Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
A full list of where it's expanding can be found at the website here, though local theaters will probably have their listings up by now : http://itfollowsfilm.com/screenings

Is this the type of thing where I can drag some friends who don't usually do the arthouse thing and expect them to like it, or should I wait for cheapass Tuesdays and just see it by myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I like Scott Mendelson and he's usually pretty on-point but he had to say SOMETHING was flopping this weekend to get pageviews, considering everyone out there was trying to undercut Get Hard and Home and they're both doing fine.

A $4 million weekend for a movie on 1200 screens that was going VOD just three weeks ago and got next to no publicity is at worst decent and honestly pretty drat good. Would it have done better if it was given a big studio push? Maybe. But that $4 million it's getting in a single weekend is probably very close to what its overall VOD grosses would have been otherwise. It's likely going to crack the top 5 at the box office this weekend, which is impressive no matter which way you look at it. Everyone benefits from this. Horror fans get to see something different in theaters, critic reviews actually had a positive effect on a movie's reception and the Weinsteins and the filmmakers get a return of $10-15 million off the film instead of the $5-10 million they'd get from the original VOD plans.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can't help but feel disappointed that this wide release wasn't the success it deserves to be. I was hoping/expecting this to break and take in something north of $50 million overall. So what happened? And how much do you think it cost for the movie to expand to 1200 theaters? Any chance they lost money because of that? Maybe should have just done VOD so there was no overhead.

Anyhow think this gets a Criterion release?

With digital files being used instead of physical reels these days in theaters, the cost of expanding out to those screens is much less than it used to be. 1200 theaters is a tiny wide release in context, most mainstream horror movies are on between 2,000 and 3,000 screens. A big part of keeping costs down is that the marketing was tiny - the launch was 80 percent word of mouth (I personally watch a lot of TV that would fit in this movie's target audience and only saw one commercial for it).

I said earlier in the thread that the release is underwhelming only because big buzz is always assumed to lead to big grosses, but it was a last-minute expansion of a small-budget film. Of the $4 million they take in this weekend, that likely already pushes the film to profitability, and it can now take advantage of a few more weeks in theaters, a wider word of mouth spread and a bigger video release.

It was never going to do gangbusters, and the fact that people wanted/expected it to do so doesn't make this performance a failure. A top-5 box office weekend is an outright success here.

Edit: just saw that the film as a whole cost less than $1 million, and Weinstein likely picked it up for about that, so everything past this point is pure gravy

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 29, 2015

• Locked thread