Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Made this: https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/

Was good. Needed to get my browning game on better, took a long time to do 3 lbs of beef in chunks. Gravy wasn't thick enough, so I made a quick roux with butter + flour and added it, did wonders and thickened up quickly to a good consistency. Flavors are good, bacon is probably overkill but hey whatever it's bacon so keep it. Mushrooms really help with substance, I liked the idea of cooking them in butter+garlic and adding during the reduction at the end rather than letting them get terribly mushy in the pressure cook. I think I used the wrong wine (pinot noir instead of burgundy/chianti/merlot/whatever else) but still tastes pretty good. My second IP cook, my buddy from work lent me his and told me to experiment and tell him "all the good poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

wormil posted:

Well it's innocuous. There are things I used to think just had to be done a certain way but over time realized it doesn't matter.

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
OK sheesh, some things I do prefer the salt cooked in more, like mashed potatoes or stuff like that. On most proteins I prefer a bit of sea salt right before I eat it and it gets a much more salty punch. MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE :argh:

Ignore my bit about sodium.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I frequently make chicken stock in my stovetop pressure cooker. How important is it to pre-cook any vegetables before cooking at pressure? I ask because someone once warned me of the more piquant raw onion or garlic aromas infiltrating the stock if they aren't cooked off beforehand. Is this a valid concern or a waste of time pre-cooking?

I made turkey stock this year and used raw onions/garlic and it was fine, just like last year, however I don't have a comparison of pre-roasting or anything so I can't comment on the relative flavor.