Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Who's offering deals and discounts? I'm not seeing any so far.

Protip:

Create a blank empty account with Carbonite, use an email that you actually use to sign up. They send out email promotions once and a while, especially if you've started a trial or account but haven't done anything with it. The account won't expire from not being used and when they push a big marketing promotion you'll likely be in on it.

Otherwise your choices are to use a radio/website promotion code on signup. Generally the codes are only ever for new subscribers, not existing subs. No, you can't call support and get 20% off or 2 extra months because you feel like you're a special snowflake. Hinthintwinkwink

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Looks like these days it's not in the config file any more, you have to open a CLI to change the setting.

But yeah the problem is that the Crashplan client by default only permits itself to use up to a certain amount of RAM, and the bigger your backup set the more RAM it uses. I have a 4TB backup set, and the Crashplan service is currently using just under 2GB of RAM. Code42 appears to recommend setting the maximum to 1GB per 1TB.

That's because the databasing system(s) all cloud backups use to catalogue what files you have in your backup start to choke after about 200-500gb or 500k+ files. 4TB is absurd with the current popular cloud backup software that's out there. Partially this is likely because of allowing you to view your individual files anywhere, that the way they have to store/catalogue the information results in huge dbs that can easily become corrupted, and if the company doesn't store a backup of your database you're hosed.

My personal experience is that Carbonite's software is lacking and crashplan's software was nicer, but more confusing and easier to gently caress up. I have little experience with backblaze. If you have a mac, just go with Time Machine. All the popular mac clients are terrible imo. I hate Macs though and would prefer using Linux if I had a gun to my face.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Carbonite used to throttle heavily, but recently (last year) removed upload throttles for their personal plans. Or raised the max speed cap significantly. Something like that. It's pretty good now.

Carbonite used to throttle when you had 200GB+ of data backed up on their servers. They removed that in late 2014, iirc.

To be transparent, there always was an actual cap of bandwidth on the endpoint products, now it's just generally enforced. 10Mbit for the personal plans, 20Mbit for the pro plans. Carbonite Server Backup doesn't really have a limit per se, but I doubt you'll ever reach it outside of using google fiber or hardware bandwidth capacities for your machine. By the way, that's total bandwidth, up or down is about 10/20mbit afaik.

That being said: most consumers do not have 10mbit+ upload speeds, and if you do, you are the outlier.

On the topic of Veeam, I've been reading their support KBs over the past couple months, and their KBs are loving awesome (compared to some companies). Their backup sounds awesome, but I've had zero experience with them.

On that note, if you are into Tape backups (or BYOC), you should totally get your hands dirty with the Zmanda product, it's awesome and has been around for 20 years.

clockworkjoe posted:

I just realized I had another limitation - I am capped on my total bandwidth used per month by my ISP. I can see Crashplan can limit speed, but I would like to cap total data uploaded to the backup service. Is there a service that lets me set something like only upload X gigs a day or something like that?

Carbonite can limit how much bandwidth on the endpoint product uses but nothing that just turns off after say x gigs of bandwidth. You'd be better off installing netlimiter or something and using that to manage on a OS or Router level.

Ashex posted:

I've been using Crashplan for a few years with no real issues, it's saved my rear end multiple times when my raid failed in the media server. I'm due to renew and am reconsidering it's continued use.

My main gripe is that I have a media server at home running crashplan which my laptop and desktop backup to, unfortunately Crashplan doesn't allow the media server to push those backups to the cloud so only the contents on the server are being backed up offsite.

I have roughly 850GB of data I'd backup at once with incremental backups around 300-400MB a week. Considering I pay $60/mo, would it make sense to switch to something like Amanda and backup to s3? I'd have to setup some policies to push things to Glacier in order to reduce S3 costs so I'd be able to drive the cost down a bit but I'm guessing at best I'll break even with what I currently pay, on the other hand I'd have all my systems backup up off-site.

As far as I know, there's nothing on the cheap end that can do offserver for the price you're looking for, though I suppose you could look into amanda backup solutions. I believe? Amanda is open source but you wont get any support from it outside of the forums. Zmanda is basically Amanda backup but with paid support. The same people who work on Amanda also work on Zmanda, and is owned by Carbonite.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 11, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress tapes. I understand their purpose, but holy gently caress does it lead to some convoluted backup schemes.

