Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite Killzone 1 hero?
This poll is closed.
Templar 7 3.24%
Rico 14 6.48%
Luger 23 10.65%
Hakha 64 29.63%
Don't talk to me about Killzone 1 108 50.00%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Don't watch Robocop 2. It's the same movie as Robocop 1 but nowhere near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Have I had a chance to talk about how great the sound design in Killzone 2 is? Well it's awesome. The soundtrack is awesome, the sound effects are awesome, and the voice acting is awesome. Aside from a brief introduction, this video has no commentary, so if you haven't had a chance to experience the game without us talking over it, now's the time (I recommend a decent pair of headphones or proper speakers for the full effect). There's a reason this video in particular doesn't have commentary, though. One, because Chapter 10 itself is LOOOONG. Most chapters can be finished in 15-20 minutes. Chapter 10? You're going to need at least 30 minutes. At least. Thus, we've cut it into more manageable segments, and the first one, Lazar Highway, is the shortest. More importantly, there isn't much soundtrack here. Aside from the opening cutscene and the brief skirmish with tank armour, the OST is absent. In its place is the sound of screaming, gunfire, and what sounds like a frequency test on loop. It sounds strange, but it works in being incredibly unsettling. Fitting, considering we're wandering around the aftermath of a nuclear blast.

Since there's only one version of the video, "Rambo-vision" is turned off here.

It's official: the ISA are screwed.

That's Visari Palace on that clifftop in the distance.

Carlioo posted:

There was a nice piece of scenery at the beginning of the video too: when the camera is panning out with Alpha Team in the middle looking at the destruction of Pyrrhus City and a tank of either side of them, you can see Sev standing far away from Rico and Natko. There's a gap where Garza was supposed to be, and that gap is seperating Sev from the rest of the group.

Killzone 2 is a surprisingly good game for what it is :unsmith:

This is true. I mean, there are a few scattered ISA survivors that we'll meet up with in Killzone 3, but for all intents and purposes, the ISA's ground forces were incinerated in the Red Dust blast. This final mission is a last ditch attempt at getting Visari. If Narville's Convoy can't do it, then this invasion has failed. I'm sure Narville's men are up to the task, though--

Uh.

Heh, Narville has gone full on R. Lee Ermey.

And this is the moment where everyone realizes this has basically turned into a suicide mission. Alpha Squad, the professionals that they are, basically say "gently caress it, let's do this". Aw, yiss.

As an aside, I love that the Red Dust nuke has turned the world red, as if the sky itself is burning.

Remember when Evelyn said she found a smaller Arc Grid, separate from the Tharsis Refinery Grid, beneath Visari's Palace? Yeah! It's relevant now! This is why we can't land our Intruders on the front steps of the palace, or inside a courtyard, or whatever. There are a bunch of anti-air batteries surrounding the place. Also, some of them are large enough to shoot down the ISA Cruisers. So what we're doing now is landing a few miles outside the palace and walking in. Destroy the batteries powering the tower, the Cruisers can bombard them from orbit, and our reinforcements can land in relative safety.

The very first part of Lazar Highway, when you're up against the Helghast turrets on the walkway, is incredibly difficult on Elite. Reinforcements spawn quickly enough here, that you can quickly become bogged down in a prolonged firefight. The hardest part is, since there's not a tonne of ground to gain, it's hard to push forward and easy to be pushed back, Fortunately, the containers provide lots of cover, which is good, because the enemies you're up against here are all armed with LMGs, stationary and otherwise, and they can kill you incredibly quickly.

The trick here is to rush in, get up the stairs, and quickly knife the Medium Mounted Gun troopers. Once they're dead, the door behind them opens up and a few LMG Troopers come out, but at that point, you've broken the defenses, so you can more or less make your way into the hallway at your own pace.

After the brief tank battle, you come out onto the Arc Cannon platform and have to blow up the four batteries powering it. It's a pretty video game-y objective, but this fight is pretty fun regardless. It's a large open space, you can take it in any order, there are Heavy Troops milling about, mounted guns, and troopers just scattered around. It's fun!

Also, Natko's bad joke system is in full swing here and it's hilarious. I mean, like I said earlier, this is more or less a suicide run now. I appreciate that Natko is trying to boost everyone's mood:

quote:

(Direct link to quote)

Narville: The glowing petruside in those towers means they'll go up like fueldrums. Take some D-Charges and give me some fireworks. Those towers are knockin' hell out of our air support.
Velasquez: Alright, pretty simple stuff. Sev, you're on D-Charge duty--Natko and I'll keep the Higs off you.
Natko: Don't worry, Sev. This time I've got your back.

This one is a blink and you'll miss it joke, as Natko's "I've got your back" line isn't subtitled. Also, if you're not thinking about it, you won't truly appreciate it. I mean, why does Natko emphasize those words in that specific manner? If I was to interpret his meaning, and I absolutely am, he's referencing the whole Garza debacle. Last time Sev was in a stressful situation, it was Rico who had his back. The results of which wound up getting Garza killed. Here we are in another stressful situation, and Natko is basically saying, "hey man, don't worry, I'm not going to gently caress things up." It's hilarious, and Rico either a) didn't hear it, b) chose to ignore it, or c) didn't get the reference. You decide.

The next joke is even better:

quote:

(Direct link to quote)

Velasquez: Progress. One down, three to go!
Natko: There's a coincidence! We're one down, and three to go, too!
Velasquez: Shut the gently caress up, Natko!!

:allears: Natko, you're winning me over. Please continue to give Rico a hard time. Please, oh please.

quote:

(Direct link to quote)

Velasquez: Alright, halfway there.

At this point, though, Rico decides it's better to just ignore Natko. *sigh*

With all the batteries destroyed, one of the cruisers from Battlegroup Mandrake swings by to drop the good ol'orbital death laser on the cannon.

Next time, on Killzone 2:

Hey, so now that we've been through Killzone: Liberation, we can look at the History and Politics slides without anything redacted from them. I feel now is also a good time to review them to refresh ourselves on what our mission objectives are--and also since Red Dust's detonation makes it super relevant, it's nice to remind ourselves the role it played in getting to Helghan.

Okay, so that first slide is really just a review of the first game without the redacted names. The next one has some good stuff, though:

Okay, so poo poo, the development of Red Dust had been a Helghast plot from Day One. Stratson, likely under Visari's orders, led the development of the nukes and saw to it that they were shipped off to Helghan, thus advancing the Helghast's nuclear abilities by leaps and bounds. Evelyn Batton was duped--I suppose the silver-lining to her death is that she never lived to see her work be used in such a horrific manner. :smith:

Ah, and the use of bounty hunters to get weapons off of Vekta and to Helghan. These included things like grenades and small arms--it's one of the reasons that so many Helghast are armed with ISA shotguns. Interestingly, it was Phantom Talon Corp that did this. As shown in Mercenary, PTC is working for the ISA at that point in time. You don't start taking contracts for the Helghast until the events of Killzone 2. There are other merc outfits in the Killzone universe: Skull Force Enterprises, and Eclipse Forces, to be specific. I'm trying to recall old intel off the top of my head--I believe Skull Forces are the ones who deliver the weapons to Helghan. Ah, it doesn't really matter in the end, since it's revealed that Phantom Talon Corp runs ALL of the mercenary outfits, and plays them off each other in order to maximize profits.

