Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

In my personal experience you're looking at using Manual, Rice, and Saute. Everything else is extra buttons. :v:
As far as I can tell the the manual/porridge/multigrain buttons produce the same cup of steel cut oatmeal in the same time. The yogurt button is cool too though, if only because it will scald milk for you without scorching it or boiling over (you can also make the scalded milk into yogurt if you want)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I make yogurt now just because it's easy with the IP and I'm happy to throw away less little plastic cups but it's not a life-changing upgrade over storebought plain yogurt or anything

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

I hate "tart" or firm yogurt with an undying passion. I've had some super smooth creamy sweet yogurt at a little B&B in KY which I actually liked, but we were on such a short time crunch I didn't have time to ask the owner how it was made. I assume it involved a lot of sugar and could have otherwise passed as frozen yogurt/ice cream had it been frozen. It wasn't whipped cream.

Firmness and tartness are both directly related to time spent at temperature so you can dial this in, and homemade will generally be sweeter and less firm than storebought. But you can and should sweeten it to taste with honey/preserves and add fruit, nuts, cereal and stuff to make it awesome. You don't have to eat it plain just because there's no fruit on the bottom

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 28, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The IP has a yogurt mode which handles steps 1 and 4 (without using pressure at all)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I forgot some vital info. If you're going to make yogurt in an instant pot, remove the rubber ring first. It probably still smells a bit of chilli and that will flavor your yogurt just enough to make you think you're going crazy imagining it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is a smelly ring even a problem for anything except yogurt, which you can do without the ring in?

Yogurt update: My yogurt culture that I started from a tub of storebought yogurt kind of petered out after 3 rounds, so I bought some freeze dried bulgarian yogurt starter from amazon (which is cheaper per pack than a new tub of plain yogurt, it turns out) and the result is firmer but creamier and less sour with flavor more like a mild cheese than a mouthful of lactic acid

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

good deals on chicken skeletons & feet at the asian grocery store

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/0FBKuqA.mp4

this is the first time I wished I'd held out for the 8qt, but then again I made two pots of stock after dinner

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 13, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wormil posted:

Out of curiosity how long is everyone pressure cooking your chicken bones for stock? I've been doing 3 hours and have no complaints. Sometimes I roast the bones and sometimes not. The bones crumble between my fingers after. A previous roommate says she cracks the bones open to get at the marrow but I've never done that.

I just did 45 minutes, per serious eats. I weighed everything and found it to be a bit much to fit into 6 quarts, even cleavering the bones and really packing it in. This was all feet, spines and wings, and everything was mostly still holding together a bit at the joints at 45 mins so it definitely could have gone longer and yielded more gelatin.

In related news, it made a really good chilli tonight

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 15, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the beef in the kenji chili came out perfectly fall apart tender and juicy about as I'd expect from the normal kenji dutch oven beef stew. this actually makes me a bit skepical of his beef stew pressure cooker adaptation because it calls for you to bring it back up to pressure for an extra 15 mins and it seems like it'd turn my chili into bbq

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate that site so much. Why is every recipe preceded by a 10,000 word essay.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/recipe-filter/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=en

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

nwin posted:

I’ve done his pressure cooker beef stew, but I read the comments before hand. Too many people said that 15 minutes is too much and will turn the potatoes to mush. I’ve gone with 7 minutes both times I’ve made it and the potatoes and beef turn out great.

I tried this yesterday and the meat/vegetables still came out a bit overdone (the meat was tender and delicious but a minute or two away from disintegrating into bbq). I'm not sure the second round of pressure cooking is wise or even much of a time saver in the end on a recipe like this versus just bringing it back to a simmer for 20 minutes with an open top so you can keep an eye on things

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just made collard greens in the IP, adapting this. I reduced the stock by 1/3 and pressure cooked the hocks for an hour and a half with onions, garlic, and a serrano pepper. They weren't quite falling off the bone yet, so I left them in there as I added collards, diced country ham and some salt and pressure cooked for another 20. Best collards of my life and it didn't smell like collards till I released the steam (this makes them taste better, I think).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 29, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Did you use the amount of stock that the recipe calls for? There were a lot of comments on the recipe saying that it was too much liquid. I’m planning to make it tomorrow and add the optional masa harina, which will hopefully help with thickening the liquid.

I just used a quart, and masa, and I ate half of it on homemade tacos without making too much of a mess

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i keep going back and buying larger and larger quantities of misc animal parts

Going to take a stab at menudo rojo. Anyone tried it in the IP?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the best thing about homemade chicken stock isn't even the stock, it's all the schmaltz

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

More time does still seem to yield better stock in the IP. I'm back up to 3 hours now for chicken stock, and the pot I left going overnight which had several hours to naturally decompress and cool before I got back to it was a clear improvement above the rest in terms of flavor and gelatin

In other news, I've found my old enormous stovetop PC. I bought it in like 2004 to sterilize half gallon mason jars of grain to grow totally legal culinary mushrooms and had forgotten about it in my parents' garage, and I'm going to use it for chicken stock since 6qt is not enough. Any suggestions going from electric to stovetop? Do I need to worry about a lightly used rubber ring that's sat in a garage for a decade?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 31, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

So I was poking around my closest Asian supermarket and saw they have chicken feet for wicked cheap. Can you do chicken stock like, only out of chicken feet? Or do you want some other bits in there, too?

