Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Saw it tonight; I thought it was creepy, but I'm still trying to nail down in my head what it was trying to say. I thought it was surprisingly ambiguous in places, (the whole bit of "Did they or didn't they?" the movie sets up with Jay and the boat guys and Paul with the hookers; it seems some in the thread thought they totally did, but I'm not so sure, especially given Greg's death and its manner) but the problem with ambiguity is that it muddies the waters a bit as to what the film is about and what the monster is supposed to represent. Still, it was absolutely the kind of horror I prefer (suspense and the building of tension as opposed to a gorefest or endless jumpscares) so I did like it.

One thing I want to mention is the one time we hear an adult speak (or one of the few) is in Jay's class, where her teacher is reading a poem. That poem is T.S. Eliots The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, the story of a lonely, middle aged man who desperately wants companionship in the possible form of a sexual relationship, but never makes that desire known out of fear of rejection and the baggage such a relationship would bring. An interesting choice of poem to be sure, as that is when the entity starts coming after her, and what form should it take? That of an old woman. Whether it was intentional to draw parallels or not, I dunno, but nice moment either way.

I believe my favorite part of the whole movie was at her house after her encounter at the school. Just the whole buildup of Jay walking into the kitchen after her window gets broken... that was some pure horror movie magic, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Don't forget the kid next door that spies on Jay in the pool. I think all the others are strangers, such as the Old Woman and the Tall Man.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

If you're in the Washington DC Area, it's playing at the AFI Silver in Silver Spring, Regal in Hyattsville, the Arclight Bethesda, Angelica Pop-up, West End, AMC Lowes Georgetown... Not the E-Street, which surprises me.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

*The same sex-negative subtext already exists with her potentially having sex with the three guys are the boat. Jay gives up her dignity and jeopardizes others in a desperate bid to avoid confronting the source of her trauma.

I'd just like to say at this juncture that I really do appreciate the decision by the director to leave the spoilered part of this post ambiguous. It strikes me as a deliberate decision because, when you get right down to it, it doesn't actually matter if Jay went through with sexing the boat guys or not, because either way, it's pretty loving traumatic. If she did go through with it, she has to deal with giving up her dignity and getting three strangers killed just to buy a few days of rest... and if she doesn't, she has to deal with the shame that she's willing to sacrifice other people for her own survival, and even got as far as getting in the water before having second thoughts. Either way, her innocence is destroyed, and there's no going back (represented by the hole in her backyard pool); a lesser director might have confirmed it one way or the other, but that would take away from the entire theme of the piece. The horror of this story is not found in any bad choices the characters might make, but that the reality of the Follower makes such choices necessary.

• Locked thread