Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Sorry, just got back from seeing this and will catch up on the thread after I post.

It Follows- 6/10

There's a lot to like about this film, and I can see it being a movie that is really fun to watch with friends who are a) into horror movies, and b) into dissecting a scene/themes of a movie. Unfortunately i didn't see it with someone who really does that latter, because there's a lot to talk about from this film. So much so that I'll guess that it's being discussed at length already in this thread. So until I catch up I don't want to get too into breaking the film down.

What I do want to get into is why I gave it a 6/10. To put it simply, this movie runs too long. This film would make an EXCELLENT short film, say 45 minutes. It would make an even better episode of the Twilight Zone- I really do think you could fit this movie into a 25 minute episode. As a form of entertainment I just didn't feel there was enough meat here to justify a 1:40 hour long movie. The middle really plods along, from the moment they leave Jeff's (?) house to the time where the main character goes swimming in the ocean, the movie becomes borderline boring. The concept for this film is excellent, but I couldn't help but feel that they were limited by the concept. Since the movie never explains to you what the monster is or how to stop it, it loses a key element that most movies use to fill up time. Don't get me wrong, I LIKED that they didn't explain it, it was refreshing, but the trade off is that there's a solid 20-40 minutes where there's really nothing to do. Instead, the movie chases its tail on themes that the first 20 minutes did an excellent job of establishing. Then we get climax of the film and a slow plodding ending that reminded me of the ending to Return of the King, too many false endings that you knew were just setting you up for the inevitable conclusion.

This movie is probably at its best when it's viewed from a critical eye regarding all of the great little homages and care that clearly went into it. I would love to watch a re-cut version that gets it down to 45 minutes because it would probably immediately jump a couple of points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I wouldn't say that I found myself disappointed by it in anyway, I just thought that it could have been tighter. I will definitely be recommending it to friends that enjoy thematic movies. I am surprised though that after reading this thread no one else really seems to mind the run time.

• Locked thread