Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cmykjester posted:

I have been rethinking my backup solution lately. I'm a graphic designer and keep current work backed up in the Adobe Cloud, and old work on Dropbox and then having a 1TB WD MyPassport drive backing up a third copy of everything locally. However I've been finding lately that the external drive probably wasn't really meant for this use and it's randomly been disappearing.

So I was wondering what is a good external hard drive for backing stuff up?

Also in general how should I be backing stuff up, I've just been using the Windows 10 file history and Windows 7 Disk backup to write to that external drive. But I suppose I need to be able to have multiple versions of a system image backed up?

1. Your hard drive can and will fail at the worst possible moment, no matter how much you paid for it.

2. You want two or more hard drives, so you can restore your data when one dies.
2a it's better to have two budget drives vs. one high quality drive

3. If you're really serious, keep them in different places. One will be left in case your apartment/office burns down.

As a portable backup hard drive some random WD/Toshiba/Seagate 2.5'' thing in whatever capacity you want is completely ok because you're syncing it with another drive regularly. I'd recommend putting some mid tier platter drive in your home or office PC for that, and using the program freefilesync if you're only backing up files because it's free and convenient and very good at doing incremental backups (only copying new or modified files) to save time. If you want a bootable backup of your OS, use something like Macrium Reflect to image or clone the drive.

If your external drive keeps randomly disappearing that often means the USB connector is getting worn out, which becomes an issue with every kind of external hard drive that gets moved between different PCs over time. If you consider that a problem, you can buy a cheap new case and put the drive into it.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Would a My Cloud EX2 be overkill for a seven-person office that generates a lot of PDFs and photos?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Dark One posted:

Would a My Cloud EX2 be overkill for a seven-person office that generates a lot of PDFs and photos?

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to backups. There is only over budget.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

I use those a lot in small business situations. They have nice features, real simple to manage. Run a bit hot. I enjoy the USB 3.0 ports which can be used for automatic internal rsync backups from the pool/array to a USB stick. In fact, I rotate a couple 128GB thumb drives and take them off site. Hard to beat for the price.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PSA: World Backup Day is March 31st.

All of the consumer-level backup providers (Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze) ran promotions on subscriptions then. They may just run them again!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh hey I didn't know this thread existed so I'll ask here.

What's a reliable and reasonably cheap HDD to get for backups? What's a good enclosure to get to go with it? Bonus points if I can plug the enclosure into my lovely $30 router via Ethernet.

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much have the same question. I was thinking of a 1 or 2TB Enterprise class 3.5" SATA drive with a decent enclosure with a fan. I've never built one before and could use advice on what brand drive is recommended. I was initially thinking a Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000. I honestly don't know though if that is a good drive.

I'd primarily be backing up office documents.
Outlook archives, tons of PDFs and Excel files.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So we're looking for backup solutions at work, and so far Veeam B&R Enterprise is in the lead. How does anyone else familiar feel about it? At the start it'll cover our VM images, as well as our Exchange and file volumes on our SAN. Maybe more down the line, but this covers the essentials at the moment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So we're looking for backup solutions at work, and so far Veeam B&R Enterprise is in the lead. How does anyone else familiar feel about it? At the start it'll cover our VM images, as well as our Exchange and file volumes on our SAN. Maybe more down the line, but this covers the essentials at the moment.

Veeam has a really good reputation, overall.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Veeam is pretty awesome. I've used it for VM backups and restores and it's pretty flawless and quick. Out of all the software I've used it's one of the very few that just works - no tweaks or weird workarounds.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RusteJuxx posted:

Veeam is pretty awesome. I've used it for VM backups and restores and it's pretty flawless and quick. Out of all the software I've used it's one of the very few that just works - no tweaks or weird workarounds.

