Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
My parent's home backup setup is:

Computers > Crashplan Cloud
Computers > NAS (via Synology Cloud Station)
NAS > External HDD (weekly)
NAS > Secondary Media NAS (weekly)

They have two NAS devices: a Synology DS213+ and a QNAP TS-412. The DS213+ only holds photos, sync'd files, and backups. QNAP holds backups from the Synology and their media library.

CrashPlan runs out in three months and I was wondering if I should switch to SpiderOak (which does file syncing) or Amazon Glacier/Amazon Cloud/Google Drive/etc?

Synology looks to have a Glacier package, which would be great, because then I can backup to the cloud from the NAS, instead of their computers (which they love to turn off at night).

Note that I don't live with my parents and see them once every 2-3 months, so the simpler the solution, the better (which is one pro of Crashplan).

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

If what you have works, I'd recommend sticking with that. But if price and/or convenience is a factor, Synology's glacier backup is pretty easy...

You could also do that in addition to your workstation plan if you're really paranoid.

Guess it makes sense to at least try. My parent's downgraded their Internet service, so I'll probably have to send Amazon an HDD to seed.

Has anyone sent their HDD to Amazon? How simple/painful is the process?

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Here's a horror story about recovery from Amazon Glacier.

How I ended up paying $150 for a single 60GB download from Amazon Glacier

Yeah, saw that. Luckily I didn't have time to set up Glacier at my parents' place.

• Locked thread