Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite Killzone 1 hero?
This poll is closed.
Templar 7 3.24%
Rico 14 6.48%
Luger 23 10.65%
Hakha 64 29.63%
Don't talk to me about Killzone 1 108 50.00%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Rad. Had I done ACAH I probably wouldn't actually ride too hard on it because to me it was still pretty enjoyable and an upgrade to both HAWX games on multiple instances. But then again I seem rather solitary in my viewpoint of it being a really okay game.

Oh, AH is still a fun game, don't get me wrong. It just does the one thing an Ace Combat game should never do: take itself Too Seriously :v:

That's why its going to be so fun to mock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, AH is still a fun game, don't get me wrong. It just does the one thing an Ace Combat game should never do: take itself Too Seriously :v:

That's why its going to be so fun to mock...

That is very true. The same can be said about both HAWX games but I'm generally bad at mocking so I never did that in earnest with those games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Somebody do Lethal Skies 1&2. The translation in the second game degrades with every mission and the briefing VA just starts reading the words with no regard for punctuation or meaning. Plus, they're one of the rare games where the F-22 is a piece of poo poo.
I also want to watch someone suffer through the mission where you have to kill 3 earlier bosses in a row without rearming or refueling.
Or the one where you do a death star trench run through a canyon where everything is firing at you, land on an enemy airfield, roll into a hangar, pick up a dude, blast the other side of the hangar, take off and fly back through the canyon.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Cooked Auto posted:

Rad. Had I done ACAH I probably wouldn't actually ride too hard on it because to me it was still pretty enjoyable and an upgrade to both HAWX games on multiple instances. But then again I seem rather solitary in my viewpoint of it being a really okay game.

It's better than HAWX, but that's not saying much. The story is awful, even by Ace Combat's "Dance with the angels" standards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sometimes the internet is a truly marvelous place :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's true to the game.

nine-gear crow posted:

Until then…

Fin

Also, Ace Combat chat aside, this was a great finisher to the LP. Now I feel like the stakes have been raised for my own epilogue post to Killzone 2 which I've been putting off for months. I'll get it up within the next night or so.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Looking forward to the next Killzone stuff.
Also completely pumped for Ace Combat. I've never been able to play any of those.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'd follow along, but the PS2 AC games are still unavailable on PSN! :argh: And I just happened to sell my PS2 controller,Memory Cards and power cable,leaving a useless husk. :sigh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I'm not going to pretend that I'm going to be able to match crow's finale post for Killzone: Liberation. I thought about gushing over the soundtrack, providing an in-depth analysis of the bizarre worship of Helghast in certain parts of the internet, and even creating an extended Killzone 2 multiplayer video series with crow. Ultimately, these are things I've decided against doing for this LP. Working with crow to LP both of these games simultaneously was a lot of work, and while I'm happy with what we've put together, I'd do things differently in the future. I plan to continue my sabbatical from this series for a while longer, though we do plan to return and finish Killzone 3 at some point. Furthermore, with mine and crow's new console acquisitions, plans for a Killzone: Shadow Fall or Mercenary have gone from "probably not happening" to "definitely maybe happening".

Thanks for sticking around with us through three Killzone games. Killzone is great. Shakespeare is great. All of you who watched the videos and posted in the thread are great. So, again, thank you. What I'm leaving you with for this send of post is a video montage--an idea I shamelessly stole from CJacobs (thanks, buddy!).

Oh, and this, the most important thing we learned about the Killzone series over the course of this LP:

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Furthermore, with mine and crow's new console acquisitions, plans for a Killzone: Shadow Fall or Mercenary have gone from "probably not happening" to "definitely maybe happening".

:ssh:

Seriously though, no real promises, but it's looking more like "when" than "if" now...

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have absolutely no idea where I left off, but I'm glad to see this got wrapped up okay! Whether you play the other Killzones or do something new, I look forwards to seeing what comes next.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 12, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:golfclap:
A fitting end.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So Visari is now standing on Sev's head in the OP?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

A fitting end.

I thought it was fitting.

And ironic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I thought it was fitting.

And ironic.

Another LP ends in a Blind Sally probation.
All's right with the world.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

For the interested: Ace Combat Zero is now live.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I just realized crow made a playlist of all the videos on his channel because I was too lazy to do it on mine. Thanks, crow! Link if anyone wants to binge watch Killzone 2 again.

EDIT: haha, there's one for Killzone: Lib, too, and all our other LPs! crow, when did you do this? Why am I so bad at LPs?!?!

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 28, 2015

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

What song was it that you used for the majority of the video? It was a beautiful choice. The Kendrick Lamar track you used for Rico's fuckup reel was also an excellent choice, but the buildup with the chimes/bells in the Sevchenko portion is particularly well executed.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it by other means. Cliff Martinez' "First Sleep", I believe? Quite the hauntingly fitting accompaniment for Sev's spiral into hell.