Veeam is fine for simple use cases, but doing anything complex or scaling up becomes terrible.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I see Veeam have a free endpoint backup version that has scheduling and incremental/differential as default. Anyone have experience with both it and Macrium Reflect and how they compare?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We are just finishing setting up Veeam in our environment, we have 2 physical servers that will act as backup devices (they are also DCs... ask me about the fun getting SQL installed on a DC is), they are connected to a SAN, they will be backing up 3 VMHosts of hyper-v stuff, with direct 10Gb links between the hosts and the backup system. It took 5 minutes to back-up 3 VMs at the same time and 3 minutes to restore them, at least in our testing. I can give you a better trip-report over the next few weeks once we get our back-up schedule finalized and do our first week of full backups/diffs and then test restores.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I made the mistake of using Bitcasa as an online backup service. http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/21/bitcasa-killing-drive-cloud-storage-service-on-may-20-will-focus-on-growing-platform-business/

What should I get to replace it? Ideally, I want something that can sync folders I use a lot so I don't have to worry about losing work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

clockworkjoe posted:

I made the mistake of using Bitcasa as an online backup service. http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/21/bitcasa-killing-drive-cloud-storage-service-on-may-20-will-focus-on-growing-platform-business/

What should I get to replace it? Ideally, I want something that can sync folders I use a lot so I don't have to worry about losing work.

What are your needs other than syncing the data to the cloud?

Do you need past versions? Do you need to be able to upload to the cloud from one system and then sync it down to another? What about the ability to restore large amounts of data at once?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

MeKeV posted:

I see Veeam have a free endpoint backup version that has scheduling and incremental/differential as default. Anyone have experience with both it and Macrium Reflect and how they compare?

Sane question here, I'm using reflect but curious about Veeam.
We just purchased Veeam for work and the backup guy seems to like it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dyscrasia posted:

Sane question here, I'm using reflect but curious about Veeam.
We just purchased Veeam for work and the backup guy seems to like it.

Yeah we just configured it, so far so good, unsure about the free version though. The paid version has been a breeze, although I haven't had to deal with any other systems, our backups were previously handled by a different group that was... unreliable.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

What are your needs other than syncing the data to the cloud?

Do you need past versions? Do you need to be able to upload to the cloud from one system and then sync it down to another? What about the ability to restore large amounts of data at once?

I only have one desktop and one laptop and I don't work on the same files on both machines so I don't need sync transfer.

I mostly write and podcast so I have a lot of data to back up, but I won't need it all at once.

Past versions would be nice, but not essential.

Main things are reliability (I don't want the service discontinued like Bitcasa), amount I can store, and syncing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just pick one of the big three personal backups. Carbonite, crash plan, back blaze.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Arq has been around for a while (and just got updated), it can upload to a bunch of different cloud services.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Just pick one of the big three personal backups. Carbonite, crash plan, back blaze.

I just realized I had another limitation - I am capped on my total bandwidth used per month by my ISP. I can see Crashplan can limit speed, but I would like to cap total data uploaded to the backup service. Is there a service that lets me set something like only upload X gigs a day or something like that?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

clockworkjoe posted:

Is there a service that lets me set something like only upload X gigs a day or something like that?

Nope, not that I know of, unless you do some kind of roll your own thing where you upload to amazon S3 or something.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Is md5 checksumming photos and videos you backup overkill?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Freakus posted:

Is md5 checksumming photos and videos you backup overkill?

Only can tell you if they have changed, can't help you restore, so maybe not overkill but how useful is it?

PAR2 them instead :)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been using Crashplan for a few years with no real issues, it's saved my rear end multiple times when my raid failed in the media server. I'm due to renew and am reconsidering it's continued use.

My main gripe is that I have a media server at home running crashplan which my laptop and desktop backup to, unfortunately Crashplan doesn't allow the media server to push those backups to the cloud so only the contents on the server are being backed up offsite.