Generally you do want some meatier bits but I guess you could. My guess is it'd have little-no chicken flavor and lack a bit of richness, because there's no protein in the feet, but it'd be obcenely high in gelatin and probably still better than a lot of grocery store stock if you didn't skimp on the aromatics. Otherwise serious eats has an article about which parts to use. I do about 4:1 chicken backs and feet, but if I couldn't find backs I'd use thighs/wings on sale or start breaking down cheap chickens (freeze the breasts and maybe legs/thighs and stock the rest)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 1, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Death of Rats posted:

My partner is pescetarian, which has meant I basically can't cook any of the many, many delicious meat dishes that my pressure cooker is so great for.

Does anyone have any good fish/veggie dishes so I don't feel like it's just taking up cupboard space for no reason?

It'll make short work of dry beans and grains and you can usually skip straight to the end without soaking if you're in a hurry. You can also supposedly make paneer in it with slightly better returns than on the stovetop.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Trastion posted:

:sever:

There are plenty of non-Pescetarian, Vegetarian or Vegan people out there. Life is too short to not eat good food.

Americans have this misguided idea that an entree without meat has to be lacking, but it's not true, unless you literally just delete the meat from a western dish that's supposed to have meat in it and use storebought veggie stock in place of meat stock, in which case yeah it'll probably taste like you forgot the meat. Look to cuisines that aren't supposed to have any meat in them. India has the highest concentration of vegetarians in the world, and they have a million ways to make misc lentils, chickpeas paneer and every other bean/legume unapologetically delicious (also they traditionally use pressure cookers for this, though I haven't gotten there yet and can't recommend any recipes). Paneer brings more to the table than chicken cubes and is all around a world class protein cube/sauce vehicle (unlike certain bean curds).

Though if she's mostly just into sad imitation soy-meat Trastion is probably right.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kalista posted:

Has anyone in the thread made paneer with a pressure cooker? I'd like to try it this week, and have a stovetop pressure cooker instead of an instant pot, so it would be nice to get tips from someone who's tried it.

I'd also like to try it this week but I don't know if I will

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah you don't need the pressure function for paneer at all. Just need the milk to be boiling and a little lemon juice.

Suspect Bucket posted:

You don't need pressure for paneer, just generally accurate heating. In my experience making it, it's best to keep an eye on it while it curdles.

The Instant Pot Authorized indian cookbook I got for christmas says you get more paneer out of it if you PC, but I'm skeptical. I was surprised they didn't just tell you to boil the milk in yogurt mode and do it the normal way

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pot roast to me is mostly just beef stew with bigger chunks and a slightly different compliment of vegetables

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you think you'll ever make your own stock you might wish you had more quarts, but that's probably it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm a idiot fucker moron who has very little free time, so cooking and eating healthy is hard for me. I got a sous vide which makes cooking meat pretty easy but I find the prep kind of irritating and it's not really fast enough to use on nights where I only have a couple of hours of free time, plus I still have to put together the rest of the meals.

I got an instant pot or rather my brother is out buying it now(hopefully 6 qt is big enough), does anyone have any good recipes to start me off? preferably the kind where you can throw everything in at once and cook large batches for meal prep, such as beef stew and things like that?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I have some stewing beef and want to make a beef stew or similar, I have potatoes, celery, onions, parsnips, beef broth etc. My beef is in the fridge thawing but it's about 2 lbs and I'm sort of planning on just going by ear on this - I assume just dredge it in seasoned flour, brown it as usual, throw the rest in and cook for 40 minutes at pressure with a natural release? I did get a rather nice bottle of wine so I'll replace some of the liquid with that.

Oh also they had some OK cremini mushrooms at the grocery store and like, beautiful Oyster mushrooms at a place next door - I am not a huge mushroom fan in the first place but I also kind of assume mushrooms would get destroyed in the IP. Are they worth including for umami or should I just put in a slug of fish sauce?

Consult the Kenji/Serious Eats recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html

Adding the veggies in batches is the way to go if you don't want them to turn to mush. Though I'd recommend finishing the veggies at a simmer instead of returning to pressure

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

Seems doable but I'd need to get peas.

don't overthink it, just use what you've got. also, don't go too crazy on the parsnips in the first stage- I give it a couple inches off the fat end of a parsnip tops, and then add all the rest at the end, or the broth can get really overpoweringly parsnipy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

biggfoo posted:

have switched to doing all the searing/browning steps in a big pan on the range that can fit everything in one go, control the heat better and then just after the deglaze pour it into the IP.

