Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Melian Dialogue posted:

Would that work across different networks? I.E. could I be on a seperate wifi network and access it like I would DropBox or Google Drive?

\\ipaddress\share

IIRC the default firewall settings for "Home" networks only allow windows file sharing on the same network, you'll need to sit and edit firewall settings or change it to "Work" network which has its own restrictions that I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ConfusedUs posted:

That'd work too. My only concern is that it seems like it might be hard to find stuff for restore purposes if he's got lots of root folders.

Most people look for things by location rather than by size. It'd be a pain if /folder_a/ and /folder_s/ were on drive 1, while b, c, f-k, and w are on drive 2. Folder Z is huge, and thus it has drive 3 to itself. Everything else is on drive 4.

I'd hate to find anything in a mess like that.

A mountain of symlinks maintained by a million lines of shell script to make it all seamless.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Have you looked at http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html?ad=in-text-link

edit: The brochure specifically mentions tape drives but has no details beyond that.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 27, 2015

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You need to store extras of whatever reads that media, and whatever that thing plugs in to, and whatever software it needs, and an dand and

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

computer parts posted:

Don't forget extra power plugs too just in case. And those converters in case we switch over to the European style.

Look pal, I don't have an AIT drive or Veritas BackuExec for Netware anymore so those tapes are basically useless :colbert:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Riso posted:

I have a gig to consolidate 1.35TB of data spread over five computers and a NAS to a single location.
Sadly the password for the NAS was lost so I can only use the network because I am not playing the manual's "reset without destroying data, honest!" gambit.

I was wondering what the best Windows tool would be to copy that stuff over the network reliably. Seeing how this will take a whole weekend I don't want to babysit the transfer all the time. At most I want to pop in twice a day to check.

I know there's richcopy but that hasn't been updated since 2009.

Robocopy with whatever settings for retries seems appropriate to you and write a log file so you can see the failures.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

redeyes posted:

I swear, there has GOT to be a decent GUI for robocopy. Or at least something with a decent gui for drag and dropping. I used to use SuperCopier back in the day before it turned into junkware.

It's the sort of thing where the only people who use it learn the options quickly enough to get the job done or script it and then stop caring.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Crashplan's website will let you grab one file at a time, or bundle up many files as a zip file. The Crashplan client will let you restore any number of files to either the original location or somewhere else. I don't know about the home version, but Crashplan for business keeps near unlimited revisions of files including deleted ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
At least for the business client they have a process to "adopt" a machine. I haven't done it in years so I can't offer any help.

• Locked thread