Haha, and that reminder at the end: Earth told the ISA to re-instate a blockage around Helghan and then leave it. Wait for a third-party to arrive and investigate the situation.

Of course, the ISA ignore Earth's orders. To remind ourselves, though, the Vektan ISA's actual stated mission goals for Killzone 2 are:
  • Remove the Helghast as a military thread.
  • Capture Autarch Visari for a public trial.
  • Establish a more easily controlled regime on Helghan that avoids the oppression that sparked this conflict.

At this point, we might be able to accomplish one of those :yum:

LMG Trooper

These guys are super dangerous! Not only do they have a super high damage dealing gun, but they don't care about cover. They're more heavily armoured. That, combined with the LMG, give them the confidence to basically stand out in the open, raining death upon you. They're also really strong, so they don't need to crouch fire to keep their accuracy. They will kill you while hip firing. They will march towards you like terminators, hip firing, killing you, always, all the time.

Fortunately, there's tonnes of cover in this Chapter, so you'll always have somewhere to retreat to. Ideally, you'll get close and take them down quickly with the knife, but since they almost always travel in groups, this can be difficult. A solid option, is getting an LMG off of one of them. This becomes a problem on Elite difficulty, when you lose the aiming reticles. On Elite, it's honestly best to just keep hold of your ISA assault rifle and try and get head shots with burst fire.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed and you'll be alright. They're mostly a problem in that first stretch of Lazar Highway--but that becomes mitigated if you quickly kill off the mounted gunners to prevent reinforcements.

Mounted Gunner Medium

Operate the same as other Mounted Gunners. The use the mounted guns! Get close or flank them and they'll use their small arms, but by that point, they're easily knifeable. They aren't even that difficult to kill from afar. They're only truly dangerous when supported by other Helghast--as they are in this level. They only appear in the first part of Lazar Highway, so if you use the knife tactic, you'll never have any trouble with them.

For whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be any concept art of the nuke in Pyrrhus City for Killzone 2. Luckily, there's some hauntingly gorgeous artwork of it from Killzone 3 (minor spoilers in this image: yeah, the Helghast started sticking Arc Tech into their cruisers):

There is this sweet poster-like image of Pyrrhus City on fire:

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

killzone 2.jpg

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of sound design, the sound of that Helghast tank's coaxial machine gun is literally almost identical to the sound of a real machine gun firing outdoors.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probably the best part of the video is actually getting to the hear the Helghast's reactions to what's happening around them at this point. They have simultaneously won and lost this conflict, and you can hear how broken and confused they are in their battle chatter. Some of them just turn downright psychopathic after seeing their capital get nuked.

It's really harrowing.

CJacobs posted:

killzone 2.jpg

killzone.txt: "Tomas Sevchenko gets progressively more upset."

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
There was a nice piece of scenery at the beginning of the video too: when the camera is panning out with Alpha Team in the middle looking at the destruction of Pyrrhus City and a tank of either side of them, you can see Sev standing far away from Rico and Natko. There's a gap where Garza was supposed to be, and that gap is seperating Sev from the rest of the group.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So Visari actually wanted to literally starve whatever is on earth to death? Jesus, there's wanting to become the galactic power and then there's Helgast Revanchism. Won't even give them the mercy of a quick annihilation, no, they need to bleed dry until they finally collapse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Carlioo posted:

Ha, nice catch. I was so distracted by the image of Visari's Palace filling that space that I didn't realize who was missing.

Crabtree posted:

So Visari actually wanted to literally starve whatever is on earth to death? Jesus, there's wanting to become the galactic power and then there's Helgast Revanchism. Won't even give them the mercy of a quick annihilation, no, they need to bleed dry until they finally collapse.

Yeah! I know! All those Killzone fans out there who inexplicably worship the Helghast as the "good guys" totally miss the point of the series: there aren't any good guys. Good individuals, sure, as I can get behind Templar being a hero figure (he never used flamethrowers, bolt guns, arc cannons, and other messed up weapons in his game, unlike Sev), but no actual heroic side. It's just a bunch of terrible people fighting similarly terrible people. If Visari were real, he would be actively killing or starving those people who think he's the bee's knees.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

If Visari were real, he would be actively killing or starving those people who think he's the bee's knees.
The "they are an effete and degenerate race that deserves to die!" mentality takes on some really weird forms, sometimes.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Crabtree posted:

No one else has assumed the position of apologist for the space fascists? No one?

gently caress me. :smithicide:

Remember that the Earth Gov did forcible relocate the Helgast to a death world and it looks like Vekka was developing nukes so that they could bomb them from orbit without bothering with a ground invasion.

I would like to state for the record that I SYMPATHIZE more with the Helgast then with the ISA as the "Higgs" seem to have been repeatedly mistreated and lead about by Earth Gov. I don't think the Helgast are the good guys or to be emulated in any way really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's classic cycle of abuse behavior, really. Bad poo poo happened to the Helghast and was formative in turning them into bad people. Makes them sympathetic to be sure, but doesn't excuse that they are bad people who do bad things.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Klaus88 posted:

Remember that the Earth Gov did forcible relocate the Helgast to a death world and it looks like Vekka was developing nukes so that they could bomb them from orbit without bothering with a ground invasion.

This was actually proven in the last history of Killzone update as more of Visari's underlings' designs. So the Helghast kinda went from understandably pissed and almost justified to comically evil. Especially considering Visari just more or less nuked himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pythonicus posted:

Especially considering Visari just more or less nuked himself.

To be fair, that was literally one of the ISA's plans for the things too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I would like to state for the record that I SYMPATHIZE more with the Helgast then with the ISA as the "Higgs" seem to have been repeatedly mistreated and lead about by Earth Gov. I don't think the Helgast are the good guys or to be emulated in any way really.

It's not dissimilar to the modern day rise of Middle Eastern terrorism. While nobody would ever call such groups "the good guys", their formation is predominately a result of American foreign policy turning us into the bad guys for a lot of people around the world.

Cracked actually interviewed a Viet Cong veteran and some of the things he says are really eye-opening. He said that most of them weren't even communists in the true sense of the word, because they held no particular belief in really any "-ism" in their daily life. They fought in the name of North Vietnam not to defeat capitalism or destroy freedom or anything, but because the rampant corruption of South Vietnam's government and the recent fighting for independence led them to choose the side that promised to help them. Some of them fought just because the South Vietnamese government was responsible (or viewed as responsible) for the deaths of loved ones and they wanted revenge. Likewise, quite a few guerrillas fighting the US occupation in Iraq had little to no care for the politics behind it for "hating our freedom" but had lost property, family, and/or friends to the Americans and wanted to fight back.

