Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I can play in this small ish game sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

ALRIGHT POQUE START THIS BITCH UP!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I'm here and ready to start the fire

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grandicap posted:

##vote Rurea

Arsonist claim.
the song is called 'we DIDNT start the fire'
come on man

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grandicap posted:

You specifically said you were going to do it. Lynch all liars.

shiiiiiiiit i better full claim

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Do people still claim miller right away? Asking for a friend. The friend is me
Oh

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have an evil butt

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

:regd08:

Alright fools, calm down.

Im Eminem Aligned, friend of all Elton Johns and Billy Joels. Lets just take a step back and SNAP BACK TO REALITY OH THERE GOES GRAVITY
OH THERE GOES RABBIT, HE CHOKED, HES SO MAD BUT HE WONT
GIVE UP THAT EASY NOPE, HE WONT HAVE IT HE KNOWS
HIS WHOLE BACKS TO THESE ROPES, IT DONT MATTER, HES DOPE

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This is dumb

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought flavor didn't mean anything

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Okay well I'm not really eminem aligned, although I really wish I was. Im billy Joel aligned

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Why do you people hate jokephase so much

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

I love it!

The fact that we may have 2 town teams makes this an exciting prospect though!

I dont even care, lets just plorp the most scummy Elton John aligned player today.

I can dig that

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

Hey my billy joels, lets cuddle an elton johner.

##vote asiina

OKAY YOU CONVINCED ME

##vote asiina

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Poque says he made flavor for 13 town roles. so that's 6 eltons and 6 billys with 1 Elton-billy miller. Claiming is dumb and pointless, it doesn't help us get to scum any quicker.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Opopanax posted:

And yet the very next sentence is "The remaining flavors have been given to any non-town as fakeclaims. "

That was my point.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

My guess on the setup is that there's an anti-Elton scum/team (who is probably claiming Billy right now) and an anti-Billy scum/team (who is probably claiming Elton right now), and the group to get rid of the appropriate opposite scum wins the game. The people who honestly don't think there's (at least one) scumteam seem crazy to me, but I guess we can discuss that after N1.
In regards to the bolded:
Then what is the point of having a town? Wouldn't everyone want to keep their alignment hidden if that is the case? 2 scum teams makes no goddamn sense, and even if there ARE two it changes literally nothing for me as a town player.

This is why I think its dumb to claim. People will spend too much time over-analyzing it, only to get nowhere.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What I meant was, it's not the usual setup with one whole town versus a small scum group. Clearly there's more going on here. And the bolded part is exactly what I'm trying to say.

I agree with what you bolded.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD POST IN THIS GAAAAAAAME

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm giving the game a quick once-over before heading out for the night. While I do so - give me your reads on me, PMom, and/or whoever (else?) you find scummiest.

Okay! Lets see,
Pmoms first post is a VT claim, which seems to be his thing

Then this vote on you:

Pinterest Mom posted:

nah you're looking for an excuse to vote for someone
##vote murmur
Which I can see where he is coming from. We were kind of just doing setup speculation / joking and you threw down a serious vote.
I kind of agree with Pmom, I didnt like the implications of your vote. It was based purely on speculation on the setup which I historically never like.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah I probably shouldn't be voting someone who claims to be on my team ##unvote
The (relatively) quick unvote is suspicious to me, but it doesnt ping me on alignment one way or the other.

So in summary, Pmom is playing in a way that is acceptable to me, therefore not very scummy at the moment.

Ernie has a grand total of two(2) meaningful posts thus far:

Ernie. posted:

I win when threats to elton john go away. Which means Elton john himself is in the game and that the billy Joel faction has a killing power.

The reverse must be true. We're playing a soldiers game in one thread.

So instead if wasting time everyone claim your faction!

Ernie. posted:

I have no reason to help you. What have you done as a friend of elton's?
The first post is making a lot of assumptions about the setup and I dont like it. Ernie then starts the mass flavor claim, which I have also stated I don't think was necessary( but its not super terrible )

The second post is directed at Asiina's cry for help after some votes are thrown on to her. Its probably a joke post.

I dont like Ernie's lack of involvement in this game, definitely not what I've seen town-ernie do.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

This is nonsense. Rurea has now played against me as scum twice (maybe three times?). He should know the difference between relying on meta to argue that I'm playing as scum, and relying as meta to prove a negative (which is ... less accurate).

##vote rurea
A vote? For ME? Thanks!

Your reaction to my post makes me think you are scum.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie are you voting me because you think im scum or because you think my opinion is wrong?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Because you're scum. Generating content is not a bad thing but either scum or town can do it when it's this early in the game. The way you're generating content is by saying things you don't believe, though, so I don't see why town Rurea would do that.

Responding to a question from Murmur is generating content?
Also I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that I don't believe in what I say.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

I'll need to read Rurea but this sounds like fake pressure, Ernie.

It's 100% fake pressure

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

I get the same read on Somber that some of you do. But I've been personally responsible for his day 1 death in two games in a row now, so I'm giving him a free pass today.

King Burgundy posted:

Those reactions were amazing if she is scum. Right now she is totally town for me.

King Burgundy posted:

##vote Opop

He's not on my team and he's a miller. Feels good.

I would vote KB for these posts as well.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Please elaborate on each.

Quote 1 : I don't agree with the idea of giving someone a free pass because you feel sorry for them. Either he is your scumbuddy and you are looking for an easy reason to avoid casing/voting him, OR you know he is town(because you are scum) and are coming up with a justification you can fall back on when somber flips town/your alignment comes into question. It is kind of WIFOMy, I will admit it, but something about you agreeing with people that he is scummy but completely avoiding him gives me a bad feeling.