I have roughly 850GB of data I'd backup at once with incremental backups around 300-400MB a week. Considering I pay $60/mo, would it make sense to switch to something like Amanda and backup to s3? I'd have to setup some policies to push things to Glacier in order to reduce S3 costs so I'd be able to drive the cost down a bit but I'm guessing at best I'll break even with what I currently pay, on the other hand I'd have all my systems backup up off-site.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ashex posted:

My main gripe is that I have a media server at home running crashplan which my laptop and desktop backup to, unfortunately Crashplan doesn't allow the media server to push those backups to the cloud so only the contents on the server are being backed up offsite.

If they allowed that then everyone would backup all their machines to the one PC for which they bought a license and just backup everything from there and basically skirt their entire licensing model.

Edit: I guess yeah it's dumb if you want to conserve bandwidth or something but that's basically a third world/Australia problem.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 9, 2016

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Ashex posted:

I've been using Crashplan for a few years with no real issues, it's saved my rear end multiple times when my raid failed in the media server. I'm due to renew and am reconsidering it's continued use.

I have roughly 850GB of data I'd backup at once with incremental backups around 300-400MB a week. Considering I pay $60/mo, would it make sense to switch to something like Amanda and backup to s3? I'd have to setup some policies to push things to Glacier in order to reduce S3 costs so I'd be able to drive the cost down a bit but I'm guessing at best I'll break even with what I currently pay, on the other hand I'd have all my systems backup up off-site.

I wonder if you could use the free crashplan set up to backup machines to you server and then say pay for backblaze to back up the server, including the crashplan files?

If it works, all you'd have to do is accept that everyone will think you are a horrible person. But it would come in at $5/mo

e:I have thought about using Amazon Cloud drive like this in some way, for an additional backup. But Odrive is the only client software I've tried so far (the ACD uploader is junk)

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 9, 2016

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sheep posted:

If they allowed that then everyone would backup all their machines to the one PC for which they bought a license and just backup everything from there and basically skirt their entire licensing model.

Edit: I guess yeah it's dumb if you want to conserve bandwidth or something but that's basically a third world/Australia problem.

Crashplan licenses per computer with no discount for multiple so I'd be paying $180 for all three. If they offered some feature that allows you to do what I want for a reduced cost (say $15/computer) I'd be happy.

MeKeV posted:

I wonder if you could use the free crashplan set up to backup machines to you server and then say pay for backblaze to back up the server, including the crashplan files?

If it works, all you'd have to do is accept that everyone will think you are a horrible person. But it would come in at $5/mo

e:I have thought about using Amazon Cloud drive like this in some way, for an additional backup. But Odrive is the only client software I've tried so far (the ACD uploader is junk)

media server is running linux and Backblaze doesn't offer a linux client (more importantly headless). You did give me an idea to let Crashplan manage the backups but push the files to AWS with another tool. This would mean only setting up Amanda on the media server and let everything else run as normal.

I could simplify it by have a cronjob run nightly that just uses the aws cli to replicate changes to S3.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Ashex posted:

Crashplan licenses per computer with no discount for multiple so I'd be paying $180 for all three. If they offered some feature that allows you to do what I want for a reduced cost (say $15/computer) I'd be happy.

Edit: it took me two and a half hours to realize that you didn't notice that the family plan exists and are talking about three separate individual licenses.

All of your problems are solved by buying a family license instead of individual. It works out to $1.25/machine/month, which is pretty much the definition of reduced cost. It's all tied to your one master account and all you have to do to convert from individual to family is buy the license and apply it on your dashboard, it even spells it out on the Subscriptions page on the dashboard.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 9, 2016

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

[ ... multi-client backup discussion to Crashplan above ...]

I backup my PC to a shared folder on the Synology NAS using freefilesysnc (http://www.freefilesync.org/), then Crashplan uploads all as one data set. Works flawlessly with a single license.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sheep posted:

Edit: it took me two and a half hours to realize that you didn't notice that the family plan exists and are talking about three separate individual licenses.