I think for many Helghast, that may be what it's like. They don't necessarily have a belief in the indomitable Scolar Visari and his cult of personality, or a specific political stake in the war. But they may have lost brothers to the invasion of Vekta or been a victim of the invasion of Helghan, and they join up purely so they can get back at the ISA.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not dissimilar to the modern day rise of Middle Eastern terrorism. While nobody would ever call such groups "the good guys", their formation is predominately a result of American foreign policy turning us into the bad guys for a lot of people around the world.

Cracked actually interviewed a Viet Cong veteran and some of the things he says are really eye-opening. He said that most of them weren't even communists in the true sense of the word, because they held no particular belief in really any "-ism" in their daily life. They fought in the name of North Vietnam not to defeat capitalism or destroy freedom or anything, but because the rampant corruption of South Vietnam's government and the recent fighting for independence led them to choose the side that promised to help them. Some of them fought just because the South Vietnamese government was responsible (or viewed as responsible) for the deaths of loved ones and they wanted revenge. Likewise, quite a few guerrillas fighting the US occupation in Iraq had little to no care for the politics behind it for "hating our freedom" but had lost property, family, and/or friends to the Americans and wanted to fight back.

I think for many Helghast, that may be what it's like. They don't necessarily have a belief in the indomitable Scolar Visari and his cult of personality, or a specific political stake in the war. But they may have lost brothers to the invasion of Vekta or been a victim of the invasion of Helghan, and they join up purely so they can get back at the ISA.

And some of them just join for the rad uniforms. We all know which brokenly evil government gives their troops the more stylin' attire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd also imagine, given the planetary conditions on Helghan, that more than a few Helghast soldiers enlisted simply for guaranteed shelter, food, and water. On a world as harsh, unforgiving, and bleak as Helghan, the military promising three meals a day and clothes for your back must be mighty tempting.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cythereal posted:

I'd also imagine, given the planetary conditions on Helghan, that more than a few Helghast soldiers enlisted simply for guaranteed shelter, food, and water. On a world as harsh, unforgiving, and bleak as Helghan, the military promising three meals a day and clothes for your back must be mighty tempting.

That's actually pointed out in the first Killzone manual. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

The same thing is a major part of the Combine's oppressive rule in Half-Life 2. The Civil Patrol (or "Metrocops") are unmodified humans, who join their ranks in exchange for better privileges and food in return for becoming contributors to the oppression.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Part 2 of the 10th Chapter. CJacobs and JameTheD join nine-gear crow and I. The fighting is about to get intense.

We are now in the courtyard of Visari Palace, and about to encounter the most defiant Helghast opposition yet.

For the most part, what we encounter here is nothing but combat. Wave after wave of Helghast soldier, desperate to stop the invading ISA from capturing their beloved leader. (Wait--when I say it like that, it makes the ISA sound like bad guys???). This area is short, but due to the amount of fighting, it's a slow process making our way through it. So let's take a brief moment to take in the sights.

Perhaps the most obvious structure is the statue of Visari greeting us upon entry. It's befitting a conqueror like Visari stand proud with a sword in his hand. It brings to mind statues of Alexander the Great:

(Statue is in the city of Štip in Macedonia)

Though of course, the difference here is that Alexander's sword arm is raised and Visari's isn't. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that while Alexander the Great conquered MANY territories, Visari conquered none.

:agesilaus:

Banners, flags, icons--you name it, all sorts of Helghast iconography litter this area. You get up close to the walls and you'll start noticing tiny Helghast triads. (You will get up close to the walls, you will need to take cover at some point). The best part is, if you recall from waaaay back in our earliest updates and back in Killzone 1, the triad was simply a Helghan Corporation logo, symbolizing cooperation with each branch symbolizing a member planet of the space-faring alliance: Earth, Vekta, and Helghan. Of course, that meaning has been twisted, but it makes sense that the symbol is plastered everywhere. Not only are we in the Heart Of Darkness heart of Visari's lair and thus the core of his monstrous indoctrination machine, but Visari Palace is actually the old Helghan Corporation administration building. Visari's "throne room" is actually a fancy space-CEO's office.

Which we'll be seeing soon.

Closer up, the building itself is, of course, also covered with Helghast symbols and icons.

Here's a statue that more resembles Lenin:

(Statue in, I believe, St. Petersburg, Russia)

Note, Visari still has to have a sword in his hand.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mentioned in the video that the golden statue in the main hall of Visari Palace was Visari "getting his Kim Il-Sung on", and this was what I was referencing:

The (allegedly) bronze statues of North Korean dictators Kims Il-Sung (left), and Jong-Il (right) at the Grand Monument on Mansu Hill in Pyongyang. You can see the similarities between Sung's and Visari's monuments pretty clearly.

Originally, the monument consisted of just Kim Il-Sung's statue and was finished in 1972 as a tribute to Sung's brutal cult of personality. As you can see in the above post, it was clearly modeled after Lenin's various statues. Lenin was one of Sung's communist heroes, by the way.

In 2012, the monument was modified to install a similar statue of Sung's son and successor Kim Jong-Il after his death in December 2011. (FYI: Kim Jong-Il is propterted to have died in "a fit of rage" over the failure of a power plant construction project. I point that out just because the idea of Kim Jong-Il dying of a literal rage stroke is hilarious.)

Also at the Mansu Hill Monument is a tribute to North Korea's "Socialist Revolution". It features Kim Il-Sung at the head of a swelling army of citizens of all walks of life, leading them onward in a pose somewhat similar to the beckoning posture of Visari's statue as well.

Because remember, Visari's regime has element of all major 20th century dictatorships to it, including North Korea's Juche, which also has its share of tripartite iconography symbolizing the key elements of North Korean society; the farmer, the worker, and the intellectual. Its all a lie, of course, as the one true valued element of the DPRK populace is the soldier, but that's kind of par for the course for any military-backed dictatorship, regardless of its political or social philosophies.

See: the Helghast.

There's a bunch of cool artwork in this building too, which you've all seen in the MISCELLANEOUS sections of the LP already, except for this piece here:

Which I can't find the original concept art of, which is too bad, because it's a cool shot of all the Heghast leadership. It's hard to see, but from left to right you have: Colonel Mael Radec hovering behind Visari's shoulder, Autarch Scolar Visari himself, Colonel Tendon Cobar unfortunately obscurred by my crosshairs, General Armin Metrac, and General Joseph Lente.

We can't look at the cool artwork for too long, though, because Radec and his personal guard show up to try and add a few more notches in their kill count. With Garza, Templar, and Batton all dead at the hands of Radec and co., I'd say they're doing pretty well. Hence, Radec's smug comment here.

Aaaaand now starts THE single most difficult encounter in the game.

