Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

I meant home enthusiasts. Or did that crowd use tapes?

Really hardcore people I knew had a rotating series of external drives that they would store at a friends/parents house, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

That's actually kind of fascinating.

And a really nice vendor response.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

I was looking at Amazon Glacier because it seemed to perfectly fit my needs (write once, restore hopefully never and with no real hurry, as cheap as possible), but I ended up confused as to why it even exists.

At $0.007/GB/month, and assuming no retrieval fees whatsoever, it'll take a whopping 700GB of storage before hitting price parity with Amazon Cloud Drive or CrashPlan, which are totally unlimited AND have no retrieval delay. Make that 400GB if you're in one of the $0.012 regions, again without retrieval fees (which are significant - $0.09/GB past the first giga).

So I guess it's still on the table if you only have a small archive set, but other than that, is there any reason not to go with the Cloud Drive instead?

This is for joe schlub on his personal computer? That's not really the use case that glacier was designed for, so there may very well be better options out there for that situation.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RusteJuxx posted:

Veeam is pretty awesome. I've used it for VM backups and restores and it's pretty flawless and quick. Out of all the software I've used it's one of the very few that just works - no tweaks or weird workarounds.

Veeam is fine for simple use cases, but doing anything complex or scaling up becomes terrible.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I got a Veeam question I hope someone can help clarify. I don't know if the salesguy I dealt with hosed up, or we just had a weird misunderstanding or what. He just had a kid so he's out of the office for a week, and I'm not going to push the issue with him until he's back.

We have a NetApp for our primary storage. It has 3 volumes; one LUN is a vmfs that stores all of our VMware VMs and whatnot, while the other two are ntfs for exchange and file server storage. The two ntfs LUNs are just mounted as an iscsi drive on the exchange server and file server respectively. I was told Veeam would back all of this up.

Veeam is connected to the NetApp. It sees all the volumes, but can only run backup jobs on the vmfs volume. The two ntfs however, I can't do anything with. I can run a file copy job if I add the corresponding vm that mounts the LUN, but that's hardly a solution. I can't find a way to add the non-vmfs to any sort of proper backup job. Is this correct? Can I not do anything with the non-vmfs LUNs?

Worst case scenario I'm going to have to create new vmfs volumes, create a huge fuckoff disk on it, and attach that disk to the exchange/file servers. Then migrate the data without loving everything up. Even then, I don't know if Veeam will back them up properly, because they're not VMs. That'll be a huge pain in the rear end, so I'm hoping for a better way.

Any advice?

Yeah I think you got screwed on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone used Veeam for physical server backups?
What did you like/dislike?

Does anyone recommend anything for physical backups?

How exactly are you going to use Veeam for physical server backups? With their endpoint agent?

• Locked thread