Some IT are literally crazy. Overhearing our Zmanda support teams, there are some facepalming IT professionals who make me sad.

I can totally understand where they're coming from, however.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

. I'm tired of carrying the thing around

Dropbox or Google Drive. If you want the drive backed up then to not have to carry the drive around I don't recommend Carbonite unless you follow some exact steps.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Carbonite's personal and office plans (business) will delete missing files after 30/60 days of being missing or inaccessible (such as a hard drive slowly dying, or being disconnected) unless you "freeze" or pause the backup or don't have the software installed (virtually the same thing)

The Carbonite server software you can set your own retention to as long as you want, but that's prohibitively expensive unless you're running an actual business. ($600 to $1000 per year)

google drive/dropbox also have a 30 day (these files are missing for 30+ days, so we're deleting this poo poo), but if you're looking to drop something off onto someone else's server and not sync the data afterwards (maybe periodically connecting your HDD to sync every so often, rather than being connected all the time) then google drive or dropbox are some options. I don't know how their syncing options work too well if the drive is disconnected or whichever.

I can't say too much about crashplan as I've not used it past a trial (backblaze as well), but you could potentially do what you're asking for with Carbonite. Just know it will obviously take time to upload over the net and then if you want to make sure the retention isn't going to kick in, to either stop the backup to prevent further changes until you next connect the drive (I say this because it sounds like you disconnect the drive to connect it to another of the laptops for a period of time, which would mark the files as "missing") or uninstall the software until your next sync time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm retiring my 6 year old RAID. Walmart has a 6TB Toshiba drive for $169 online, Microcenter price matched it.

I'm on the fence between Google and Amazon for cloud backup. I know Microsoft's integrates with Windows really well, but they charge a bit more.

Good point about the crypto viruses.

I recently bought two 5tb external Seagate drives, and ripped one of the hdds out and put it in the tower to replace my failing drives. They were $115 a piece :getin:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wiggly posted:

Just got this email from CrashPlan:

This really sucks for the transition, but I guess whatever. What are the other recommendations for home use?

edit to add: I have CrashPlan set to backup to an external hard drive in addition to online. Are there other applications that do the same thing? Not that I can't do it myself but it was an easy way to do it.

Your choices (provided by Crashplan) are:
1. Carbonite
2. Crashplan Pro
3. Something else entirely.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saying GDrive is going to be taken offline is disingenuous. Google Drive will still be around. The desktop software is now called Backup and Sync.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Furism posted:

Carbonite is poo poo.You can't specify which files you want to backup. They have their own list of acceptable formats (apparently mp3 and flac are not on it) and won't upload anything else outside of that list, even if you tell it to.

https://support.carbonite.com/articles/Personal-Windows-File-Types-Excluded-from-Backup

:confused:

Javid posted:

I went with backblaze but so far I'm not particularly impressed. The way you choose what to back up is rear end backwards - by default it backs up EVERYTHING on every hard drive connected, minus a few generic system folders and filetypes, and you have to add an exclusion for every. single. folder. you don't want it to back up. I'd much rather point it at the few specific folders I care about than add a billion exceptions so I'm not trying to upload 3 TB of poo poo. The backup client is also a gigantic resource hog and their support's "solution" is to disable your antivirus before every backup.

If there's a different client that can back up to the backblaze storage I'm already paying for and using (so I don't have to run another full backup) I'd love to hear about it.

Yeah, I don't need to back up EVERYTHING, I only need like 1-2 folders and subfolders backed up. I wasn't a fan.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Right now my small business of one computer uses CrashPlan Pro just to backup select files. I hate it and would rather do a full image and have a backup of that image. Should I go with Duplaciti or Macroum and then a service like backblaze b2? My only concern with backvkaze is it supposedly only keeps files for 30 days? Is that true?

From what I know of Backblaze, if you delete a file, backblaze only holds onto that file for 30 days (rolling copy of your backup). That's pretty industry standard fare.

I believe I read they also delete the whole backup if it hasn't contacted their servers for 6 months (if the computer is off) which seems stupid to me, but v:v:v (not sure if that applies to B2)

• Locked thread