Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I'm glad this thread is here, since I have a Windows related backup question, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I have a machine running Windows 8.1, and I'm looking for some software to make daily incremental backups of the entire system to an external drive. This means that it backs up the entire Windows installation, all of my programs, and all other data so that when I restore a backup, the computer will boot to the exact state it was in when the backup was made. Preferably it would be able to keep multiple backups on hand from previous days until my backup drive is filled, so if I want to restore to a state from several days or weeks ago, I could do that. And it would be incremental so that it doesn't have to backup everything every time a new backup is made.

Basically, I'm looking for something that's the Windows equivalent of OS X's Time Machine feature, except I don't need hourly backups, nor do I need the superfluous visual effects.

I already tried out EaseUS Todo Backup, since it claimed to do the exact thing I wanted. However, I recently corrupted my system, restored my entire hard drive from its backup, only to find that Windows wouldn't boot. It goes directly into recovery mode, and fails to fix whatever the problem is. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it and I might need to reinstall Windows completely. Sufficed to say, I'm deeply disappointed in this software because it failed me when I needed it the most.

Does anyone have any suggestions? From all of the googling I'm doing it's looking like there aren't any clear winners for what I want to do. There's a lot of software that backs up data, but isn't necessarily able to restore everything including Windows to a previous state and keep everything booting properly. And there's lots of software for cloning my drive, which I could do if there's no other viable option, but with drive cloning it's not feasible to do that daily, nor can it restore to a state from days past -- there'd only be one backup. And from what I can tell, the backup options supplied by Microsoft are pretty much useless unless you just want to back up the photos you sent to your grandmother or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not true. Acronis and the paid versions of Macrium Reflect can do differential or incremental cloning.

Which in essence means you have a base image and every new backup contains the difference with either the base image or the difference with the previous backup.

This allows you to keep the complete state of the machine at many different points in time.
This actually sounds like exactly what I want.

The Gunslinger posted:

I really wouldn't recommend Acronis Trueimage, that product seems to get shittier with every iteration. It's another one where I've had it fail in the worst way when I needed it the most and support from them was loving useless.

I've had better luck with Macrium Reflect but frankly neither one is perfect. Backup on Windows really sucks, I just want a Time Machine clone.
I'm wondering if it's worth switching to either of those, given your relatively glum outlook on them.

The good news for me is that I was able to successfully restore the backup that I made using EaseUS Todo Backup. It turns out the last several backups it made were corrupted, and I just needed to restore one from a little earlier.

However, that program has silently failed on me twice now. Once it actually caught the error, but made no effort to inform me that something was wrong. It just kept failing in the background and I didn't notice until I manually checked it -- for shame! And these latest backups were corrupted but there was no indication until I tried to restore them. So that doesn't bode well.

I don't need a perfect backup solution, and it's okay if the interface is clunky. I just want something for Windows that's reliable. Is that too much to ask?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Also, I feel this is good time to mention that Time Machine is, sadly, not the easy and reliable backup solution it purports to be. So people running OS X, heed my warning:

Time Machine has a bug that has existed since OS X 10.9 and seems to have gotten worse in OS X 10.10 where it will skip seemingly arbitrary files and folders. They just won't be copied into your backup anymore. I got burned by this recently when I restored using my Time Machine backup only to find that over 10 GB of data were suddenly freed up on my computer, and what wasn't backed up included all of the data for a project I was working on for a very important client. If I didn't have the good sense to have that backed up in one more place, I would have been absolutely hosed. Lots of the files of mine that were missing seemed to disappear from my Time Machine drive around the time I upgraded to 10.10, but I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

It's unclear how widespread this bug is, but it's happened enough times to spur multiple threads in Apple's discussion forums. So far, from all of my searching, there is no permanent fix. But the sad upshot of this is that you can't rely on Time Machine anymore.

So for those of you using Time Machine, I recommend opening Terminal and running the following command:
code:
tmutil compare
...and see if it reports any missing files that are unexpected. There's a good chance nothing is missing, and if so, you're probably in good shape. But as long as you continue using TM I would check every now and then to make sure it doesn't suddenly start skipping files, and backup all of your really important data in one more place just to be safe.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I'm also a CrashPlan Home user and while my subscription doesn't expire for several more months, I'm wondering what good alternatives exist that have comparable features.

The features from CrashPlan that I like a lot are:
  • Being able to back up any file on my computer, including on external drives
  • Being able to directly download the files I care about
  • Being able to restore old versions of files
  • Unlimited space
  • Being able to use a private encryption key where the decryption is done client side (so only I can ever decrypt my backed up data)
That said, the one thing I hate hate hate about CrashPlan is their god drat desktop app. It uses so much loving memory. So while I could shell out for CrashPlan Pro, I don't really want to.

The two most common choices are Backblaze and Carbonite.

I don't think Carbonite is a good option for me. I'd need to go for the more expensive plan in order to include multiple hard drives. Also, I'm on a mac so I couldn't use a private encryption key. And I don't like how they force you to manually select backing up files over 4 GB. I really want it to automatically back up everything.

