Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

alo posted:

Do you have lots of data and lots of free time? Tape may be in your future.

No seriously, I did this and it actually worked out pretty well. I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone is seriously considering it.

I actually have a LTO-5 tape autoloader I picked up really cheap to backup my home goodies. I recently learned that cleaning tapes that say "up to 50 cleanings!" means "10, tops, dude". After a few cleanings you're just smearing the poo poo around as the paper towel falls apart in your hand.

My setup is a hilarious rube goldberg contraption of various technologies piled on top of one-another like a house of cards.
Main server is an OmniOS solaris distro with napp-it as the management frontend. The underlying datastores are a pair of 10 disk 3TB and 4TB RAIDZ2 (raid6 equivalent) volumes. Those volumes are shared out via COMSTAR iSCSI to my Hyper-V box, which has a pair of Windows server 2012 VMs on it. One of those VMs is a file server that shares out data to the rest of my network, the other is a System Center DPM server that I use to spin off my 25TB of crap to tape on a quarterly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

alo posted:

What's really cheap?

I'm on LTO-3 since it's less than 100 dollars per drive (I also have an autoloader sitting around, also cheap). I figure that once LTO-5 prices come down on the used market, I'll transition from 3 to 5 (since it's 2 generations newer).

I'm also running OmniOS, but with fewer drives and VMware instead of hyper-v. My backup software is Bareos (bacula fork). I do daily backups of my local and remote machines, then dump them to tape monthly. Media and everything else gets written to tape whenever.

In addition to tape, I have some really irreplaceable data mirrored at a remote site (zfs snapshots) and an extra copy that I update yearly in a safe.

Definitely not bullet-proof, but my data doesn't rely on 3rd party services and it's in enough locations.

I got the whole thing, plus about 90 tapes from an office closure sale for $500. It was a loving steal.

My tapes are encrypted and stuffed in a locked toolbox and kept in a cabinet at my office as an offsite location. I really should set up some DPM agents on my personal machines and do bare metal backups or at least back up my documents, but 99% of my crap is stored on the network drive, so I'm out maybe 3 hours rebuilding my machine completely if it dies in a fire.

The windows shares have VSS enabled, and the users I map the shares with don't have VSS admin rights, so even if I got cryptolockered, unless it ran on my domain admin account, the VSS shares are safe.

Edit: The best part is the backup process takes ~7-9 days at 100MB/sec.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 6, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

I hate tapes. :colbert:

I recognize that they have their uses, but I still hate tapes.

They're great in that I can run a batch, drop them in a toolbox and ignore the gently caress out of them for a year or ten. When things aren't 100% perfect, they're such a huge pain in the dick it's not even funny. Tapes for critical production is why I said gently caress all that and did my nightlies to disk, and ran weeklies to tape. And kept like a month of weeklies on disk too. Tape job fails? Who gives a gently caress, retry it after soothing whatever bullshit error it's throwing this time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

My NAS is a Synology and I've used both the Crashplan and Amazon Glacier packages. Both work fine.

Currently I use a server-level product that I work on--it's free for me, so why not? But totally overkill for normal use.

Comedy option DPM?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

Break it down into chunks that fit your available storage, along some logical lines.

Like maybe folders a-f go to one drive, g-m to another. And so on. Leave a bit of space for growth in each segment.

You could have it check the size of each folder in the root, sort them by size, then alternate them between each pool. That's guarantee a more or less even split as long as the folder sizes aren't hilariously lopsided. And even then, you can split them into sub-chunks.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

JBark posted:

Nightmares

I had something similar, though not nearly as bad. Had the new backup server all fat and happy, shiny new LTO-5 tape deck attached. Got a request to pull a bunch of data off these old LTO-3 tapes. Tapes were apparently made using an old, lovely version of Backup Exec. lovely old backup server doesn't have a PCI-E slot for the new SAS card, so I can't hook up the tape deck. Can't P2V the lovely backup server, because I can't do hardware passthrough on my Hyper-V hosts. Swore, a lot.

Eventually I found an iSCSI tape re-director from Starwind that was free, loaded it up on the new backup server, and was able to publish the tape deck and tape changer to an iSCSI LUN and attach it to the lovely old backup server. Much rejoicing was had. Then I dumped the contents of every single old-rear end tape to scratch disk, and backed it up to new tapes. The old ones were turned into reactive range targets.

Now I use a similar iSCSI tape redirection thing to backup my home crap to tape, which is incidentally what I'll be doing for the next 6-10 days.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

havenwaters posted:

Speaking of Raid it's probably a waste of my time to bother with Raid 6 if I'm going to just have four 6 (or 8) TB drives with no extra space for hard-drives in the case. Might as well just use Raid 1 and two volumes in that case right? No real benefit to go Raid 6/SHR-2 other than one volume in this case.

I bought one of those Xeon Dell Poweredge T20s for $250 and I'm going to use it as an Xpenology box.

If you do the math out and Monte-Carlo simulate it out, raid 6 is something like 3x as fault tolerant as raid 1+0 for an equal number of drives. On a raid 6, any 2 disks can die horribly without issue, but on a RAID 1 pool if two disks in the same pool go poof, you're hosed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I hate to say it, but 50TB stored is right in the sweet spot for a LTO-7 tape deck. Autoloaders can have 8, 16, 24 or 32 tape slots on the cheaper models, and LTO-7 is 6TB native capacity per tape. That's ~9 tapes worth of data right there. Offsite for them could be as simple as 'take to safety deposit box' weekly, up through getting an Iron Mountain contact. A new tape deck and drive from Dell or Quantum is like $6k, tapes are $100/piece.

Disk to Disk to Tape for local stuff/VMs and whatever works very well, the only annoying thing is having to offsite the tapes weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

Is the free Veeam Windows Backup for Endpoint Agent ok to use or just a bait and switch that will eventually be paid?

It looks nice on paper with features like automatic backup when a USB drive is connected, automatic ejecting after the backup (cryptolocker protection), bare metal restore options, email notifications, etc. I need something that's easy to use for my dad's single-user office and Veeam with two rotated USB drives seems like it'd be pretty hands-off.

It works pretty well as long as you have enough NAS storage to deal with having 2-3 copies of all the poo poo you own on your desktop. Save the install files someplace safe, the installer itself defaults to free mode without a dial-home, so it will technically always be free, even if Veeam changes their minds.

• Locked thread