Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm a total backup novice (used to back up to external HDDs, every single one failed, gave up) who's having a predictable freakout after a fire destroyed an apartment building down the block. To back up my computer and my girlfriend's, is Duplicati + Backblaze B2 still the most viable option or would we only be able to use one computer per Backblaze subscription? How difficult is a total restoration in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Backblaze offers two different services: their regular backup service and B2. The regular backup service uses their backup software and has a flat yearly fee (per computer, Windows and MacOS only) for unlimited storage. B2 is a more generic cloud storage service which can be used with your own backup software (like Duplicati) to do backups. B2 charges per-gigabyte on a monthly basis (at a rate of $5/1000 GB/month) for storage and also charges a per-GB fee for downloads ($20/1000 GB transferred). Since you're paying per-GB with B2, Backblaze doesn't restrict how many computers you could use with each account (the 1 computer per account restriction on their backup service seems to mainly exist to keep people from backing up too much data on a single "unlimited" account). Both of their services have an option to send you your data via the mail on a USB drive but B2 charges for the service (their personal backup service will refund you the cost of the drive if you send it back to them).

Interesting, thanks. It might be easier to get two Backblaze subscriptions, actually, as our total data might exceed 2 TB (which would be equivalent to two subscriptions month-to-month and worse than two subscriptions yearly), but I've heard the primary Backblaze service can be frustrating in terms of what gets backed up and what control you have. But, then, there are other reviews that disagree with that, so I guess I'm going to be doing more digging.

• Locked thread