towel.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I just throw a dry towel over the vent, works perfect.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made some Beef Shawarma last night but had to settle for a premade marinade pack because Meijer was out of Cardamom from all 3 different spice companies on the shelf. I can only image someone cleaned them all out at once too as everything else was stocked pretty well. It was pretty good but I ended up shredding the meat but next time I will be cutting it up into smaller chunks more like I get at the Mediterranean restaurants. Might also try to find some Lamb instead of beef if I can.

Also gonna try to make some little pita breads and garlic sauce for the whole authentic meals.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Yeah that is what it is. Yeah it isn't authentic but it tasted good... And I made it in my Instant pot so this was the correct thread for it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Kenji has a pretty great gyro recipe that I've made several times. It's basically the same thing as shawarma. I can't post a link because I'm phone posting, but basically you salt ground meat overnight, puree it, form it into a freestanding loaf, and bake it. Let cool, slice pieces off, and crisp up in a pan. The texture is just right.

I'm not attacking you, but what did you make in the pressure cooker? I can't imagine anything I'd call shawarma coming out of one.

I made a shredded beef that was flavored according to recipes when I searched for Beef Shawarma on the internet. Yeah I don't have a vertical spit in my house and I know it wasn't the real thing. I made something that had the flavors and was as close to it that I could do at home. It was good and I will make it again but slightly different next time as I didn't want the shredded texture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=instant+pot+beef+shawarma

I don't see what the confusion is here. It's like the guy that said he is making a pot roast. An instant pot doesn't ROAST the meat but no one seems to wonder what he is making.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I keep making chicken soup in the Instant Pot with the soup setting, but the celery is always falling apart soggy. How can I avoid this?

Put a little in for flavor and then add the majority of it in after and use the saute function, maybe?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Casull posted:

I deserve this, actually. :shobon:

I saw someone say that they did clams in a pressure cooker. That sounds like a pretty good idea; I'll have to give that a shot next time.

That person hasn't posted again because it wasn't such a good idea...

Just kidding, they didn't die. I think.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Timby posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook asking for tips on making popcorn in an Instant Pot. :stonk:

Technically you could do it. Not under pressure but throw some oil in the pot then turn it on Saute. Use a glass lid, or no lid if your brave. Would be like doing stove top popcorn without needing the actual stove. Could be good for people in dorms or whatever that don't have a stovetop but have an IP.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone done peppers, like Anaheim, Poblano, etc in the IP? I want to make Chili in the IP but I want to make a Texas style that I use like 10 different types of peppers. I also like most of the milder ones to be big 1-2" chunks. I had a mishap with some Snap Peas in the IP so want to make sure they will withstand the pressure.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I prefer the chunks of peppers and onions.

I ended up adding them after and sauteed it for a bit which I wanted to do anyways to reduce the sauce down anyways.

On top is a little Garlic Sauce from the middle eastern deli. It was great.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2018

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried Kenji's pressure cooker chili verde a while ago and didn't really like it. Not a lot of spices in the recipe. Isn't it just salt and cumin?

Every one of Kenji's recipes are just salt. That is the flavor profile he likes. I think some chef yelled at him one time for not using enough salt so now he uses 10x as much as needed in everything.

I really do not understand why people like the guy as none of his recipes are good at all. They are ok for a base idea as long as you alter them greatly to add flavor and reduce the salt.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Or you alter the recipes to not be salty. Which means they are not good recipes to begin with.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KyloWinter posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the recipes are alrady on her website https://twosleevers.com/

Thanks for that. Looks like a bunch of good recipes and some for the Air Fryer too...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made this Dae Ji Bulgogi recipe last night but with Beef Sirloin and it was great. I substituted Honey for the Splenda it calls for and I think next time I will increase the amount a little as I like it a little more sweet than it was.

If you make this make sure you do the part of finishing it in a searing hot pan to crisp the meat and reduce the sauce down. The sauce is still pretty runny/watery when it comes out of the IP. After reducing it made it nice and sticky on the meat.

