Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

eames posted:

Macrium Reflect question! We have a small business with 7 workstations (6x Windows 10 & 1x Windows XP, don't ask ). The server is backed up nightly via Acronis. Data that isn't stored on the server gets backed up offsite via Crashplan. I would like to have semi-recent disk images of each workstation to minimize downtime just in case we do get hit by a Cryptolocker.

At the moment I simply shut the machines down, boot a Clonezilla CD and clone images of each PC to a 3,5" HDD. Since some PCs are limited to USB 2.0 this process takes a few hours total so I only do it every 6 months, rotating two 3,5" drives, each then stored offsite at a different location.

Would Macrium Reflect v7 Workstation be a better way of doing this or is it overkill?
If I do set up a little NAS for centralised disk image backups via MSB, how do I keep a cryptolocker from encrypting all the Macrium backups?
Would it be sufficient to firewall the NAS off and only allow access to it for a few hours per week (pretty sure pfsense has a feature for scheduled rules)?

Acronis can create a special partition that isn't windows accessible, then it stores continuous images on that. A good protection from cryptolockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

I need a solution to automatically back up certain folders to from employee's own laptops (<10), both Windows and Mac, to a single account. Is Jungle Disk any good these days? Encryption is essential.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The correct answer is probably Windows Server Essentials or some Azure AD setup and back everything up at the server. I don't know if your boss wants to hear that or not, but they're probably going to ask for more than just backups in the future, even with less than ten people.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

Why is it something simple like backups requires a domain! I'm not yelling at you DP, more yelling at Microsoft for not creating a product for small business. No one wants a loving domain controller to back up 4 PCs!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Look at Crashplan

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Is anyone here doing Veeam to an Amazon VTL storage gateway? We're looking into this to replace our current physical tape setup.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."

Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Why is it something simple like backups requires a domain! I'm not yelling at you DP, more yelling at Microsoft for not creating a product for small business. No one wants a loving domain controller to back up 4 PCs!

I don't think you necessarily need to set up Active Directory on anything other than the server with essentials. Obviously, there's benefits to having domain joined PCs.

But in your case, you could just setup the domain and not join the PCs. Then use it as a file store for your backups.

This is taking into account none of the previous conversation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

I just got a Synology DS215j for lightweight photo and media storage. My main machine is a new Win10 laptop that has a reasonably small SSD so I can no longer keep everything local. I want to mount the NAS shares on it and then back them up to Crashplan cloud, but this apparently isn't supported by Crashplan in Windows. So I set up a Linux VM in VirtualBox and got the Crashplan Linux client installed (no easy feat for me, as I've never used a VM before and I don't use Linux much).

There's a few things I'm not clear on with this setup:

1) how much HDD space and RAM do I need in the VM to run Crashplan? The VM host is my Win10 laptop, which has 8 GB RAM - If I allocate 2GB to the VM for example, does it use all of that and not allow Windows to use it, or does that just set a max threshold but it will only use it dynamically as needed? I will literally have nothing but Crashplan running in this VM and I'd like to keep its resource allocation as low as possible.

2) these files have been backed up to Crashplan's cloud before, and I know there is such a thing as 'adopting' a machine but I've restructured some of the files on the NAS - do I still try to 'adopt' or let it push copies of everything again?

3) is there any sense in using the NAS as both my source for serving files and as a local Crashplan backup destination (in addition to the Crashplan cloud)? Storage space isn't an issue as I have a lot of headroom on the drives.

4) this whole VM setup will only work when I'm on my home network, right? So if I'm traveling I guess it will run but will only be able to backup local stuff on the laptop as the NAS shares are unaccessible?

Thanks.

«11 »