Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite Killzone 1 hero?
This poll is closed.
Templar 7 3.24%
Rico 14 6.48%
Luger 23 10.65%
Hakha 64 29.63%
Don't talk to me about Killzone 1 108 50.00%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is there anyone reading this who actually needs an explanation as to why the Helghan capital is Pyrrhus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Here's something amusing I noticed about the Killzone 2 intro: just before the camera pulls away from Visari's boardcast to reveal Sev for the first time, the last update on the UCBN chyron ticker says "Combat helmets: are they really necessary?"

I find that to be an amusing in-joke, seeing as how the protagonists who don't wear helmets in-game tend to survive improbable events, while the grunts who wear helmets themselves tend to die in droves.

Gears of War also made fun of it, where Fenix mentioned that he doesn't wear helmets because they just block his vision. Even Edge of Tomorrow Live Die Repeat mentioned it, with Tom Cruise always hurling his helmet away to keep his peripheral vision.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Speaking of which, if you haven't watched Lazyfire's LP of Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's really good! The game is a lot of fun, and Lazyfire is a great LPer regardless. Also, there's prequel DLC that is coming out soon which will also, presumably, be covered in it.

He said he plans to do it, probably after he's played through it a bit and can make a good series from it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

The StA-14 reminds me either of a Helghan M1 Garand or an M14 with the ring sight and heavier punch but with lower ammo count.
And no Ping of course. Sadly.

Yeah, the StA-14 has iron sights and a receiver with a very close resemblance to the M1 and M14 (both rifles, because the M14 is a direct modification of the Garand).

quote:

I also enjoy the touch added to assault rifles when they are low on ammunition. As your clip nears empty while you are firing, you will hear a loud clicking noise just before you run dry. This clicking noise signifies that your gun will need to be reloaded soon. I'm not sure if this is a feature in real-world guns, but I love it hear as a nice aural reminder of your weapon's state.

Sadly, this is not a real thing. Preferably your gun makes the exact same sound every time it fires. It's a bad thing when it doesn't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't looked too much at the ISA soldiers, but the Helghast immediately strike me for the relative realism of their design. Many video games totally eschew load-bearing gear of any kind (so it would be impossible for the enemies to carry even a single spare magazine, let alone all the other necessary pieces of kit like water, grenades, first aid kits, food, etc.) or they go for ridiculous combinations that the designers just think look cool (look at Homefront for the worst example, with Boone carrying a light machine gun but having a single assault rifle magazine on the back of his vest). The Helghast load-bearing gear looks to be based on real kit that worldwide armies use and would easily carry their immediately necessary supplies. They even have different pouches and carrying methods based on their weapons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Calax posted:

Motif for the entire Helgan army is rotary stuff (If you look, all their weapons have a six shooter aspect to how they reload... I'm not a gun guy so I don't know what I'm talking about beyond the visual motif)

They're helical magazines. They're used in real life for a few weapons like the Calico series of SMGs, carbines, and pistols and the Bizon submachine gun (which was lifted almost wholesale with barely any modification for the StA-11 submachine gun), as they allow for a high capacity in a relatively compact package. This is an image of what's theorized to be a helical magazine the North Koreans made for the AK (it's only been seen in a few pictures and there's no indication as to whether or not it even works, as opposed to just being a showoff prop for the media):

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So what finally broke the Camel's back and produced Visari? Forced conscriptions and drafts, crippling tax hikes or off-world assholes coming specifically to rule? that sort of thing.
Or was it the slow burn of years upon years of marginalization, exploitation on a nigh uninhabitable world and racial tensions as the Helghan identity as it is came to bear?

Because Visari couldn't have dreamt up the whole 'Helghan as species' deal all on his lonesome, there had to be some hook he could latch onto, or some theory or line of though that spurred him along.

Likely the latter judging from the former website's timeline. There's obviously loads of WW2 allegory in the rise of Visari and their eventual invasion of Vekta (followed by being beaten back to their homeworld, which is in turn counter-invaded). The Helghast spent literally generations being abused and beaten down until (combined with evolutionary mutations to survive on Helghan) they were divorced from any identity related to the Earth and ISA who had put them through hell and back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the gist of it seems to me that calling the Helghast a separate species was probably Visari's own idea, but he tapped into a lot of simmering resentment and feelings of a different identity on Helghan.

Of course, even a rudimentary high school understanding of biology would lead to you calling bullshit on the "separate species" thing. Separate species cannot interbreed, but there's plenty of half-Helghast out there.

