Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

QuarkMartial posted:

Thinking of getting this pressure cooker as my first step into pressure cooking. I want a big one so I can do bigger cuts of meat.

Presto 01282 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006ISG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XuejzbSJVQR4Q
Presto pressure cookers are fine, but I'd spend the extra US$20 or so for the stainless one (model 01370 is the 8-quart equivalent of the aluminium 01282 you link). I think the 01370 is the one recommended by his imperial majesty López-Alt, if that makes a difference.

The pressure cooker I've been using for the past several years is a Fagor Duo. I like it a lot but it's like US$100 so probably not what you're looking for if the price is one of the things putting you off an Instant Pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ignoranus posted:

I have made and enjoyed this particular recipe a few times, but I've been told in this thread that it's a mere sad shadow of whatever version Kenji published.
Yeah, traditional Bolognese is a dish build around browning, browning, and more browning---of the soffritto, of the meat, and of the milk. You really don't get this, or even a close approximation, out of using a pressure cooker.

That's not to say it's a bad recipe or what it produces won't be any good, just that it's really a different thing.

Ranter posted:

That recipe sounds decent, but you stop and come back to release pressure to add more water and stir. Add colatura di alicisauce, or fish sauce, to this and it sounds really decent.
Always Add Fish Sauce.