Now, don't get me wrong, that courtyard battle is hard. Especially on--you guessed it--Elite difficulty. Wave after wave of Helghast Advanced Troopers respawn, supported by Flamethrower troopers in key locations (such as that balcony I had a difficult time claiming in the video), while people throw Teslite Grenades back and forth. That's only in the first segment, too--but the Radec fight is even more challenging.

But hey, before I get there, I'm going to take a brief moment to talk strategy through the courtyard. If you're playing on any difficulty but Elite, you won't have too difficult a time since you an just pick up one of the many Helghast LMGs that the LMG Troopers are using. Crouch and hip-fire to save time, and you'll be able to kill most enemies, even Pyrotroopers, quickly. BUT on Elite you don't get crosshairs, so you really want to stick with the ol'reliable ISA Assault Rifle and stick aiming down the sights to get headshots. It'll be slow and tedious, since the enemies respawn, but you'll have constant ammunition in the form of the ISA troops who are always at your back--and I mean that you need to be scavenging guns off their corpses :/

Like the Salamun Bridge encounter and the earlier Lazar Highway encounter, as you push forward, your allies will advance. If you retreat, so will they. On lower difficulties, they can usually hold their own for a while as you run back and forth, but on Elite, you'll need to stay at the frontline to keep it from collapsing. This first segment in the courtyard is the easiest one for the battle to sway back in the Helghast's favour. Don't feel down if you get pushed right back to where the ISA intruders keep landing. Try not too let yourself get bogged down into an extended firefight by taking out the Pyrotroopers as soon as possible, claiming that central raised platform above all else. If you can claim it, you're over the worst of it. Be careful in your approach, as the Helghast have a perfect view and excellent cover. In the video, I divert their attention by entering a tunnel underneath the platform, emerging up a stairwell behind their location. It's risky on any difficulty, but especially on Elite, as you're now completely surrounded by Helghast. Though slower, you may find it safer to slowly pick off reinforcements from one of the two side approaches, slowly making your way up to the top--at least you'll have allies behind you pulling fire away from yourself.

Once you make it to the lead up to the front door, you'll get a checkpoint and an ATAC will appear. This ATAC is super easy to kill since it remains mostly stationary and will be otherwise engaged with other ISA mooks. Keep your distance and shoot at it till it explodes. Bullets will kill it eventually (and if you leave it long enough, your allies will kill it for you), but it's super satisfying to take it down with the grenade launcher.

Past that, you now have to work your way around the Heghast's improvised cover of sandbags, boxes, and barbed wire. On either side is a turret you need to be wary of, since they will occasionally reinforce them. The biggest threat will be the Pyrotroopers near the front. Honestly, this part is much easier than the first one, and if you can kill those Pyros, it's a fairly easy matter of slowly working your way up the line, killing enemies when you can, and otherwise taking cover. In this smaller space, your allies will be far more useful, as they'll be able to concentrate their fire on the Helghast (as well as provide more targets).

Of course, the Radec fight is a whole 'nother set of problems since you only get Sev and Rico. I play it in the "normal way", but there's a much easier way that I'm considering re-recording with crow later on. The normal way is as follows, though:
  • Stay with Rico--he'll pull fire as long as he's alive and will sometimes kill Helghast for you, so keep him up.
  • Stay near the entrance area. The entrance area itself is small, yes, but it's covered and has a weapon rack nearby. The pillar will provide some great early cover, and will wind up being a safer place when SMG Helghast start spawning and try to outflank you. Rico will prefer to stand further up, so keep an eye on him as you may need to run in and heal him.
  • Ignore Rico when he gives the order to take up an overwatch position on the balcony. You'll just wind up making yourself a bigger target. Now, SMG Shock Troopers and Pyrotroopers can attack you from two flanks. At least in the entrance area, they sort of need to funnel towards you as long as you don't get surprised by troopers dropping down from the balcony. Also, you'll avoid the chandeliers dropping on you and be able to ignore the whole burning curtain stage hazard.
  • When the rockets start firing, run, get a rifle with decent distance, and take cover behind the furniture piles in one of the upper balcony corners. From the entrance, I prefer the furniture pile on the left-hand side. Yeah, I die a lot in the video, even on Normal difficulty, but you're gonna die a lot anyways. This place provides the most cover. The entrance way is now a death trap, so stay away from it. The statue of Visari provides good cover, yes, but you can easily be flanked by other troopers. Furniture piles are the best cover. If you've used up the ammo in your ISA assault rifle, you'll need to run and grab the sniper rifle--while it's possible to use the Helghast assault rifle, it isn't as accurate, so the process becomes tedious. The ISA assault rifle is actually pretty solid for this job, and I prefer it to the sniper rifle. You get more shots, so you can at least stun the Support Troopers if you miss a head shot. Since there's no additional ammo pick-ups until the intruder crashes through the window, you'll have to ditch it safely early on in the fight to be picked up later, though--keep track of where you drop it if you do this.
  • If the Support Troopers aren't dead by the time the Intruder crashes, charge them. They'll panic and won't be able to fire up close. I do this in the video.
  • Don't let Radec train his guns on you. For the most part, this won't be a problem. Every once in a while, Radec will find himself in a perfect position to shoot at you and he'll rain down LMG bullets. Running is an option, but you can also cause Radec to disappear for a while if you fire back. He'll activate his teleporter and move somewhere else.
  • Stay healthy. Checkpoints are few and far between. If you're too cavalier, you'll probably die and lose progress. On reflection, I don't believe this final fight actually has respawning enemies. That's a problem you deal with in the courtyard battles, yes, but my experience with the Radec fight is that there's a limited number of guards. It's a large number, but if you're constantly killing soldiers--it doesn't matter what type, you'll eventually trigger the next segment. SO DON'T PLAY RECKLESSLY!!! Even if the battle seems to be stretching, the enemy forces will eventually run out and you'll trigger the next wave and a checkpoint.

Cool. If you can do that, then--

--you get to fight Radec. Now, like the lead up, there's the "Normal Way" and the "Easy Way". I play the normal way in the video. Radec has a few dedicated attack patterns: 1) spam Teslite grenades, 2) use his LMG, and 3) use his Rambo knife. In between attacks, he'll disappear and teleport around the room. His teleportation device makes a noise when activated, so if you have a decent sound system or headphones, you can actually hear where he's appearing. Watching for the flash of light will also help. Mostly, just keep moving. If you stay in one place, he'll easily overwhelm you. Ignore Rico, except to heal him. Radec is smart enough to know that you're the bigger threat, so he'll mostly ignore Rico, but having Rico up means he'll occasionally provide additional fire support.