Backblaze might be my best bet. Apparently their desktop app is well written and not a resource hog, but their restoration process sucks... I'd much rather just download the files I want than download a zip file. And I don't like how when you use a private encryption key, you still need to send it to them to restore anything because the decryption is done on their servers. They claim the key is never saved, but it still makes me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just being paranoid for no good reason though.

Those are the main options I'm aware of, and some cursory research hasn't led me to find anything else. Are there any other ones that might fit my needs?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Furism posted:

There's nothing today on the market similar to what CrashPlan Home used to offer. Probably because it was too cheap and some people were abusing that, I don't know. But there's no direct equivalent. People here tend to go with duplicity/restic against a BackBlaze B2 online storage, but that's more involved than a "it just works" software.
I'm definitely looking for something that requires minimal work or maintenance on my part, which was part of the original appeal of CrashPlan.

quote:

I think the closest you'll get is CloudBerry Backup (https://www.cloudberrylab.com/), it's a one-off purchase, and then add a subscription to whatever cloud provider on top of that (for reference, my 400 GB of backup costs me less than $2/month.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of this before! Thanks for the tip. I have about 4 TB of data that needs to be backed up, though, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what that would cost me for any of the more popular cloud storage providers. I'm getting the impression it will be fairly costly due to the large number of files I would be backing up.

quote:

Carbonite is poo poo.You can't specify which files you want to backup. They have their own list of acceptable formats (apparently mp3 and flac are not on it) and won't upload anything else outside of that list, even if you tell it to.
That's garbage. I wasn't going to use it, but now I wonder why anyone ever would.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

You guys may have convinced me to go to with Duplicati + Backblaze B2. Duplicati looks like a great piece of software if it works as well as I'm getting the impression it does, and Backblaze B2 seems very affordable.

Can anyone speak to the resource usage of Duplicati? That was my biggest complaint with Crashplan, and I'm wondering how it compares to Backblaze's desktop client (when no anti-virus is running) or CloudBerry.

edit: Actually that's probably not even that big of a deal either way, since Duplicati is scheduled, and it's perfectly acceptable for my uses to have it run just once a day at like 4 AM or something like that.

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 19, 2017

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Can I use Duplicati with Sync.com? As a Canadian, I like the idea of my data being stored on a local server and theoretically protected by Canadian privacy laws, but I can't figure out if Sync.com will work as a backend. As far as I can tell it can only point to a local folder as the sync folder.
I thought that with Duplicati, it encrypts all of your data before it leaves your computer and your encryption key never leaves your computer. So even if someone were to snoop on your data, it's encrypted and your privacy is still protected.

Can anyone confirm if that is true? Is it also the case that things like file names and paths are also encrypted?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

What are people's recommendations for Windows backup software that's just for making local backups? I'm looking for one that can do something similar to Time Machine in macOS, namely:
  • Local backup to an external drive (not cloud backup)
  • Does incremental backups
  • Keeps old versions of files as long as there's enough space on the drive
  • Backups and can restore the entire bootable system as it was at the time of backup, including every partition on my system disk
I've been using the free edition of EaseUS Todo Backup, but after searching around online I don't trust it. People's opinions on it seem to be pretty low across the internet, I'm having it check the integrity of my 2 TB backup and it's been going for 24 hours and it says it has 70 hours left to go which is way too slow, and the one time I've used it to restore my system, it did eventually work, but not until after I tried several different backup points that were all corrupted.

Is my feeling about it on point? If so, what's a good alternative?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

So I've decided to ditch EaseUS Todo Backup Free / Home edition. I'm going to start my backup over fresh with a different piece of software.

Right now I'm eyeballing Acronis Backup TrueImage since people seem to think it's good. Are there any other good ones I should consider? (Note: this is for local whole-disk backups)

edit: wrong Acronis product

GuyGizmo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 18, 2017

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I just did a little research and found that by and large Macrium Reflect is getting a lot of favorable reviews. It seems more in line with my needs than Veeam. And also I found a lot of negative reviews from the last couple of years about Acronis TrueImage, so it may not be as good as it once was. So I think I'll try Macrium Reflect.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I'm coming up on the end of my Crashplan Personal subscription and am re-evaluating what online backup solution I want to switch to. I'm torn between Duplicati + Backblaze B2 and Backblaze Personal Backup.

While originally I liked the idea of using Duplicati (especially since it has better security and a better restoration process), I priced out what it would cost me per year just to back up my main workstation on to B2 and it's more than five times the price of just using Backblaze, as that workstation has nearly 4.5 TB of data on it. And if I wanted to back up my other two systems -- a gaming PC and a media server that combined have 14 TB of data -- then fogettaboutit. I'm starting to think their unlimited data feature is really hard to beat, even if it means the service itself is somewhat inferior.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

I know that when restoring from B2, you can have them send you a hard drive with all your data on it in the mail.

I thought that only applied to Backblaze (the backup service), not B2. Does B2 actually offer that? And if you do it, is it still possible to decrypt and decode the data using Duplicati?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I would go with Duplicati + B2... but I have something like 6 TB to backup. Can't beat that unlimited data you get with Backblaze.

• Locked thread