Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Several times now I've heated up my pressure cooker on high until it reached pressure and had a huge thick layer of burnt crap on the bottom, ruining what I was making even when I had plenty of liquid in to start. Is the "heat on high until max pressure" thing not true for some recipes?

Yeah, probably best when you have a lot of liquid. Liquids distribute heat very well, solids don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Electric doesn't make any difference, it was most likely the packing. Keep it loose so thin liquids can travel around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You mentioned above that there was tightly packed meat at the bottom, which makes me think it was packed down with a spoon or something? If it was stirred and the meat settled to the bottom just by gravity, a bolognese should still be fine AFAIK

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 16, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Maybe if I brought it to a roiling boil before sealing?

Oh yeah you should probably do that with any pressure cooker recipe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

Why is that? I've never heard this before.

If you wait till the food is boiling before sealing it up, it gives you a chance to mix the food and distribute the heat up until the last moment possible. You're distributing heat all the way from room temp to boiling temp, and the food only has to go unmixed from boiling to pressure temps.

If you seal it up when the food is still cold, it means the food will go unmixed during the entire time it takes to go from room or refrigerator temps up to full pressure temps, and more opportunity for a heat difference to develop between parts of the food, especially if the food is something thick like a pasta sauce. If it's thin like stock I wouldn't worry, since water is a great heat distributor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00009A9XU

Hey jerks, the Kuhn Rikon 8qt is half price right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Go higher capacity.