:same:

the IP doesn't actually have enough juice to brown a few pounds of anything

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If it's bland it needs more salt. You might be surprised how much salt it needs since you're not adding any stock or anything that has salt in it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 12, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Bunk posted:

I liked this stew more than the Colombian.

dont be scared to experiment with the colombian stew either. my last batch got a couple cloves of garlic, frozen coconut, a cinnamon stick, the last of a bunch of cilantro and some tamarind extract, and was delicious

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, my 8-quart has no issues simmering liquids, and when I get it up to heat, I put it on the slow cooker function to just hold it there.
it can preheat to maybe medium-high but the IP's sustained saute output is more like a sad medium that will never brown your meat if you crowd it, so yes it's probably a lot faster if you want to reduce something to do it on high on the stove

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Bunk posted:

It's pretty easy and highly recommended if you Costco - they have USDA Prime briskets for $3.something / lb . I usually quarter it, use the flat pieces for corned beef, and smoke the the flat/point.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

I did this last year- bought a whole brisket, made the flat into corned beef for st patrick's day, and smauxed the point. The corned beef was good but nowhere near the kind of breakthrough you might expect for all the effort, so I just bought one at the store this year and cooked it on the stovetop for 3 hours as usual, but goddamn the point was some of the best brisket I've ever eaten and I should do it again sometime

None of this involves a PC, though, sadly

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I tried to cook a pound of chickpeas per some recipe and they turned into complete unusable mush, mostly just bits of chickpeas but the intact ones had no texture left either. I soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 10 minutes (some recipes recommend 20), and let them cool for 15 minutes before I popped the seal. The seal definitely wasn't ready to be popped, and boiled up and sprayed out of the tap. Did the flash boiling at the end just blast them apart, or did I gently caress up some other way?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Do you have a stovetop cooker, or an electric one? I'm assuming the former. In my presto with chickpeas I usually aim for ~8.5 minutes and natural release (their table says 7-10). Were they split chickpeas or whole? If even the whole ones had no texture they were probably over-cooked, I wouldn't imagine even a more gentle release helping it. Oh, and after the cooking time did you remove the cooker from the heat? It should be taken off the burner and placed on a cool one to get the cooking right.

Instant pot. They were definitely whole chickpeas, but store brand from food lion. Is it possible they were parcooked or something? Is that a thing? I know that fast pressure release can cause weirdness- theres a split pea soup recipe somewhere that actually prescribes quick-release right away after cooking to effectively puree them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Found the split pea recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/30-minute-pressure-cooker-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

quote:

Rapidly releasing the pressure causes the contents of the pressure cooker to vigorously boil, turning the soup creamy with no need for a blender.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Its worth it to do chicken stock for longer in the IP. I've done 1 hour, 2, 3, and 3 followed by cooling overnight and each step up yields richer stock with substantially more gelatin. The 3 hour batch that cooled overnight was firmer than jello when it set (I use backs, feet and sometimes wings, so lots of gelatin).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 8, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

You dont need to boil the milk if you buy UHT long life stuff, and it tastes just as good.

I just finished a batch spawned from a cold carton of UHT organic milk without boiling and it's WEIRD. It was only in there for 8 hours, starting cold, but it really went hog wild and it's VERY tart/unsweet, and the flavor is distinct from the kind of tartness you get after 24+ hours. It's pretty thin, yet didn't yield much whey when strained and is still pretty thin after 4 hours hanging wrapped in a tea towel. And it's fizzy. Still smells like food though, it's probably fine

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I tend to leave mine on for longer, usually between 12 and 24 hours and it starts from room temp but I still get lots of whey and I strain it for 3-4 hours so it thickens into Greek style. The fizzy thing worries me. That's never happened to mine.

Yeah, pretty much. I keep my milk in the pantry, so it's starting at room temp though.

It actually smells vaguely yeasty, not particularly lactic. It doesn't smell like bad fermentation at all, but it also doesn't smell like yogurt.

and that probably explains it, since I have a sourdough starter

e: I ate some. it's kind of bizarre, but the part that thickened well and has the consistency of greek yogurt just tastes like yeasty yogurt. it's still a bit sweet and captures the flavor of a fresh yeast roll better than a yeasty beer. the runnier portion is much more tart and unpleasant in a runaway sourdough kind of way

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have an old Mirro 12qt stovetop PC but its gasket is stretched out and hard to get to seal anymore, and they don't exist anymore. The third party company that used to make new gaskets for them stopped making them and all of those gaskets are gone; I bought one on ebay, the only place it was supposedly in stock, and what they sent me was totally wrong. Any suggestions? Am I just out a pressure cooker?

... and any recommendations for a new 12-16qt stovetop PC that will work on induction? I mostly use it for chicken stock; once or twice a year I make two full pots of stock, most of which gets boiled down to 1/3 and frozen into knockoff demiglace cubes that i throw into savory things or just use as demi-glace all year. And right now I'm down to like 8 cubes with no resolution to the gasket situation :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got a new pressure cooker for xmas

:getin:

santa brought it a day early so i could fill it w/ collards and it did a good job