W/r/t his attack patterns, here's how to deal with them:
1) Teslite Grenades - Keep moving. Teslite Grenades deal damage over time, so as long as you're moving, you shouldn't take enough to die. The grenades themselves don't disappear with Radec's cloak, so keep an eye out for a floating Teslite Grenade and shoot at it. After enough damage, he'll usually switch to--
2) The LMG - deals a tonne of damage, and Radec's a good shot! If you can put something between yourself and Radec, do it, but don't rely on cover. Remember, he can teleport behind you. If he appears in front of you, back away while keeping sustained fire on him. The Helghast SMG is ideal for this since he'll usually teleport pretty close and the sheer amount of bullets you spit out will keep him from shooting at you.
3) The Rambo Knife - is what he'll start using more often near the end of the fight. He can basically one-hit kill you on Elite, so keep your distance. It's not worth it trying to knife him back. Same deal with the LMG, though. When he appears, back away and lay down sustained SMG fire on him until he disappears.

If you feel like making him suffer, don't forget about the flamethrower. The flames mark where he is, making it easier to shoot at him. However, the persistent damage means he'll be constantly be teleporting around the room, which might actually make the fight more difficult for you. Also, a burning Radec is just one more stage hazard, so keep your distance. I use it in the video for effect, but honestly, it's simpler to forget about the flamethrower.

(Note the statue: triads within triads. The texture detail is wonderful in this game.)

Eventually, he'll teleport back up to the balcony and stay there. Take cover, as you don't want to redo the fight leading up to this point, and shoot at him at your leisure. He'll eventually fall over, triggering the cutscene:

Yeah, cliff-hanger!!!

Okay, if you managed to beat the Radec encounter on Elite difficulty the normal way, then pat yourself on the back. Hot drat, that's one of the single-most difficult FPS boss fights I have ever fought. Anyone else fought Radec? Please chime in with your experience. The man is drat good at killing, and you will die, again and again and again.

Sheesh.

Fortunately, there is an easier way to win--and it's HILARIOUS.

The key to an easier victory is--

Wait for it--

Are you ready?

Killing Rico.

No, that's no joke. See, the doorway you enter to get to the final encounter? That door doesn't close until both Sev and Rico are through it, but the Radec fight encounter triggers once you enter that room. See where I'm going with this? Knife Rico outside of the room until he collapses. DO NOT HEAL HIM. Go through the doors as Sev, trigger the fight, retreat back through the doors, wait. Don't use your ISA assault rifle, as you'll want to save its ammo. Use your ISA revolver, since it has infinite ammo. Wait for troopers to funnel their way through the door and kill them one by one. Use one of their rifles, if you feel it's going slowly, but don't risk your neck.

Now, be careful when you reach a checkpoint. Remember, whenever a checkpoint is triggered, all your allies are healed, so be ready to re-knife Rico. Once he's down again, resume the fight. Eventually, you'll trigger the Support Trooper wave. Be wary of their rockets! Grab your ISA assault rifle, and carefully take them out. You may need to stick your neck out to mop up a straggler or two, but eventually you'll trigger Radec.

At this point, let Rico get up and enter the room. Honestly, the Radec fight is made more difficult if you try and use the extra space. Run into the room, grab the nearest SMG, and run back to the doors that just closed. The plan is to now hole up in this little hole-in-the-wall. Crouch down and face outwards--Radec will only be able to approach from the front. In such limited quarters, he generally sticks to using his LMG and knife attack patterns to flush you out. LMG is dangerous, since he keeps his distance and you need to hit him with the SMG. Knife is less dangerous. He'll charge your position, giving you free reign to lay down sustained fire. If he does switch to Teslite Grenades, you may need to temporarily abandon your position, but I've found that to be a rare occurrence. It won't take long for the damage to add up, even on Elite, and Radec will teleport to the balcony. Shoot at your leisure.

Congratulations! You just absolutely trivialized Radec's defenses.

Radec and his personal guard:

Aaaaand here's some images of large groups of Helghast:

Planning for Vekta's invasion:

Helghast rally:

Helghan Administration meeting?:

nine-gear crow posted:

It's really kind of a shame that we didn't use the original footage we recorded for the Radec boss fight here because a couple of amazing things happened during it:

1. We set Radec on fire a hell of a lot more than we do in the "official" footage. And we also kill him quicker the first time too :cmon:

2. If Radec is on fire when he dies in gameplay, he will temporarily be on fire in the post-fight cutscene.

And 3. The game glitched out and didn't despawn the hunting knife from Radec's grip as he pulls out his service pistol.

Which leads to amazing screenshots like this one (Warning, slight spoilers in this screenshot, click at your own risk)

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 1, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually still haven't beaten the Radec boss fight. The difficulty is worlds ahead of most of the rest of the game.

Of course, I'm also not pussy enough to turn down the difficulty just so I can beat the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Radec: You have to burn the rope!

Blind Sally posted:

(Statue in, I believe, St. Petersburg, Russia)
Anywhere in Russia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mentioned in the video that the golden statue in the main hall of Visari Palace was Visari "getting his Kim Il-Sung on", and this was what I was referencing:

The (allegedly) bronze statues of North Korean dictators Kims Il-Sung (left), and Jong-Il (right) at the Grand Monument on Mansu Hill in Pyongyang. You can see the similarities between Sung's and Visari's monuments pretty clearly.

Originally, the monument consisted of just Kim Il-Sung's statue and was finished in 1972 as a tribute to Sung's brutal cult of personality. As you can see in the above post, it was clearly modeled after Lenin's various statues. Lenin was one of Sung's communist heroes, by the way.

In 2012, the monument was modified to install a similar statue of Sung's son and successor Kim Jong-Il after his death in December 2011. (FYI: Kim Jong-Il is propterted to have died in "a fit of rage" over the failure of a power plant construction project. I point that out just because the idea of Kim Jong-Il dying of a literal rage stroke is hilarious.)

Also at the Mansu Hill Monument is a tribute to North Korea's "Socialist Revolution". It features Kim Il-Sung at the head of a swelling army of citizens of all walks of life, leading them onward in a pose somewhat similar to the beckoning posture of Visari's statue as well.

Because remember, Visari's regime has element of all major 20th century dictatorships to it, including North Korea's Juche, which also has its share of tripartite iconography symbolizing the key elements of North Korean society; the farmer, the worker, and the intellectual. Its all a lie, of course, as the one true valued element of the DPRK populace is the soldier, but that's kind of par for the course for any military-backed dictatorship, regardless of its political or social philosophies.

See: the Helghast.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually still haven't beaten the Radec boss fight. The difficulty is worlds ahead of most of the rest of the game.

Of course, I'm also not pussy enough to turn down the difficulty just so I can beat the game.

You should try the "Kill Rico" strategy to defeating Radec!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

You should try the "Kill Rico" strategy to defeating Radec!

We should try killing Rico for everything. Can't hurt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's really kind of a shame that we didn't use the original footage we recorded for the Radec boss fight here because a couple of amazing things happened during it:

1. We set Radec on fire a hell of a lot more than we do in the "official" footage. And we also kill him quicker the first time too :cmon:

2. If Radec is on fire when he dies in gameplay, he will temporarily be on fire in the post-fight cutscene.

And 3. The game glitched out and didn't despawn the hunting knife from Radec's grip as he pulls out his service pistol.

