Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Just seen this recently and two things comes to mind. First, I have to give some props to the director, since the concept itself isn't that strong and the movie could have been unwatchable in lesser hands. But it was watchable, and for me two things made it so: the wide wonderfully lit shots, and the soundtrack. Both of which may lose their charm over time, but for now when I think of the movie I don't think of the monster or the characters, I think of the strange in-your-face music and the long shots where you try and see the monster in the background somewhere.

Second, even though we have two, I feel like we needed another death scene, something to show the consequences of what happens when It catches up with you. There's a lot of running in the movie, it feels like there needed to be one more "consequences of not running" scene to be effective. I think the opening sequence doesn't quite qualify because at that point we don't know what's going on and it's easy to forget about later.

This movie is like the original Terminator, just with less robots but more robotic sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
And if you were told "if you have sex with this person, you will be marked for death" would you really do it? They didn't know if the plan would work.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jay believes that some creature on the beach is going to kill her, but we all know she is actually just being self-destructive. The wind blew her hair, so she claws one friend in stomach, starts firing a gun wildly at the other, then crashes their car into a ditch.

That's to say the threat isn't death at all, but insanity.

I'm sure the girl at the beginning who had her legs bent the wrong way (not to mention no ties to the main character) is relieved to hear that!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

It didn't do that.

Then what did?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Ok. Who?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
One that we see at some point in the movie, or one that is completely unknown?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
When you get down to it really, all movies are dream sequences.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

quote:

But simply saying this doesn't capture the full impact, which is why it's necessary for the kid to invent a completely different script.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
He's a gimmick and to give credit where it's due, he's usually pretty good at it, but I started posing the simple questions because what he was spouting was nonsensical. The great thing about the Art Critic paragraphs he spouts is that they are really hard to defend against, but when the argument comes down to "Literally nothing you see on the screen happened", that argument can apply to every single film ever and you can't say "that's not true". I brought up the girl in the beginning because there is nothing to tie her in to the other characters, she does not know Jay, she does not know Paul, and she knows what is stalking her because she says goodbye. Oh, I forgot, literally every character is a murderer that no one knows about. Brilliant!

It Follows has lots of subtexts, sexuality, STDs, innocence, and so on. It has enough to say about those, why make things up to try and find more stuff that not only isn't there but is directly pointed out that it is there? Oh yeah, because nothing is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Because there's no textual evidence to support that interpretation.
It's a bad analogy for what happens onscreen.

It's as if my computer just became self-aware.

• Locked thread