Not the best picture but it was good. I tried to make Lettuce Wraps with it but I bought the wrong kind of Lettuce and it didn't work well. After eating one that way I switched to flour tortilla shells warmed over the open flame of the stove.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

AnonSpore posted:

Bulgogi is understood to be made with beef; the dae (sic) ji in dae ji bulgogi means pig. You coulda just said you made bulgogi. :eng101:

I didn't name it, that is the name they gave with the recipe and I substituted beef for the pork in the recipe.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a good IP Osso Buco recipe? It sounds good and I shouldn't have a hard time finding the veal shanks around here.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's how this derail started

That's not really a recipe as much as it is a beginning to one. I was hoping for something with what spices to use and what amounts. I've never made it before even conventionally so I need an entire recipe.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made some Pork Shoulder for pulled pork in my smoker this past weekend but due to time and my smoker running to low of a temp I had to put it into the IP for a bit. Came out great tho and it's awesome to know I can do that if I ever need to again.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm making some right now! After poking around on the internet, I've slimmed the recipe down to this:

1) Leave your milk out to get it closer to room temp, 1.0-1.5 hours works for me
2) Dump in IP, press yogurt bottom till it shows "BOIL"
3) chillax! I usually give it a single stir maybe 30-45 minutes in, but this is not really necessary. You want it to come to approximately 180°F
4) once the IP beeps that it's done, you can check with a thermometer, and if it isn't around 180 use the saute feature while CONSTANTLY stirring, to warm it up
5) take out the IP inner bowl and put it in the sink surrounded by cold water
6) stir that sucker, checking till the temp is down to approximate 110°F
7) once it hits 110, take it out of the sink, dry it off, put it back in the IP
8) put your starter yogurt in a bowl or something and temper it with a couple big spoonfuls of the heated milk, mix it up so it's mostly smooth
9) toss the starter-milk mixture in the IP, stir it up reeeeaaaal well
10) press the yogurt button till it displays a time, I usually set it for 8 hours, and you're good!

The longer it cultures in the IP the tangier it gets. After the see amount of time (I've seen anywhere from 8-14hr), open it up! Stain it to your desired thickness, I do a minimum of 2 hours for Greek yogurt consistency, and booyakasha you have yogurt!

I've been making parfaits with it lately, so good. A spoonful of damson plum jam, and a good helping of granola, and you have a perfect breakfast :bubblewoop:

this is pretty much the same thing I did when i was on a greek yogurt kick. I am pretty sure I posted some info and pics up thread a bit.

I made homemade fruit compote in the IP too that I then used to make my parfaits. So good but it is actually a lot of work and takes up a big chunk of refrigerator space while straining. I just used cheesecloth but if I decide to do it again I will buy one of those strainers made for it.

edit: Here is the post with my pictures in it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340&userid=39683#post472596061

edit #2: If you make it remember to save your own starter. Take a cup or so of your finished product and put it into a freezer ziploc or something and toss it in the freezer. Next time you want to make some just thaw that out and use it as your starter. Rinse and repeat. Some people use a large size Ice Cube tray to freeze the starter in cubes and then throw them in a ziploc.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 9, 2018

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone done Pepper Stout Beef in the IP? I usually just do it in the smoker and then in the oven but its too hot to turn the oven on. Was thinking I can smoke it then put it in the IP to finish. Probably have to use the saute function to reduce/thicken the sauce at the end.

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html in case you don't know the wonder that is Pepper Stout Beef.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok I decided to do the Pepper Stout Beef last night. Smoked it in the smoker for about 4 hours or so then put it into the IP with everything for 45 min. That might have been more time than needed but I had other things to do so figured too long is better than not long enough.

I did a quick release and then took the meat out and shredded it. I then strained the veggies and stuff out of the ju and let that boil a bit on the saute setting to thicken.

It came out great but I think not quite as good as the oven version. It just gets a little crispier in there.

Put it on a French bread sub bun with some mayo and prepared horseradish with a side of the ju to dip in.

