Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite Killzone 1 hero?
This poll is closed.
Templar 7 3.24%
Rico 14 6.48%
Luger 23 10.65%
Hakha 64 29.63%
Don't talk to me about Killzone 1 108 50.00%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, first of all, I wanted to say this in the other thread, but we're over here now, so: Rest in peace, General Animé. You were too yandere for this world.

Something occurred when I was watching that intro movie: the idea of "taking the fight back to the enemy" is one of the clichés of action movie/action video game structure, the sort of thing that happens in the third act. Here it's literally the entire plot of the game, and the first thing we see is the ISA launching its fleet at Helghan. Also, rather the being the invincible heroes, the ISA soldiers are being cut down in waves. It throws you a bit off balance, like a CoD sequel starting up with the United States invading Russia...then cutting to a burning carrier in the Baltic and dead Yankees in the streets of St. Petersburg. The Vektans look less like The Good Guys and more like aggressors who may have pushed things too far.

Also, I'd have expected the intro to do something like Killzone 1 did and hype up the threat of Visari and the Helghast. Instead, we don't see any Helghast save for the beginning and end of the movie. Hell, they even marginalize Visari by showing his speech, not uncut in an auditorium with cheering Nuremberg crowds, but played on a TV screen and chopped up for a news segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Now, the Helghast speak, read, and right English. Hell, they've got English accents. As far as we're concerned, they're all a bunch of disgruntled Englishmen. That said, when Visari fanned the flames of nationalism, he also pushed for the creation of a specifically Helghast alphabet. It's largely a cipher for the English alphabet, but whatever. Many Helghans can't actually read or write the Helghast alphabet since it's still relatively new. In fact, some of the propaganda posters around Helghan translate to gibberish. Still, it fits the whole nationalistic theme and is reminiscent of America creating its own dictionary after freeing itself from Britain. Webster would be proud.
Well that's interesting...a lot of the new letters seem to be English digraphs that have individual characters in the Slavic languages. Except for the "ng" sound, you can find all those new letters in Russian. Kinda weird that they kept both a "G" and a "J" character instead of dropping one of them.

Also, just thinking of the colors, I've recently started to notice how much the default palette for any oppressive militaristic authoritarian group in fiction is always some combination of red, white, and black. Probably no coincidence those were the colors on the Imperial German flag (and later, of course, on the flag of the Third Reich). as for the architecture, I'd heard that the model the developers used wasn't North Korea so much as the cities rebuilt in Eastern Europe during the days of the Warsaw Pact. Of course, both the North Koreans and the Eastern Europeans were building stuff off of plans developed back in the ol' USSR.

It always comes down to Germans and Russians. That actually might make a good research project: the image of Germany and Russia as enemies of "the West" in fantastic fiction.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So I rewatched Paul Verhoven's Starship Troopers after a few years, and all I could think about was how much it reminded me of what you guys have been saying about the Killzone series. They both seem to be satirizing their subject matter, but playing it so completely straight that you can't really tell unless you know where to look. They both also throw in ridiculous nonsense that seems to be specifically designed to make you question the story (SS Commandant Neil Patrick Harris for Starship Troopers, the Intruders for Killzone). Christ, they even both have Ricos, though the only crime ST's Rico is guilty of is being Caspar Van Dien.

I do wonder if KZ has a leg up over ST by having a humanoid enemy. In ST, it's really easy to see the Bugs as inhuman monsters, even though there are little flashes of there being more to them. In KZ, you're inclined to see the Helghast as having understandable motives, which makes it more likely you'll be willing to start questioning the motives of each side.

• Locked thread