Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ConfusedUs posted:

To get the ball rolling, I figure I'll post my home backup scheme!

My primary storage for my home is a Synology NAS. All of my laptops/desktops (I have four in my home) back up to the NAS daily. The macs use Time Machine for this.

The NAS itself is backed up to an external harddrive every day and to the cloud once a week.

This gives me three layers of redundancy (NAS + EHD + CLOUD) for all my regular systems, and the NAS itself has two layers (EHD + Cloud).

I'm curious what do you use to actually backup the windows computers to your NAS. Do you just use Windows 7 Backup/Windows 8 File History or do you use something else. I have some 300 GB of documents and photos from work that would suck to lose and I should probably do more than just copying them over to an external hard-drive once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm trying to keep this thread company/product agnostic, focusing on best practices, so I didn't name it. And it would be absolute overkill for the average home user, as it's the server-level product I work on.

Anything that backs up to a disk would work in this scenario. Windows backup would be fine. Crashplan would work. Acronis or other imaging software would work. You could do it with robocopy batch script, even.

Seriously, whatever.

Alright. Good to know. I'll probably stick with file history/windows backup then. Thanks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Speaking of Raid it's probably a waste of my time to bother with Raid 6 if I'm going to just have four 6 (or 8) TB drives with no extra space for hard-drives in the case. Might as well just use Raid 1 and two volumes in that case right? No real benefit to go Raid 6/SHR-2 other than one volume in this case.

I bought one of those Xeon Dell Poweredge T20s for $250 and I'm going to use it as an Xpenology box.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Krailor posted:

The big difference is that with SHR-2/RAID-6 you can have any 2 drives fail with no impact to data availability. If you are using 2 mirrored volumes and the two drives that fail happen to be from the same mirrored set you've now lost access to that data.

Ah. Yeah didn't think about it that way, SHR-2 while still backing up the NAS it is.

Was planning to rotate a couple 8tb Externals and also back up the irreplaceable stuff to the cloud (photos & documents mainly). Still need to figure out how I want to backup stuff from the various computers to the NAS though. I'd almost prefer something like windows 8.1/10 file history but it's a pain to go back 500 revisions and look for something if you don't remember what you named it. edit: Mainly since I'd like the files to be easily accessible on the backup usb external if I have to take it to a computer offsite (say a laptop) and not have everything compressed into an archive.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dakana posted:

Amazon deal of the day is an 8TB Seagate USB3 external drive for $184. Anyone have any experience with this line of external drives?

The 8TB and 6TB in that series are SMR drives. The 4TB may also be a SMR drive, not sure.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dakana posted:

Had to Google that -- I'm likely going to use this as an offsite backup for my photo archive, so I'm not too concerned about read/write performance as it'd hopefully be an "oh poo poo" backup anyway. Are there reliability or other problems I should be concerned about with SMR drives?

I guess it should be okay then? It's just slow and gets really slow if you try to write over a filled block again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GuyGizmo posted:

I just did a little research and found that by and large Macrium Reflect is getting a lot of favorable reviews. It seems more in line with my needs than Veeam. And also I found a lot of negative reviews from the last couple of years about Acronis TrueImage, so it may not be as good as it once was. So I think I'll try Macrium Reflect.

I've been using Macrium Reflect Home to do full hard-drive backups from one of my computers to my (windows 10 pro headless) NAS and it's been fine for the most part. I had a backup conflict with another one once since they went off at the same day and time? Not entirely sure why it failed or if that was the reason but other then that hiccup things have been fine on my end. I've never had to restore a backup yet but do browse the images every once in awhile when I mount them on the NAS.

• Locked thread