Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Was the first girl the same as the girl in Hugh/Jeff's picture from the abandoned house? If so, that would imply Hugh got "it" from infidelity, knowingly or unknowingly passed it to his girlfriend, she was killed by it, and it went back to him, at which point he targeted Jay (and possibly other girls in between).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

MisterBibs posted:

Phoneposting, but did anyone else think someone on the production of the film had a foot fetish? There were more than a few foot-only shots in the first half or the movie (right after the main character has sex, the comatose mom in bed, two shots of the main character's feet at the playground), each time it took me a little out of the movie.

You're the one who just provided a list of foot shots in the movie...

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The ending was ambiguous for sure, with at least three potential paths explicitly suggested:

- They killed it in the pool (that massive amount of blood)
- Paul passed it to a hooker in hopes of that being a good way to get it far away from them. This way, even if it's still alive, it's far from them at the moment.
- Neither of those two things worked (or happened, in the case of option 2), and it is just steps behind them in the last shot of the movie.

I don't feel many good horror movies have happy endings, and I like when there are actually ambiguous factors to consider (as opposed to the cheap "Oh no Freddy is back and the main character would unquestionably be dead if the movie ran even 10 seconds longer!").

The ending of this movie reminded me of (spoilers for the name of the other movie because it suggests the ending shot fairly clearly) Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Sarchasm posted:

Oculus is not a bad movie. It's a solid effort, there's a lot going for it.

Full disclosure: I liked Teeth.

Oculus is not terrible, and it starts out really promising. It's just that it completely loses focus around the halfway point, and then does absolutely nothing of interest until its anticlimactic ending. It's not that I disliked the tone or outcome of the ending, it's just the process of getting there was a complete fumbling of the Chekhov's Gun principle. Chekhov's Gun was fired exactly as the movie tried to make you fear it would be. Compare Oculus's ending to that of You're Next.

I was more disappointed by the movie than upset, as the first half really did build a lot of good will.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 1, 2015

• Locked thread