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 29, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Realbarrow posted:

What song was it that you used for the majority of the video? It was a beautiful choice. The Kendrick Lamar track you used for Rico's fuckup reel was also an excellent choice, but the buildup with the chimes/bells in the Sevchenko portion is particularly well executed.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it by other means. Cliff Martinez' "First Sleep", I believe? Quite the hauntingly fitting accompaniment for Sev's spiral into hell.

Thanks!

It was Cliff Martinez's "Don't Blow It"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHfXWX5lsw

"First Sleep" is also off the Solaris 2002 OST. Good film! I preferred the Russian version slightly more, but the American version has a superior soundtrack. Beautiful film all round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLV6JrygUb0. The opening continuous shot of Killzone 2 reminded me of the exterior space scenes in the film which led me to experiment with various combinations. I ultimately settled on "Don't Blow It", one, as a jab at Rico, and two, I found the chimes, as you say, to be quite haunting.

That video took me forever to edit. It was easy enough to do the bit with Cliff Martinez's track, as it all just seemed to flow together. I stalled in finding a way to finish it, which is why it took so long to put out. Eventually I realized I just needed to add another song. Kendrick Lamar's epilogue to "Swimming Pools" just seemed to fit, though I also toyed around with using "Alright".

Sally fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 29, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Having basically tuned out from these LPs around the vietnam section of Killzone 1 ( :sweatdrop: ), I'm glad to see this got finished nicely. If you guys do ever go on to 3, ShadowFall and Mercenary, I'll be looking forward to seeing those as well. Mercenary is a really good FPS for being handheld.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
3 is definitely happening. I'm going to finish up with Dark Crusade and then we're gonna start recording it.

I've been proofing the LP before I send it to Baldurk and came across this CJacobs quote from several months ago:

CJacobs posted:

3. Finally, from a philosophical standpoint: Why are you, Sevchenko? Why is Killzone? Why are any of us? I think this one needs no explanation. But I'll explain it anyway because having 3 things on a list is more aesthetically pleasing to humans for some reason. If there was no Sevchenko, there would be no Killzone 2. If there was no Killzone 2, there would be no Let's Play of Killzone 2. If there was no Let's Play of Killzone 2 there would probably be a fully completed LP of Prince of Persia 2008 but that's beside the point. Without Killzone 2, the rest of the series and this thread would not exist and all of the compiled minutes into hours spent recording, editing, and posting therein would be spent doing other things.

Eerily prophetic. Apologies to those who bet in the death contest counter. But don't worry, I'll contrive some way for crow to buy someone an avatar prize. Just wait!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed all your Killzone LPs so far, and will be looking forward to 3.

My only request is to please have CJacobs on as a guest commentator halfway through for some fresh, incredulous takes on the ongoing madness of war.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thank you! If/when Killzone 3 happens, our intention is to drag along CJacobs. His incredulity towards Rico and the Kill Zones is always a pleasure.

In the meantime, we did it! Killzone 2 has been archived. It wouldn't have happened without you wonderful people, so thank you again for the feedback and the discussion which always encourages us to write more nonsense about how a sci-fi shooter series is actually the modern Shakespeare:

http://lparchive.org/Killzone-2/

http://lparchive.org/blurbs/Killzone-2

So that's it. It's really done! Onto new ventures.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crow sent this link my way: http://kotaku.com/killzones-new-art-book-is-a-real-treat-1763642583

quote:

Regardless of its reputation as an OK shooter (though I quite liked KZ3), the Killzone series has always looked fantastic, and a new artbook out that celebrates this is a very good read.

I got a copy of Killzone Visual Design yesterday, and while it ticks all the boxes of what makes a good video game art book—artist commentary, nice big images, clean design—one thing I particularly like about it is that it features quite a few examples of prelimiary linework, which is one of my real game art fetishes.

Most art books tend to focus on final, polished and approved art, the kind of thing a publisher will use in a wallpaper dump, or tweet in promotion. Which is fine, that’s often lovely, but Killzone Visual Design includes loads of very early vehicle and weapon sketches.

Artbook looks pretty rad. If you've enjoyed the art of the games so far and must own a book about it, then I guess this is for you!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't know where else to put this, but thank you CJacobs for creating this masterpiece:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alpha Squad lives on! :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

At this point we're just desperately keeping the thread afloat till Killzone 3 starts, aren't we?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:ssh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yo, a bunch of my LP friends and nine-gear crow are doing a charity stream this Friday. If you want to watch people play video games and give money to charity, well, this is something you should totally check out:

http://www.hitbox.tv/teamfrognugget

*note: times are EST

Also, in news more related to this thread:

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 24, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You have not won! You will NEVER--RICO NO!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm eager to see Rico gently caress up everything for everyone and doom the entire Alpha Centauri system to a few more generations of violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780391

• Locked thread