Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
There's some clear vagina symbolism in the one girls prominently shown clam phone, but I don't really see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The point is vaginas.

Well drat

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I watched it again yesterday - it was obviously less intense on second viewing, but still pretty drat good. It's funny how much work the score alone does for scaring the audience.

Also noticed what's on the roof in that one scene - Grandpa

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zombie Boat posted:

I think the old lady following her is her grandmother too. We see a scene with her mom talking and the shot slowing focuses on a photo in the background of an older couple. It looks like the old woman follower and then grandpa on the roof

Which would make no sense given her immediate reaction and later recount of the story to her friends. You'd think she'd recognize her own grandma

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
He was pretty tall.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

I liked the film, but it's hardly worth a long schelp to see it on the big screen. I don't think there's much in the film that benefits from it, too much.

It has lots of really wide shots where you're contstantly scanning the background to check for weird stuff. And a loud as gently caress scary soundtrack.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Every movie is a sequel to It Follows.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

1stGear posted:

The roof shot pretty much felt like David Mitchell had an idea for a really good shot and didn't care too much about 'the rules' at that moment.

This is partially him being a director early in his career and partly an indication that you shouldn't care about the rules that much.

How is that an indication of being early in his career?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

InfiniteZero posted:

Example:

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage - Dario Argento

drat, I gotta watch that movie now.

edit: While we're at it, where would I start with Argento in general?

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 17, 2015

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Four Flies is playing at a local cinema next week, gonna watch it! Thanks for the suggestions.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Most teenagers can't just fly to Australia to have sex with a random stranger, they are stuck in a place with their parents making sure they don't run off on random adventures.
It Follows is actually a spinoff of the Bond franchise, where It never catches up to the protagonist.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Same as your posting.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That works. The opening vignette is obviously some creepypasta story from the internet, complete with the cliche "and her mangled body was found on the beach the next morning" ending.
Greg did "die" - he's a creep who only played along in order to sleep with a high schooler, and once he got what he wanted he stopped participating in their delusions - so to keep up their shared fantasy, the kids decided that he died. Nobody else does, there are certainly no adults around to care.
Stranger things happen in real life - daddy is never going to notice you as the person you really are before you spill your first blood, and some ghost meme from SA is as good as a father figure as anything for two hormonally confused teenage girls.

All that said, what's not to like about the movie?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It a movie about vaginas, of course it's a clamshell phone.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

lizardman posted:

I'm not even 100% sure why but I think your comment is hilarious. Like I'm imagining the group all gathered around in a committee and at the end: "OK, it's decided. We're all going to gently caress each other".

Worked against IT before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The girl doesn't even die in the movie, it's some poo poo Jay read on the internet that gave her these delusions.

• Locked thread