Can't wait to get home from work so I can have this again for dinner tonight...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

AnonSpore posted:

Recently I've been bulk prepping soupy stuff that I can portion out, freeze, thaw individually and then just eat easily over rice, like gumbo/curry/tikka masala etc. Then I scooped an instant pot in the Target price error bruhaha a few days back and it occurred to me that the pressure cooker probably excels at that sort of thing. Any good recommendations for recipes like what I mentioned? I have a stovetop pressure cooker but honestly I've been less inclined to use it because babysitting the heat is such a pain on an electric stove so I'm pretty excited to be lazy.

I like a bunch of the recipes n http://twosleevers.com and a bunch are Keto too if that is your thing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Whats everyone best/favorite beef stew recipe? I have just winged it the last few times I have made it so I am curious what I might change to make it better if there is a common thing in peoples favorites.

I am going to make some for a potluck this week so what better time to experiment!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Death of Rats posted:

My partner is pescetarian, which has meant I basically can't cook any of the many, many delicious meat dishes that my pressure cooker is so great for.

Does anyone have any good fish/veggie dishes so I don't feel like it's just taking up cupboard space for no reason?

:sever:

There are plenty of non-Pescetarian, Vegetarian or Vegan people out there. Life is too short to not eat good food.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone used their Instant Pot to make pressure cooker Fried Chicken? I know a lot of fried chicken places use pressure cookers but wasn't sure if they are special ones or if you can just use the IP?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok that's why i asked. Someone was talking about fried chicken and pressure frying it. I figured it wasn't that easy or I would be seeing a lot of people talking about it because who doesn't like a good fried chicken?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Random Hero posted:

I made the Serious Eats pressure cooker mushroom risotto last night, and it was incredibly delicious and easy:

The only change I made was using 5 cups of broth instead of the 4 that the recipe calls for. A couple comments mentioned this and said that 4 cups leads to a more al dente texture while 5 was creamier and I prefer that for my risotto.

Looks good, what's the meat? It looks good too.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

The Bunk posted:

I liked this stew more than the Colombian.

gently caress serious eats. Why does that photo have a basil leaf in the soup bowl still? You don't serve anything in the bowl that you can't/wouldn't eat.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Phanatic posted:

Has anyone done the pepper stout beef recipe in the pressure cooker?

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2848-Pepper-Stout-Beef

I'm tapped to bring something for a work retirement lunch so I was going to do this, but I definitely don't have time to smoke it. If you've pressure-cooked this, how much liquid did you add? Also, I have liquid smoke but I've never used it, how much would you use (if any)?

I did, kind of. I smoked some but then when it came to the oven point in the recipe I used the IP to finish because I was behind on time and needed to leave for the place I was taking it to. I basically just made it exactly as it said but put it into the IP instead and then at the end I used a strainer scoop to get most of the meat and veggies out. Then I hit the saute function to reduce the juices/beer down by about half and added back to the meat and veggies. I want to say i did 45 min under high pressure but cant remember exactly.

You won't get the little crispiness that you get from the last half hour in the oven but you could put the meat and veggies on a sheet pan under the broiler while doing the saute step at the end.

I didn't use liquid smoke since I smoked it in the smoker first anyways but be careful and only use a few drops. it can be potent stuff and can ruin a meal pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Skyarb posted:

Alright I am a brand new owner of an intantpot ultra 6Qt.

What are some beginner friendly never fail recipes you guys recomend?

I like everything I have tried from http://www.twosleevers.com so far. Bonus is she has a Keto section since I am doing that too but I used her site before I started Keto and everything has been good.

Otherwise its going to depend on what kind of food you like. Anything that you can do in a crockpot can be done in minutes. Same with things like Chili and stuff that you make on the stove all day.

I made a couple batches of chili recently and only used the IP to cook the meat I used and did everything else in a big pot while I chopped and seasoned each layer but I had time to do it and sometimes you just want to spend an hour preparing and cooking stuff.