Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I just got an Instant Pot Mini.

My apartment's cabinets are cheap, and I'm afraid that the steam from the pressure release will damage them. They live above the counter, where the Instant Pot lives. I also have a very small counter, as it's a very small apartment.

Is there any way to direct the steam away from the counters? Alternatively, can I just use NPR for nearly everything I cook, or will that turn some things into mush? I've heard conflicting reports about putting a washcloth over the valve when releasing the pressure. (I always let it sit for a few minutes before I release it with the valve anyways.)

Little late but I did read of people using PVC pipe elbow to fit over the steam release valve and redirect the steam. I'm actually looking into doing this myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Got an Instant Pot a while back, and just never got around to really using it much. I made clams in white wine broth last night though for Xmas Eve dinner and my god, they were the best clams ever. They all opened and perfectly cooked.

Color me impressed, and I will be using it a lot more from now on. I'm making mashed potatoes in it today, so those should be good too, hopefully :) I can't wait to see how hambone and split pea soup is in that thing...its a tradition for us to make that over New Years.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

How long did you cook the clams? That's a great loving idea :pervert:

I have the instant pot 8qt...I threw in a mess of minced garlic, .5-1 cup white wine, a bottle of clam juice, 2 cups chicken broth, bay leaf and other herbs, and put a steamer basket in, the clams were out of the liquid. I did 4# of the small manila steamer clams (I actually could have put more in I think. Probably another pound or two) for 4 minutes on manual high pressure, making sure to turn vent to seal...then when it was finished I did a quick release. Not all at once, I did a gradual so moved the vent to QR slightly with a towel and let it hiss, then moved it a bit more, until it was totally done. I was trying to avoid the splatter etc that some people say happens with QR.Took the clams out and ladled the broth over the bowls. All ready to serve with crusty bread...so so good.

I am still shocked...every single one of the suckers opened. My husband is not a big seafood person... he likes fish but not shellfish so much. He went back for seconds on these :)

Next, I am going to have to try doing some shrimp/etc in there as well and see how that goes. If anything like the clams? I'm gonna be thrilled....

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2017

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Made a really good chicken korma in the instant pot last night....turned out pretty amazing :) My husband loved it and said to make it again...Not bad for my first try making Indian! https://twosleevers.com/not-yo-mamas-pressure-cooker-chicken-korma/

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Ive seen some things about using mixing bowls inside of an instant pot, and thought it might be a good idea for easier clean up. Is this a good idea? Do I need to adjust cooking times?

I did this the other day and it was fine...I didn't need to adjust anything. I just covered the bowls to keep the steam from dripping in, and placed water in the bottom of the insert bowl, and then a trivet, and then the two metal mixing bowls. I made brown rice and teriyaki chicken.

I left the both btw covered in foil in the IP for about 3 hours since my husband was running late from work (friday emergency calls suck not to mention commutes grrrr) and they stayed perfectly done and not overcooked.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Trastion posted:

That person hasn't posted again because it wasn't such a good idea...

Just kidding, they didn't die. I think.

Nope, i didn't die and I did it again several times since then :P

and they were delicious each and every meal :)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress yes

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.

I need to try this... thank you :) Have to do it next week but...yeah...its on the menu :)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Croatoan posted:

It looks super dense. Let us know if it was the yeast. I'm interested because my wife wants a proving drawer and this could be an easy fix.

I haven't tried it, but I know a bunch of people who use the IP on yogurt setting as a proofing box for dough to rise.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sehkmet posted:

You can, yeah. I used sugar entirely (1/4 cup) but the recipe suggests doing a half/half combination; they used something called Swerve as their sweetener. Also the crust was just almond meal and butter, although I might try a nut crust next time.

I'd use Pyure over Swerve... Swerve tastes better when it's powdered. It tends to have a "crunchy" texture unless you do that. Pyure has a better texture and flavor, I found, and doesn't give you that crunchy minty cooling sensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I made 3 batches of tomato soup to freeze for winter. I left out the cream to add when we reheat it since I figured it wouldn't freeze well that way. Have to say it came out lovely... I don't think I will go back to canned again! Definitely needed to strain it thru a fine mesh tho.. but its fantastic.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-tomato-soup/?utm_source=fbG&utm_medium=lk