All of your problems are solved by buying a family license instead of individual. It works out to $1.25/machine/month, which is pretty much the definition of reduced cost. It's all tied to your one master account and all you have to do to convert from individual to family is buy the license and apply it on your dashboard, it even spells it out on the Subscriptions page on the dashboard.

Sort of, with the family plan each computer would backup to the cloud and I just want to push everything to a central server which does offsite backups.

I want my cake :downswords:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What's a good solution for image based backups on a network? Ideally I'd like the client machines to all send an image to a backup server which can store it and also has the ability to upload to the cloud for redundancy. I want to minimize downtime in the event of hardware failure and we use a lot of old lovely software which finding reinstallations for would be cumbersome.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

What's a good solution for image based backups on a network? Ideally I'd like the client machines to all send an image to a backup server which can store it and also has the ability to upload to the cloud for redundancy. I want to minimize downtime in the event of hardware failure and we use a lot of old lovely software which finding reinstallations for would be cumbersome.

I'm a fan of Macrium Reflect after Acronis kind of started sucking.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

I've been running Veeam that was mentioned earlier in the thread on a schedule and it has been running and backing up to a network share very well............very bad practice I'd imagine, relying on an untested system, but I am yet to do a proper restore.
Though given I never set up a schedule with Macrium Reflect (Is it available in the free version?) full backups were sporadic, so I'm not in a particularly worse situation in that sense.

I've been trying to decided whether to add my medium sized linux ISO collection to crashplan, but am hesitant as I'm not entirely attached to it. I was wondering what a good way would be of keeping a backup of the folder structure, including say a placeholder file to identify what ISOs I currently have, without uploading the big files?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MeKeV posted:

I've been trying to decided whether to add my medium sized linux ISO collection to crashplan, but am hesitant as I'm not entirely attached to it. I was wondering what a good way would be of keeping a backup of the folder structure, including say a placeholder file to identify what ISOs I currently have, without uploading the big files?

Run tree /F /A > tree.txt on the folder in question and then backup tree.txt?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'd like to ask the same question, but for Macs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

I'd like to ask the same question, but for Macs.
Try the Mac software thread. Off the top of my head there's SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner for imaging (I think the latter has an option for images at least). There's others but I'm not familiar with them, and there might be more deployment specific stuff.

The server can do the image uploading to wherever, not sure what options there are for imaging and uploading directly from the clients if you meant that though. There's Crashplan, Backblaze, etc., and Arq, but I don't know if that's the type of thing you're looking for.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have experience with Windows server storage essentials? I have a whs 1.0 and over time I've added gpt based machines that aren't supported for backups.

I want bare metal restore, data de-dupe, and something like storage spaces to mitigate single drive loss. The media on the server is currently also backed up to crashplan.

The old whs migration path was to buy wse2012r2, but this storage spaces thing looks to be more straightforward. Right now I only see a thecus w2810 pro, but it isn't out yet and has no reviews.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If I were you (I migrated from WHS as well). I would build a machine with Windows 7,8, or 10. Then load stablebit drivepool. Bare metal restore needs something like Acronis or Macrium Reflect as well but you can target that at the pool. No dedup but nothing does that that I have used.

Storage Spaces is block level stripped and has many limitations and no real documentation. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

redeyes posted:

If I were you (I migrated from WHS as well). I would build a machine with Windows 7,8, or 10. Then load stablebit drivepool. Bare metal restore needs something like Acronis or Macrium Reflect as well but you can target that at the pool. No dedup but nothing does that that I have used.

Storage Spaces is block level stripped and has many limitations and no real documentation. It sucks.

I've been looking at going this route as well when WHS2011 stops getting security updates (but going with Server 2012). Same thing about Drivepool, I've seen too many (anecdotal) posts around the web about Storage Spaces just nuking people's files.

I've been leaning towards Veeam Endpoint Backup, and they've posted in the past about combining it and Server 2012's data deduplication feature to get deduplication on your backups.

I'm assuming if your volume is a Drivepool volume it'll all play nice together, though some testing would probably be required.

• Locked thread