Quote 2: Totally Town :raise: I don't understand how you came to that conclusion without some other knowledge.

Quote 3: Miller vote is a safe vote.

Murmur Twin posted:

Asiina feels really scummy to me just based on tone/effort:

I agree and I am keeping my vote on Asiina.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Opop is at - 1 now FYI

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

no it isn't!

What is your reasoning?
I'm actually curious as I don't really know the merits.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

okay, i will answer this once seriously here in this post and link back to it eternally!

sa mafia has quite the wrong meta about how to deal with millers; they're seen as roles people feel compelled to claim the role so that they don't 'poo poo up' the game later when they're falsely investigated or whatever. in reality, though, it shits up the game earlier! people spend the entire d1 saying things like what Asiina has said, and people automatically assume that there's a chance the person is lying. what it does is bring the argument forward. if the person waited they might have died (which is the best use of the miller role!), or the game might have a rolecop instead of a cop, or no cop etc.

in addition, i feel like claiming miller shits on the spirit of the game. when you're a miller that tells you at least one thing about the game balance: there are going to be one less roles on actual bad-teams that investigate as a bad person. you, out of all townies, have a unique perspective when someone is acting like they want to be investigated. claiming it due to meta expectations also ruins the actual fun of mafia. no one bothers to claim miller when investigated anymore (even though they're super common roles) and i feel like we're really losing something there, because that certain quality of chaos or disbelief that comes with a well-timed counter-claim or appeal to reason is the entire point of playing mafia games, and we've eschewed all of that in the name of efficiency ... in a silly online game that will remain inefficient in a dozen other ways.

a much more reasonable way to play miller is to breadcrumb it, or to claim it when investigated so that you allow other players with different playstyles to actually enact them. and a much more reasonable way to play against millers is to not assume that that player is disposable, or to enable the kind of play that harms games over the long run (but not in the short run). let the game play out as it would without the claim, and let every person cultivate their own personal meta over when and how they claim miller!
Thanks for this Ernie :sun:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Hal is being scummy and only asking questions rather than offering his own take on things! >:[

And he has only posted like 5 posts or something.

I like your thoughts on Grandi but I need to read his posts to confirm.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Sorry about the wrong pronoun in my last post, Rurea. Not sure where that came from.

It's okay don't worry about it girlfriend! :j:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

People could be lying about their alignment, you know.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grandicap posted:

This was a good case, are people not seeing it? I really don't like KB's Opop vote. It feels like he saw the fakeclaim didn't make sense and went to distance.

Like this was Opop vote 2, getting on early enough to not seem bussy. But it is a miller lynch pure and simple from this end. There is a good reason to vote Opop.

I don't get why Grandi would say that his case on Opop is good and ask people to see it, but then call out KB for voting for Opop??? This whole post is contradicting itself.

##vote Grandicap

Grandicap posted:

OK, all of the votes on you are terrible except mine. Mine is awesome and people should follow my lead.

Like, what?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ernie. posted:

This is a false assumption. Without claiming it, what is your role, KB? Do you not believe that the other team might have the same role on it?

I agree. I don't think the two win conditions are in direct conflict with eachother. It doesn't tell me anywhere that Elton John is a threat to me or Billy. It just says when all threats are gone, I win. Who is to say Billy and Elton don't have the same threats?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah I don't agree with what you posted. I think KB is being willfully dense about the game setup and using set-up spec (that is frankly ridic) to avoid engaging.

King Burgundy posted:

To expand on that. Since I'm vanilla, yes, I was making assumptions about how possibly both teams are filled with vanilla's who are just going to hunt each other as scum when there aren't any. The one weird thing in that is Opop's miller claim. If he really flips miller/if there is a night kill, I'll know that there are actually power roles and scum in the game and operate from that position.

This feels to me like a fish for someone to confirm their role.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

And who's to say that they do?

That is the point. We don't know. I am not assuming I am right about anything until we see a flip/nightkill.

Neither am I. Which is why im ignoring the mechanic entirely until proven otherwise. You are doing the opposite.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grandicap posted:

Because it looks like someone latching on rather than agreeing. This is fine around deadline, but that early, it is scummy. I don't like it.
Also my case is good and noone is listening to it. And that makes me sad.

I don't think your case is good. It makes too many assumptions about information we don't have.

Grandicap posted:

I think Opop is fakeclaiming miller. I think this because a miller in a game with actual scum would be the flavor of the scum, not the flavor of the "other" townteam.
If there is no scum team there will be no night kill, and because we have all pretty much flavor claimed this game is stupid and pretty much over.
If there are dueling scumteams it doesn't make sense either. The flavor wouldn't be elton john aligned with a billy song, or whatever he claimed.

Why does noone else see this?
You think Opop is fakeclaiming because of flavor reasons.
You fail to consider the third option: Flavor means nothing and there is one scum team and one town and this is a normal mafia game.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Because we have a fact on the table. There are two claimed town teams. I'm paying attention to what is in front of me. Have you played in a game with two town teams? I haven't.

Nobody claimed scum. I guess there aren't any mafia teams in this game.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

If it's an all vanilla game and there are no scum, Poque is trolling us. And Elton John will win if we successfully eliminate Billy Joel. I think I've stated as much, and so have other people. Why do you keep pretending like I can't hold this opinion as a possibility?

Poque explicitly said he was supplying the scum with town fakeclaims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

He said "any non town" which is non specific enough to gently caress with people.

I guess I just have more faith in the mod/setup :shrug:

• Locked thread