Which leads to amazing screenshots like this one (Warning, slight spoilers in this screenshot, click at your own risk)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 19, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I love knifegun and backpack shooting bugs :allears:

Considering how far downhill the situation has gone, and that there's ANOTHER ENTIRE GAME DIRECTLY FOLLOWING THIS, the UCA Inquisitors are going to have their work cut out for them. The Judge Advocate General in charge will have to be an exceptional individual, someone who can stare unflinching into these horrors and still approach both sides with open arms (Warning, Neruzes for a different LP, click at your own risk).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Yeah, let's watch the end of this cliff-hanger, eh?

Uh, wait, I think we made a mistake.

While making this video, we discovered that there are some people out in the world who really, really love the idea of PlayStation All-Stars and who hope for many sequels and spin-offs. Reading through the Wikia is simultaneously hilarious and depressing. The roster choices are completely inexplicable, and character rivals seem to be chosen without any critical thought.

For example, here is a screen shot of one of many colour characters that have been selected for the PSAS 2 Fan Fiction:

So how about it, thread? Can you find the most bizarre PSAS Fan Fiction Wikia roster entry?

Or better yet, can you submit an even more bizarre entry?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Talking poo poo about Dante... Dante is loving great, you shut your whore mouth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I think it's sad/impressive that the freaking PSP game came out better than the original Killzone after finally watching through the videos. The franchise really missed its calling to be the next Smash TV style game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

nine-gear crow posted:

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!

I have no regrets

if you wanna know what the airhorn was bleeping out donate to my patreon

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 21, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Dante is truly amazing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

CharlestonJew posted:

I have no regrets

if you wanna know what the airhorn was bleeping out donate to my patreon

jokes 2 good for the LP subforum

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

I think it's sad/impressive that the freaking PSP game came out better than the original Killzone after finally watching through the videos. The franchise really missed its calling to be the next Smash TV style game.

On one hand, I'm glad they stuck with FPSes, because I really enjoy KZ2, 3, and Mercenary. On the other hand, I wish they continued to make top-down shooters as well. A more polished Liberation-esque sequel on the PSN? I'd be into it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DMC Telenovela? Dios mios, where have you been all my live? :swoon:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

No one else has assumed the position of apologist for the space fascists? No one?

gently caress me. :smithicide:

As bad and corrupt as the ISA is, they're also the people that want to put a leash on the equally blood thirsty Vekkans that, of course, still march onwards to war so they could "neutralize Visari" for good despite commands from an apparently impotent Earth Gov. And as much of a half hearted death sentence as Helgan was for the Helgast, at least it wasn't leaving every inhabitant on a practically dying world to loving starve and blockade any attempt to save them just to stick it to their long dead governments. Helgan at least had resources, it had a chance to survive and the Helgast; if they weren't so enamored with their own pride at being the wronged side and in love with the Great Narrative of Visari, could also have used that great military and technology to LEAVE THEIR HORRIBLE HELL WORLD TO COLONIZE SOME PLACE ELSE. Earth Gov probably wouldn't have given a poo poo if they just packed their bags to control another galaxy, as long as it wasn't Vekka they could have tried to choke hold that corner of the universe and the ISA could maintain with whatever resources came from Alpha Centauri.

I can sympathize with the Viet Cong or some middle east extremist groups as many of them just wanted the aggressors gone from their homes. They don't want to nuke the USA or the west into a desolate wasteland out of spite, they just want America's overeager espionage network and corporate pirates to stop destroying their lives just so some CEO's stock portfolio gets a little bit fatter or a former president could beat their chest about stopping another domino from falling. But Visari has crossed the line into ISIS and Dear Leader territory, as close as you can get into real world organizations that only want to kill anything and anyone that doesn't concede to their demands and will probably sacrifice you anyway even if you do worship the cause. The Autarch sure as poo poo doesn't care about nuking his own territory or leaving most of his people to squalor because he's likely enjoying being the Kim Il-sung of planet gently caress You. He manages to turn his side into the worst bastards among horrible bastards, even when he is practically fighting two governments full of Ricos and stupid turncoats!

My well of sympathy dries quickly to sides who outdo their oppressors in violence simply to show that they can be even more vicious and cruel than they were.

But then again, maybe Earth isn't that bad off if Horizon is actually a strange sequel to Killzone.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Crabtree posted:

projection :rant:

:staredog:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Time for a quick history review, because it's important to recognize who the aggressors are in the Killzone universe lore.

Starting more or less at the beginning:

Humanity needs to take to the stars. Fortunately, all of Earth's governments have watched the Alien franchise and are eager to prevent private corporations from effectively taking over. Governments themselves plan to do the heavy lifting, working together as the United Colonial Nations (UCN). Private companies are allowed aid in the space colonization effort, but may do so only under strict rules and regulations. After all, we don't want the ruling bodies of Earth to be organizations beholden to profit and corporate shareholders, no? Regardless, the Helghan Corporation decides to get in on the action.

This image elaborates on how difficult a time the UCN, a new organization, is having managing all of it's brand new colonies:

Eventually, two planets are found in Alpha Centauri, a lush Eden-like garden planet and a storm-torn rocky planet, that are both possibilities for colonization. The Earth governments reserve rights to these planets for itself, not opening up colonization to competitive bidding for private corporations.

You have to hand it to the UCN. They are a brand new organization trying to micromanage to most elaborate colonization effort in the history of humankind, and they still take the time to root out corruption when it becomes unmanageable:

Unfortunately, bad luck strikes the UCN and they lose the entire fleet of colony ships sent to Alpha Centauri:

In desperation, they turn to private companies. Helghan Corp wins the bidding amid a scandal, giving us the first sign that the CEOs of the company are perhaps not the most ethical of people. You have to wonder if the loss of the UCN's ships was deliberate. Considering how convenient it was for Helghan Corp to have a fleet ready to go in case of emergency, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility to consider that sabotage might have played a role.

Anyways, Helghan Corp makes it to Alpha Centauri and names the planets after itself:

As the colonies develop, the UCN becomes concerned with growing inefficiencies with communication and management. They create the ISA to combat this:

(As a side-note: when I went over these in the Killzone 1 thread, I made a joke about how Gyre would never be mentioned in the Killzone universe ever again. Well, I was totally wrong! As it turns out, Visari sends his daughter (yes, he has a daughter) to Gyre for the duration of the war. I mean, he knows the ISA are coming for him, it makes sense to get his kin to safety. It's also mentioned during Killzone: Shadow Fall. You can overhear some politics mentioning how the Gyre Senate has a majority of Helghast members in it, and that Gyre itself is in negotiations for contract work from the Helghast Labour Union. Neat-o!)