It's much like the highly unfortunate and slightly racist tendency of Star Trek to refer to different humanoid alien races that can freely interbreed as different "species" and talk about them having genetic predispositions to certain behaviors.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I just went back through the lore posts in the first thread. Summary:

The Helghan Corporation settled both Helghan and Vekta, the latter named after the Helghan CEO at the time, and focused its efforts on Vekta with only a space station in orbit around Helghan to seed automated infrastructure and mining facilities onto the planet's surface. Due to Helghan's location, any starships passing through Alpha Centauri (there's another colony world in another system beyond named Gyre that's never popped up again) have to travel through Helghan space, and a series of Helghan tolls makes the Helghan outpost, if not wealthy, then at least prosperous. Helghan then forms its own militia, the first non-ISA military force, to perform law enforcement and anti-piracy duties, which starts friction between Helghan the ISA. Before long, the Helghan Corporation in Alpha Centauri is self-sufficient and assumes civic administration duties on both worlds from the ISA, which continues to dictate strict control over many aspects of the economy, government, and military. The ISA's control then weakens further when the Helghan Corporation outright buys the system, effectively removing the ISA from the colonial government and voiding the corporation's yearly tribute of money and resources to the ISA.

As Alpha Centauri in general and Helghan in particular grow in wealth and influence, the UCN - the overall human military commanded form Earth - tightens what control and powers it still has in the system while substantially expanding its military capabilities. Negotiations between the Helghan Corporation (in its capacity as the government of Alpha Centauri) and Earth break down, leading Earth to demand the corporation's fealty and restoration of control of the system to the ISA. The Helghan Corporation responds by formally seceding from the ISA, which in turn sends a massive fleet to reassert control of the system. At the same time, skirmishes erupt on Vekta and Helghan (the planet itself is still uninhabited, its tens of thousands of residents living aboard a vast space station complex in orbit) between Helghan and ISA forces. The ISA troops are experienced and well equipped, the Helghan rebels are not and it's all one-way traffic in favor of the ISA. The story repeats itself when the UCN fleet arrives and annihilates the tiny, poorly equipped Helghan armada. During the fighting, the massive Helghan space station complex is destroyed, both sides blaming the other for its destruction.

With Helghan's station (the planet itself still uninhabited) destroyed, the ISA fleet moves on to Vekta and smashes the Helghan presence there, quickly forcing an unconditional surrender after the ISA fleet commences orbital bombardment. The ISA takes complete control of Vekta and ships millions of colonists from Sol and other systems to Vekta, deeming the Helghan settled there to be uncontrollable, and the new ISA administration of Vekta cracks down ruthlessly on terrorism and any other signs of resistance. The remaining wealthy Helghan citizens of Vekta pool their money to refit old colony ships and head for the desolate, perilous world of Helghan. The ISA agrees and grants ownership of the Helghan colony to the fleeing Helghan Vektans as long as they fund and manage their own colony on that barren rock, then imposes blockades and restrictions.

From there, you get the people who would start calling themselves the Helghast and their generations-old grudge against the ISA.

Long story short, you're technically playing as the bad guys for the whole series.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

How is a flamethrower with a 200 L fuel tank "portable"? That sounds more like a vehicle weapon than an infantry one.

For the record, this is a 200 liter drum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Backstory doesn't say so, just that all ships passing through Alpha Centauri have to pass through "Helghan space" in order to get through the system, any ships heading to or from Sol have to pass through Alpha Centauri, and the Helghan Corporation instituted a toll on any ships passing through Helghan space, a fee they steadily increased as time went on.

Could be indicative of refueling/resupply, could be FTL is short-ranged and ships have to daisy-chain from system to system, who knows.

Since the backstory mentions that they're in the perfect spot to service ships, it's likely something akin to Star Wars with "lanes" of FTL space. The reason is that, obviously, space is constantly moving and there's always a chance that you'll end up running into something awful (if it's possible for your craft to interact with massive celestial bodies like planets or stars in hyperspace, like in Star Wars) or at least missing your target if you make a blind jump. So ships travel on the paths of least resistance, where the motion of celestial bodies will be predictable enough that they can hit the right spot when their nav computer does the math right. The natural consequence of sticking to known routes and windows is that you can't really go off in whatever direction you want. This not only requires you to place resupply stations along routes, but it opens you up to easier blockades if ships can't easily go around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty sure they knew all along that FTL travel was a necessity in their world. It just hasn't really been majorly important to the setting, so they don't need to detail exactly how it works or the differences between Helghast, ISA, and UCN ships. Even the barest knowledge of space would tell you that space travel without physics-defying FTL is unfeasible outside of flying through a single solar system.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pengun101 posted:

melee kills were brutal as hell in 2, mercs and 3. shadow fall kinda does away with them for the most part.

Shadow Fall still has them, but they've greatly reduced the number of potential kills. Likely because you're playing as a Shadow Marshal and thus your character prefers surgical precision to gouging people's eyes out through their goggles with his bare thumbs.

One very neat thing introduced is the ability to stab someone in stealth and then immediately throw the knife at a nearby soldier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IronSaber posted:

The phrase "If you want peace, prepare for war" comes from the latin si vis pacem, para bellum, which itself originates from the Roman writer Vegetius's "De Re Militari." The tract is more or less the Roman version of "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. Additionally, it's where the name of the 9x19 Parabellum round comes from, a bullet used in the German Luger pistols.

