Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Alot of this is going to be taken from my post about this in my Sundance topic because I'm lazy

It Follows is the unholy love child of an 80s slasher film and The Ring stripped down to the most basic elements. The film is a deconstruction but not in the usual sense. It's not a film that takes elements and then points to them and then comments on them. It’s a deconstruction almost in a culinary sense in that it takes the base elements of something well known, does them really well and puts them all front in center without anything muddling them. It takes tropes that are mostly unquestioned in horror films and just runs with them. This isn't a film about making fun of or analyzing the elements of a horror film. It's more about taking some basic elements, adding nothing them and pushing them as far as they'll go. It’s pretty cool.

The setup is pretty straightforward: a girl sleeps with her new boyfriend for the first time. In their post coital state he chloroforms her and ties her up. When she wakes up he tells her that because she has slept with him, she will now have a thing coming after her. It will come at her as slow walking speed thing and can take any form. If it catches her, it will kill her. If she dies, the thing will go after him again. If she sleeps with someone else, the thing will then go after that person. If that person dies, this thing will once again go after her. The monster in this movie is essentially sexually transmitted.

That setup is most of what we get for background. Slight spoiler but It never explains what this thing is and why it does what it does which is the way I like it. The movie is just spent with the characters trying to deal with this thing and find a way around just passing it off to someone else. The characters are all pretty much what you’d expect from a horror movie (the main character girl, the sister, the out of the main character’s league childhood best friend, the cool neighbor, etc…), but they all have more depth to them than those tropes indicate. I’m not going to say that these are amazing characters but they’re likable enough and they act in a way that’s believable given the ridiculous circumstances. They will still act in ways that will urge you to yell at the screen but their motivation is still usually pretty easy to follow.

The movie in general is just really well made with a very dynamic camera that sets up some really good scares. This is a movie where even the jump scares are creative enough that you can’t be too mad at them. The movie has an odd thing where it seems pretty tame except when it’s not. It’s mostly not that violent but when it’s violent, it’s pretty violent. Despite sex being a central plot point, the main character never actually get naked, but the thing that’s pursuing them is often in various unsettling states of undress. It’s a movie that knows how to use its sex and violence and as a result doesn’t use them cheaply, which is rare.

The movie also contains one of the more unique synth scores I’ve ever heard. Done by the guys who did the music for Fez, It’s really jarring and often kind of distracting, sometimes to the point of being comical, but it also sort of rules really hard. It’s hard for me to really judge it because it’s really unique and I’m not sure if it’s so awful that it’s awesome or it’s just awesome. Actually having listened to it more I've determined that, yeah, it's just awesome. I mean just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6LuXPkGfA

So yeah, see this movie. It rules. I loved it and my friend who doesn’t like horror movies also liked it. I’ll be surprised if there’s a better horror movie this year. I think it's coming out March 13th. I only say this because when I look it up that's what it says, so keep an eye out for it.

Here is the trailer (be warned: it gives away a few good scares):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZYbOH0ujw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Angel posted:

Question: I'm thinking of seeing this with a friend who's a feminist horror author. Is that a good idea or bad idea? My understanding from what I've seen of this movie is that it's more about sex-negativity than sex-negative itself, but want to make sure.

the movie isn't really against sex and has an surprisingly realistic view of how people this age view it. There's like one character in the movie for whom sex is this big deal and I think he's more there to give the normal horror movie perspective on all this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

One question though: Do we think she fucks the guys on the boat? I thought she had, but while it's not mentioned again she seems to be of the idea that it's about to turn up again in no time which made me think she hadn't actually gone through with it.

She definitely fucks the guys on the boat but she also doesn't explain what's about to happen to them or anything. She knows that it's just a matter of time before these unprepared guys are gonna get murdered by this thing, so she know it's not a very long delay. It sounds cruel but it's not like they would have believed her if she had explained it. I mean part of the reason that she gets chloroformed by her boyfriend at the beginning is because he knows that's the only way to make sure she takes his message seriously. She doesn't really have the time to do that.

As for the ending, I do admit that it's odd but I still think it's a neat scene. I think it's just one last try at really trying to outsmart this thing before just sort of giving in to it as inescapable. I do agree that the movie seems unclear as what to do next but neither do the characters and they're just trying some crazy idea. That doesn't fulyl excuse it or anything but I think it's still a cool rear end scene so I can't be too annoyed at it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's always unfortunate how the majority of indie horror gets released. I mean this movie has 95% on RT right now and it's just gonna be shown in a handful of theaters before being released on demand which means most of the potential audience will just pirate it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously.

Doesn't this kind of stupid poo poo basically beg for piracy?

I'm still annoyed that Magnolia, who bought both V/H/S and V/H/S/2, have a thing where they tend to make the movie available on demand months before they bring it into theaters. I really don't get why they think this is a method that would benefit anyone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think they cancelled the VOD because it was doing better than expected and they're giving it wider release from 32 theaters to 1000. Unfortunately home releases are on tuesday and theatrical releases are on Fridays. Still that means that just because it's still not playing near you now, it doesn't mean it will nit be coming near you. At worst you'll just have to wait a little longer for the VOD.

I know it's aggravating to have this delayed but this is a very good thing for a very good movie. It's nice this movie is actually being given a chance to make money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is that AMC theaters apparently will not show a movie that is also on demand at that moment, do if they want the wide release they literally had to delay the VOD release.,

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well at least with that post you're making it clear what type of people won't like this movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Daveski posted:

How bloody/gory is this movie? Probably going to drag my girlfriend to it tomorrow, but she can't stand gore or excessive blood. I took her to Hobo with a Shotgun once and she's been wary of anything I pick since then :v:

It's not too bad really. There isn't much death in general. What's there is graphic but nothing compared to HWAS.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

BTW I think it's strongly implied that she didn't actually gently caress them. They probably were rightly weirded out and told her to get lost. Consider that she doesn't seem to get even a small bit of reprieve from IT and its implied she's still cursed since Paul offers to have sex with her.

I don't know where people are getting this impression. What would be the point of the scene if nothing happened? What would be the point of hiding the fact that nothing happened? She also does get a reprieve, it just doesn't last long because the guys don't know what's coming for them..

quote:

I think it would have been pretty funny for there to have been an after credit scene where A black title screen of "Two Months Later" comes up and suddenly Paul is in a doctor's office. The off screen doctor says to him "I'm sorry, you have tested positive for HIV." And he just looks right into the camera and goes "oh gently caress!" *cue creepy theme music.* Missed opportunity guys.

No offense, but this is like the worst idea ever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry. Poe's law and all that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I took the "I did that and it didn't work out" to more be referring to her sleeping with a friend to spread it and thinking they would be able to handle things better. Like I said before, I just don't see why the movie would be shy about telling us if she's didn't have sex with the boat dudes? Like what purpose would e movie being vague about it have? It doesn't even change all that much other than making the movie sort if lamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the score wasn't really doing what synth scores typically do. It wasn't trying to invoke a retro feel or there to give it ironic an ironic edge. It was just sort of abrasive and otherworldly, constantly overhitting emotional cues. I thought it was kind of unique and sort of awesome.

• Locked thread