So far, everything has been just peachy. However, the way the colonization efforts work out, it sets it up so that the Helghan Corporation will inevitably conflict with the UCN:

At this point, space travel is near-light speed. FTL travel is a thing of the modern Killzone games, but we aren't there yet. A private corporation now has control of the required space pit stop in the Alpha Centauri system. Want to get to any other system beyond Alpha Centauri? Sorry, you're gonna have to stop at the Helghan Corp Space Station orbiting planet Helghan. We already know the leaders of Helghan Corp are shady, so do you wanna take a guess at what they decide to do with this power?

Well, to start, they manage to get their own militia officially sanctioned, much to the chagrin of ISA leaders:

They also make mad bank seeing as they have a space monopoly on being the "last chance" space gas station:

AND THEN they set themselves up as a civil administration, taking away governing duties from the ISA:

Remember, the ISA is a ultimate a political body. It's beholden to its citizens. And if you go far enough up its ranks, you'll find it reporting back to the UCN on Earth. The Helghan Administration ends with the Helghan Corporation CEOs. Also, the UCN find themselves in between a rock and a hard place and basically have to accept the Helghan Administration's offer to buy out the Alpha Centauri system even though it goes against everything the UCN stands for: letting private companies rule worlds.

Oh, the woes of space economics.

The Helghan Administration quickly moves to make the most of this situation by taking advantage of its "last chance space gas station" to charge increasingly large and thinly disguised travel tariffs over several decades. Of course, Helghan-based ships are exempt from the charge:

Of course, this bullshit tax pisses of the Earth government immensely. See? You see what happens when you let a private corporation take part in an effort to save humanity from extinction? They try to turn a profit:

Now the UCN military arm, the UCA, has a navy to be reckoned with, ready to smash the Alpha Centauri ISA who are, in all likelihood, more loyal to their Helghan and Vektan leaders than Earth at this point in history. Now, if you find yourself thinking, "but Blind Sally, the EarthGov sold those rights to the Helghan Corporation! They're allowed to charge tariffs, even if they are exorbitant and cruel! The EarthGov are being greedy by trying to reign in the powers that they originally gave Helghan Corp! Who cares if EarthGov were in dire straights (that may or may not have been originally caused by Helghan Corp meddling) and had to sell just to ensure their colonies survived? Who cares? This is an infringement of Helghan's rights!", then you're probably a Helghast. Just sayin'.

Note, though, that the wealthy elite of Vekta, WHO OWN COMPANIES OF THEIR OWN IN THE ALPHA CENTAURI SYSTEM, are encouraging the corporate government of the Helghast Administration to keep up the pressure against EarthGov.

EarthGov gets desperate, demands compliance, and the Helghan Administration claims it's seceding from the UCN. EarthGov goes, "oh holy poo poo, we cannot have a private company ruling the stranglehold between Earth and its colonies, this is seriously hosed up", and send in the big guns:

In preparation for EarthGov's arrival, the Helghan Militia tries to co-opt and then expel the Alpha Centauri ISA. Which is hilarious! The UCN built its Heavy Cruisers with the expectation that they'd be facing opposition from ISA loyalists. Honestly, they probably would've fought for the Helghan Administration. Instead, the CEOs start panicking and try a hostile takeover of the ISA, which goes about as poorly as you can expect:

The ISA are then grateful to join up with the UCA Navy when is arrives. The following conflict is a massacre, as the UCN's Heavy Cruisers decimate the Helghan Admin's fleet. Of interest, is the confusing around the destruction of the Helghan Administration's space station:

Both sides point fingers. We will never know what really happened to the space station. Was the UCA Navy being too aggressive? Was the Helghan Administration trying to salt the Earth to make their enemies look bad? Were the disgruntled ISA contingents exacting revenge upon the people they felt betrayed them? Doesn't matter. It happened. Though I will point out that this is not the first suspicion of sabotage that has been laid at the feet of the Helghan Corporation/Administration. If it was indeed self-sabotage, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Helghan leadership, under a different name, would try a similar tactic in the Second Interstellar War (Visari and the Red Dust nuke).

Afterwards, it's basically mop-up duties, since the poorly trained Helghan forces are nothing against the combined ISA and UNA Navy forces:

Now it's true, the Helghan Administration has evolved into something more than just a private corporation by this point. Yes, it is more of a government. It's still one that is beholden to private interests--remember that the wealthy leaders of Vektan companies were the ones who pushed the Administration to oppose Earth rule. You can sympathize with the individuals on Helghan and Vekta, but I'd really hesitate before you start sympathizing with its leaders or the organization itself. That'd be like watching an Alien movie where Earth mustered up the military to put Weyland-Yutani in its place, and then feeling sorry for Weyland-Yutani and its leadership.

No, gently caress Weyland-Yutani. gently caress the Helghan Administration. I know we don't know a whole lot about how EarthGov is run, but I'm going to give the UCN the benefit of the doubt since they represent the planet itself, have made a concerted effort to save humankind, and have a track record of stamping out corruption when it becomes too rampant (see: the dissolution of the UCN Defense Force). I, for one, am glad that the UCN took power away from the Helghan Administration in order to protect Earth and the rest of its colonies.

Now, most Helghan citizens simply want to live their life out in peace and don't care much for space tariffs and space taxes. Unfortunately, there are some Helghan extremists who are really loyal to their company and basically ruin things for everyone:

Naturally, terrorist attacks result in more restrictions:

And get this: THE WEALTHY FAMILIES OF HELGHAN POOL THEIR RESOURCES TO BUY SOME SHIPS TO SETTLE HELGHAN. They weren't sent there by EarthGov. They weren't forced to live on that lovely, lovely rock. They chose to go there. Best of all, they chose to go there because they were sick of restrictions that were being placed upon them because of terrorist events that they were probably funding. Terrorist attacks that were being funded because they were upset that they had been occupied by a force that they instigated a fight with, a fight which they couldn't win because they vastly underestimated the strength of the sleeping giant they were prodding. EarthGov at this point, baffled beyond belief, I'm sure, decides to say "gently caress it" and even recognizes the Helghan Administration as a sovereign nation--which is pretty much what their goal was this whole time.

I love it. I love it so much. EarthGov is tired of these corporate crazies and says "you know what? Fine, you win. You win. Here, take the planet. You want to go live there so bad? You can have it. Fine, whatever. If this makes the terrorist attacks stop, then go. Go live there. I just--I don't even care anymore. Go. You can even be a sovereign nation. That's what you wanted, right? Whatever. I don't even care anymore."

Again, if you're thinking "but Blind Sally, the Helghan Administration's rights! :qq:", then you're probably a Helghast.

Another note: this is the "Great Exodus" that Visari was blathering on about in the opening credits of Killzone 1. Seriously, now that you know the true history of this conflict, listen to how Visari spins it.