Not only made for the Luger, but currently the single most popular and common combat pistol round in the world and the NATO standard handgun and submachine gun round. Whenever you hear someone generically refer to a "nine millimeter", they're likely referring to 9x19mm Parabellum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shadow Fall does have the smaller Petrusite capacitors, which are actually storing the energy generated by Petrusite. There are some mini puzzles and objectives based around removing and inserting Petrusite capacitors to unlock doors and power machinery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So back in the day (read: 2011-2012) I was very heavily invested in amateur action film makers on YouTube like Freddie Wong, Corridor Digital, and Pwnisher. I just remembered that Pwnisher actually made a Killzone 2 fan film! Here it is, in all its shakycam glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ4FGm9Fwvg

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also on the fan film front, we have Killzone Intercept from InfectiousDesigner. This one takes place during Killzone 3, so it'll include spoilers for 2 if you're interested in avoiding those. I'll repost it in the Killzone 3 thread if/when it gets put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9SQduS_r0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The sad part is that Rico's not even at the apex of "Rico behavior" yet. Yes, trust me, he actually gets worse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's honestly kind of disturbing that we're not at Peak Rico. He literally curbstomped an allied soldier to death over being disrespectful and it's not the worst thing he does by the end of the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of sound design, the sound of that Helghast tank's coaxial machine gun is literally almost identical to the sound of a real machine gun firing outdoors.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I would like to state for the record that I SYMPATHIZE more with the Helgast then with the ISA as the "Higgs" seem to have been repeatedly mistreated and lead about by Earth Gov. I don't think the Helgast are the good guys or to be emulated in any way really.

It's not dissimilar to the modern day rise of Middle Eastern terrorism. While nobody would ever call such groups "the good guys", their formation is predominately a result of American foreign policy turning us into the bad guys for a lot of people around the world.

Cracked actually interviewed a Viet Cong veteran and some of the things he says are really eye-opening. He said that most of them weren't even communists in the true sense of the word, because they held no particular belief in really any "-ism" in their daily life. They fought in the name of North Vietnam not to defeat capitalism or destroy freedom or anything, but because the rampant corruption of South Vietnam's government and the recent fighting for independence led them to choose the side that promised to help them. Some of them fought just because the South Vietnamese government was responsible (or viewed as responsible) for the deaths of loved ones and they wanted revenge. Likewise, quite a few guerrillas fighting the US occupation in Iraq had little to no care for the politics behind it for "hating our freedom" but had lost property, family, and/or friends to the Americans and wanted to fight back.

I think for many Helghast, that may be what it's like. They don't necessarily have a belief in the indomitable Scolar Visari and his cult of personality, or a specific political stake in the war. But they may have lost brothers to the invasion of Vekta or been a victim of the invasion of Helghan, and they join up purely so they can get back at the ISA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'd also imagine, given the planetary conditions on Helghan, that more than a few Helghast soldiers enlisted simply for guaranteed shelter, food, and water. On a world as harsh, unforgiving, and bleak as Helghan, the military promising three meals a day and clothes for your back must be mighty tempting.

The same thing is a major part of the Combine's oppressive rule in Half-Life 2. The Civil Patrol (or "Metrocops") are unmodified humans, who join their ranks in exchange for better privileges and food in return for becoming contributors to the oppression.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually still haven't beaten the Radec boss fight. The difficulty is worlds ahead of most of the rest of the game.

Of course, I'm also not pussy enough to turn down the difficulty just so I can beat the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And there we have it. Peak Rico.

You've finally reached the end. Scolar Visari himself, literally Hitler or Kim Jong-Il, is standing in front of you defenseless. You've fought hard, and now you can capture him. Give him a trial. Completely break the leader of the Helghast back on Vekta or even Earth and show how pathetic and defeated he is on galaxy-wide television. It would be a massive demoralizing blow to the Helghast, and giving Visari a fair trial could even make the ISA look better for not simply going the evil route and executing him out of hand.

And Rico goes and pops him.

Rico just turned Scolar Visari into a martyr. There's no longer a dictator to break and bring into court for all the galaxy to see. Now, someone even worse can take Visari's place and use his "sacrifice" as a means of galvanizing the Helghast against the ISA to an even greater degree than they already are. On top of all this, it's pretty clearly a war crime. All because Rico couldn't control himself.

Keep in mind as you watch Killzone 3 that literally every event of that game is 100% Rico's fault.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glazius posted:

I really do question how ultimately useful having Visari alive would be. This is a dude who nuked his own city to make a point, so while his life might mean slightly longer lives for our protagonists if he survived as a bargaining chip, it can't really help whatever larger cause they might be after.

It would allow for a morale blow to the Helghast by breaking him with imprisonment and interrogation and then publicly showing his weakness. Instead, he had a death that could be treated as "heroic" that instantly turned him into a martyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, it's very easy to propagandize the way Visari died. In reality he was an unarmed prisoner who berated the soldiers coming to capture him until a trigger-happy lunatic gunned him down against orders, but that's absolutely perfect to build a North Korea-style narrative where he proudly defied the ISA as they stormed his palace and died spitting in the face of their oppressors.

• Locked thread