Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ignore the haters, please post your pressure cooker chili video here and the chili thread. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do you have 2 slotted spoons?

edit: woah pineapple in chili why didn't I thin of that? This is a revelation.

Why do you suggest removing the 4 jalapeno peppers to reduce heat instead of the twice as hot serranos?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Neon Noodle posted:

So...anyone make ramen broth in their Instant Pot? How did it go?

I was planning on trying a tonkotsu broth tonight, and then Kenji reckons it will be a clear broth because the pressure cooker won't create a rolling boil. I'm still going to try it because I don't really give a gently caress about authenticity so long as it tastes good. I'll update the thread later if I end up trying it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
OK I am making the pork feet + chicken carcass ramen broth in the instant pot right now. Loosely followed Kenji's traditional recipe without the pre-boil and obviously I'm not doing the 12 hour stove-top rolling boil.

large hands posted:

pressure cooker is great for stock. I've made plenty of Hong Kong superior stock in mine over the years.

just made a simple pork and chicken ramen broth in my instant pot a while ago and it was great, cooked it at pressure for about 45 minutes iirc

Was it the traditional cloudy broth, or clear like Kenji says?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah on Prime Day they were selling the 8 quart cheaper than the 6.

So Pork ramen broth: Came out deep brown, semi-clear. It was like a 'good' beef Consommé. Not what you want when making tonkotsu but it tasted good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cooking fatty ground meats for so long that they render out and begin to fry in their own fat is a masterstroke that I learned from a GWS post by a guy that made a variation on Mario Batalli's ragu. It adds so much depth and rich flavor that I do it all the time. I even do it with things like laab now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Isn't Mongolian beef a wok dish? What is the benefit of pressure when it could be a quick high eat cook that is faster than a pressure cooker?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just don't be like my housemate when he makes 'broth':

That's more of his 'broth' in the main compartment on the right of the photo, too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It was more like water with some vegetable in it. Dude went the complete opposite of reduction.

Note the leaking of the 'broth' onto the shelves and main compartment.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

wormil posted:

That, and I didn't get a pressure cooker for taco meat.

There are people in this thread discussing recipes and methods for pressure cooked ragu alla bolognese though, which aligns with what fo3 is saying.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Hackers will use it to bypass security settings and turn your instant pot into a bomb.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Also instead of putting the meat on a sheet and drying it out, you can pan fry it in fat (pork fat!). Moist but also crisp on one side is my preferred style.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What was the skin and fat like? Texture wise

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So that's key I feel to pressure cooking pork belly. There cannot be skin on it otherwise it's gonna be gross texture. If the belly I had still had skin, it would be a slow braise in the oven followed by high heat to crisp it up.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh man I don't know why yours didn't turn out well. I loosely follow Gordon Ramsay's recipe and that poo poo was amazing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Consider using your ovens Broil feature (if it has it, direct heat only from the top element) to crisp up pork crackling too. It's way better than cranking the entire oven, more direct.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I feel like this thread won't have as many smoker experts as the smoked meats or bbq threads. I have a pressure cooker but never a smoker. Good luck though and now I'm interested if these multi function smokers are decent?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought shawarma was meat cooked on a spit which is then shaved off for serving. A pressure cooker doesn't fit in with my idea of it at all. Did you post to the right thread?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In Australia they call greek gyro 'souvlaki' even though it's not traditional real souvlaki. shawerma is called kebab. they're all layers of meat pushed real close together on a spit. It's just a difference of flavoring and what goes in the wrap. But yeh they're the same texture/idea.

And ze Germans call it Doner Kebab because reasons.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fo3 posted:

They cooked meat and put it into a pita or wrap. Job done, similar meal. It's not like we should look up to the quality of meat on a spit they use for shawarma, doner or yiros.

Yeah nah, shawerma/gyro/doner should be nice browned roasted meat, not pressure cooked pot roast. End of story. Sorry.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Amazon instantly refund that poo poo. I one got a terrible t-shirt with artifact JPEG printed on it from China and they refunded me immediately.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why did you do this in a pressure cooker?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Casull posted:

I need more variety than the turkey chili I keep making. Any suggestions?

Nope, sorry. Nowhere in this thread are there any recipes shared.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Qu Appelle posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone tried tofu in the IP with success?

Like in saute mode but why would one need to use pressure to cook tofu?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Jacque > Julia > Kenji > Alton. Fight me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are recipe books really better than googling a dish and spending 20 minutes reading 3 - 10 recipes and picking bits and pieces you like from each? I end up making a dish 2 - 5 times always tweaking before I'm 'satisfied' with it, even if its from a cookbook.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

WhiteHowler posted:

The only downside I've found so far is that some vegetables basically disintegrate under high heat and pressure. Which is great for flavor, but it's weird to throw in a couple of chopped onions for a stew and have them essentially disappear.

That's not a downside, depending on the application.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That recipe sounds decent, but you stop and come back to release pressure to add more water and stir. Add colatura di alicisauce, or fish sauce, to this and it sounds really decent.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought you could only bake bread which has been proofed in an IP, in an airfryer c/d?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
does baking with sucralose change considerably when using pure liquid sucralose vs. the mixed ingredient cut-down splenda powder?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

poverty goat posted:

i keep going back and buying larger and larger quantities of misc animal parts

This is me. I have 2 leftover roast chicken carcasses + some fresh ginger in my IP right now. Plan on making some wonton soup and hotpot. Freezer is full of pork, chicken and beef stocks. My local supermarket will cut beef bones to order so I have them cut the beef leg bones open to brown more of the marrow. Supermarkets that break down the animals on premise have good deals on offcuts and bones.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 27, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stringent posted:

Every once in a while you should definitely do one of the delicious meat dishes and let her watch you eat it.

bonus if they're there when you begin venting the IP and gets to enjoy the smell.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Air fryers are miniature portable convection ovens. Can't fit much in it, either. Probably OK if you don't have a real oven. Definitely not oil frying or pressure cooking related.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
May I please get a quick recommendation on cooking unsoaked pinto beans in the IP? I have a bag of beans, a carton of chicken stock, a white onion, 2 jalapenos, whole garlic cloves, couple carrots, a rotisserie roasted whole pork hock from roli roti. How many cups of beans and stock for how long under pressure?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
thanks!

edit: so I put in:

1lb/2cups pinto
5 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 cup water
small chopped white onion
2 chopped carrots
1 clove garlic
a few dashes worcestershire
a teeny bit of paprika
a teeny but of cumin
a bit of dried oregano
1 tsp salt
the hock

40mins high pressure in the IP, 20mins left til I quick release.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
holy poo poo beans are the best

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
don't be like my housemates putting broccoli in the IP.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Because it becomes overcooked then the house stinks of farts. More than when they overcook it in a stovetop pan because they manage to fit way more into the IP.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
3.5 hours under pressure for chicken is a long rear end time. Fish < Chicken < Beef usually but interested to hear your thought process on that decision. Like why not do beef for 4 or 4.5? And is the chicken bone not disintegrated by then?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Girlfriend has a package of sliced deli ham in the freezer. Will I regret roughly chopping it up and and putting it into the IP with beans?