Years afterwards, the Helghan settlers remain paranoid FYGM-types who refuse any sort of help from the outside:

Over time, the Vektan ISA get complacent and dismantle most of their fleet, opting instead to build space defense laser to hide behind:

Over the next few years, the third generation of Helghans are born. They are more physically suited to life on Helghan, and health problems begin to disappear. Scolar Visari is born around now, just in time to live through the Great Helghan Depression:

Yup. This is the fault of the Vektan ISA, not the UCN (though you could blame the UCN for leaving the ISA in charge). Still, a narrative is beginning to emerge: it doesn't matter if you're from Helghan or Vekta, if you're an Alpha Centarurian, chances are you're an rear end in a top hat.

It's this period of economic downturn and strife where people like Visari are able to rise to prominence. His oratory skills quickly get him noticed, and he more or less cements his power when he creates the identity of the "Helghast":

United under Visari's vision, the Helghast are able to thrive despite ISA sanctions:

The ISA are so complacent at this point, that even if they wanted to, they can't do anything about Helghast trade. Okay, so the ISA Governor decides to build more, newer space defense platforms, but hey, we've seen Killzone 1, we know how well that goes when Visari decides it's time to invade:

At which point we get the events of Killzone 1 and Killzone: Liberation:

I'm going to point out relevant details. Throughout their history, the Helghan/Helghast have been assholes. They're smart assholes, though. Visari knows that even if he can dismantle the ISA, he'll have to deal with the UCN. Please take a close look at points 8 and 9 of this Nine Point Plan For Vekta's Invasion:
  • 8. Blockade the Earth and strangle the UCN into submission.
  • 9. Capture the UCN Navy shipyards and orbital defenses. Leave Earth's population to starve to death. Build an enormous fleet and establish Helghast hegemony over all colonies.

I mean, I can understand point 6 and 7. Get enough power to defend yourself from EarthGov's fleets, and re-establish your coveted space tariffs. Sure. Whatever. I get it. But those last two? drat! It's clear that Visari blames the UCN for not doing anything about the Vektan ISA's sanctions that lead to mass starvation on Helghan. I get that. I really do. I'm not okay with the whole "eye for an eye" thing Visari has going on, especially since it ultimately isn't about retribution or restitution. For Visari, it's just another stepping stone on his way to becoming the Emperor Palpatine of the Killzone universe.

Now, obviously Visari's plans are horrible. Remember, though, the narrative that has emerged is that, Vektan or Helghan, if you're from Alpha Centauri, you're probably an rear end in a top hat.

I want to clarify the whole Rayhoven nukes thing. The Vektan ISA already have a nuclear program, yeah, but the Red Dust nuke is set on a fast-track development in response to the Helghast invasion. The northern invasion fleet is pushed back easily enough, due to the efforts of Templar and co. combined with General Lente's and General Adams' surprising incompetence. However, General Metrac proves to much more formidable and entrenches the Helghast forces in southern Vekta. The ISA's plan is to develop a tactical nuke that they can use to burn out the Helghast forces. Enter: Red Dust. High explosive, low radiation. Vektans nuking Vektan cities, to purge the Helghast--don't worry, the radiation quickly disperses, so they can resettle. The nukes weren't originally planned for deployment on Helghan, at least from the ISA perspective. Now considering General Stratson led the development of the nukes and he was a double-agent, I can't say what Visari's original plans for the nukes were, but I find the whole situation oddly ironic. The USA ISA develop a nuke to drop on themselves to stop aggressive invaders, but before they can do that, the Helghast steal the nuke and drop it on themselves to stop aggressive invaders.

Have I ever pointed out that it's interesting how close to USA the acronym ISA is? Huh.

Anyways, my favourite moment of "the ISA and Helghast deserve each other" in in Killzone: Mercenary. Spoilers, I guess, but this is Killzone so spoilers don't matter here, but the ISA develop a deadly virus that basically just shuts down all internal organs, killing anyone it comes in contact with. It has limited dispersal, so it's not super effective as a bioweapon. The Helghast steal it during the Vektan invasion, and refine its toxicity before the ISA invade Helghan. Now the virus's longevity is so potent that it is capable of triggering extinction events if proper deployed. The Helghast biologists realize, "holy gently caress, what have we done" and try to destroy it. Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on who you side with), the ISA get it back. Unfortunately/fortunately, A rogue ISA leader decides, "you know what? gently caress the Helghast. The universe would be better off without them" and acts unilaterally to deploy it on Helghan. It's only due to the intervention of a money-motivated mercenary from Earth and a greedy black arms dealer that the virus is captured and destroyed, preventing the extinction of either the Helghast or Vektan populaces.

So remember, if you ever feel yourself starting to sympathize with either the ISA or Helghast, stop and pinch yourself. Remind yourself: you're from Earth. Earth isn't so bad compared to those crazy Alpha Centaurians. Earth is trying to save the human race. Earth tried to stamp out corruption. Earth tried to stop a private company from dominating space trade and exploration. Earth tried to stop the ISA from perpetuating a pointless and costly war by issuing a decree that they not retaliate against the Helghast until they could send an independent third-party to peacefully set up a resolution between Helghan and Vekta. Also, a dude from Earth, a greedy dude who makes a living off of killing people, prevented genocide on either of those planets. So in the war between the ISA and the Helghast, support the UCN.

Yay, Earth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

Yup. This is the fault of the Vektan ISA, not the UCN (though you could blame the UCN for leaving the ISA in charge). Still, a narrative is beginning to emerge: it doesn't matter if you're from Helghan or Vekta, if you're an Alpha Centarurian, chances are you're an rear end in a top hat.
It's like how everyone on Mars is an idiot - my skul-gun is that someone entered the wrong number for oxygen levels into the terraformer and as a result nobody has been thinking clearly for generations.
(Stupidity on Earth can probably be chalked up to Saint's Flow.)

Blind Sally posted:

but the ISA develop a deadly virus that basically just shuts down all internal organs, killing anyone it comes in contact with. It has limited dispersal, so it's not super effective as a bioweapon.
This honestly sounds like something they'd load into their next-generation shotguns or spray out a nozzle. Maiming an enemy carries over to killing their medics and other support personnel. Take a position, you know how to handle it. Lose a position, make the other side eat poo poo.
Truly, perfect weapons for Isaac "The Chlamydia Machine" Clarke.

Blind Sally posted:

So remember, if you ever feel yourself starting to sympathize with either the ISA or Helghast, stop and pinch yourself. Remind yourself: you're from Earth. Earth isn't so bad compared to those crazy Alpha Centaurians. Earth is trying to save the human race. Earth tried to stamp out corruption. Earth tried to stop a private company from dominating space trade and exploration. Earth tried to stop the ISA from perpetuating a pointless and costly war by issuing a decree that they not retaliate against the Helghast until they could send an independent third-party to peacefully set up a resolution between Helghan and Vekta. Also, a dude from Earth, a greedy dude who makes a living off of killing people, prevented genocide on either of those planets. So in the war between the ISA and the Helghast, support the UCN.

Yay, Earth!
Is there any lore that covers the UCA's reaction to the events of 2 and 3? No need to post it just yet, it sounds like thread #3 material, I'm just interested in whether or not it exists.

• Locked thread